The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vanek's Value (Circa Jan. 2, 2018) Discussion

J.I.A.H.N

7 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Last year he was traded for a bust defenceman (who I imagine had practically zero value in the deal other than being a contract), and a 3rd.

I think it's nieve to think he will be able to get us much more in return this year.  People thinking we are going to get a 1st for him are most likely going to be disappointed.

Not just disappointed, they'll be demanding Benning to be fired because he sucks at trades. :rolleyes:

I'll be happy with a 3rd rounder, anything more is a bonus. And honestly, anything lower, we might as well just keep him and extend him for another year.

4 hours ago, combover said:

I’ve been on the trade all vets and pending ufa train from the start....however after reading some articles I’ve come to realize boeser and vanek are very familiar with one another. Training together in Mimi in the off-season. boeser goes as far as to say he looks up to vanek and that he (vanek)has helped him a lot with becoming a better more rounded player.

the two defiantly have chemistry and while gags has looked ok A better Center say Horvat between those two would be a handful down Low.

What makes the Nucks better down the road a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a boeser who played  with a guy that he himself says he looks up to and works with him as a real mentor. 

starting to think vanek might be a keeper on a short term contract, 2 years say if he’s willing to sign for a reasonable price if he won’t sign or wants to much then see ya

On the fence now with vanek. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Once Horvat is back it would be really interesting to see how he fits in between Vanek and Boeser. If that goes well I wouldn't be against signing him for one more year. Plus you have to think if he contributes well this year, and next year as well it only increases his trade value. Right now Vanek is what he is a 40-50 point guy with half of those points coming on the PP, teams are not willing to pay too much for his services, high 3rd, plus depth player IMO. But if he puts up 60 points this year and next, I could see the asking price rising to at least a high second rd pick. Maybe even a low 1st (prob not tho). All the while helping our young guys become professionals. Boeser as you stated trains with him and looks up to him. Not a bad situation if you ask me!

Though Burrows wasn't scoring like he used to, or the way Vanek is now, he was seen as someone who gets it done in the playoffs, can play on any line, and do the things that win games in playoff hockey. I think that carries more value for a team looking to make a deep run than Vanek who is a guy that a team trying to make the playoffs or fill a hole because of injury might make a move on.

Burrows landed the Sens 1st or 2nd best prospect depending on who you ask, and Hansen (another guy like Burrows) got the Sharks 2nd or 3rd best prospect.

Vanek's maybe a 2nd with a condition that could make it a first (and that feels like a long shot), but probably he's some B+/A- prospect that Benning likes that the other team is ready to move on from. I don't really see Vanek as a fit in Dallas per say, but a guy like Brett Ritchie who is having trouble staying the Stars' lineup but can play a physical game and had 16 or so goals last season is the kind of return I'd expect.

There's also the optics that some GM's might feel like Benning was a big winner at the TDL last year, and they might be more cautious about getting fleeced.

If Vanek expresses an interest in staying past this season, I would keep him.  With what I've seen this season, not just recently, I would say it his TDL value at this pace would be an unproven prospect and a 2nd or 3rd.  The pick spot would be dependent on the quality of the prospect.  Maybe straight up for a high first round pick and no player? 

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, there certainly is a lot of variables...........

I would be interested in Arizona's 2nd rounder......should be around 32nd to 35th OA

I like that pick

so what does it take to get it?

Vanek + 2019 3rd?

I think that's close

Thoughts?

Arizona is last in the standings - they are not going to add a UFA at the deadline.  

Personally I like Vanek, especially his smiling face after scores. There is chemistry between him and Boeser.

If Canucks is in a playoff run, I don't think we should trade him at the TDL.

Assuming Sedins will retire after this season end, he might be a good mentor for the young guns in coming season.

Then, we should keep him.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Forgot about that.

Florida is also out of the playoffs and they traded for Vanek last time around and it didn't go too well.

Maybe a bigger deal with Florida

Tallon wants Guddy

So

Guddy and Vanek

for 

Arizona;s 2nd + Roster RHD

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Maybe a bigger deal with Florida

Tallon wants Guddy

So

Guddy and Vanek

for 

Arizona;s 2nd + Roster RHD

So one of the worst teams in the league this season gives up significant assets for 2 pending UFA's?   Why would they do that? 

8 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Personally I like Vanek, especially his smiling face after scores. There is chemistry between him and Boeser.

If Canucks is in a playoff run, I don't think we should trade him at the TDL.

Assuming Sedins will retire after this season end, he might be a good mentor for the young guns in coming season.

Then, we should keep him.

That's an awful big assumption, Rabbit. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So one of the worst teams in the league this season gives up significant assets for 2 pending UFA's?   Why would they do that? 

Well, Florida has the same amount of point as us, in one less game...so if we are thinking we are taking a run at the playoffs, then I guess Florida should too.

Petrovic is a RFA, like Gudbranson...so that is a wash.............Gud  greater than Petrovic............Gud has way more tangles

Vanek brings a 2nd or a 3rd.......................................................Vanek greater than a 3rd

Tallon wants Gud back...............................................................+

I don't think we are too far away.................

Maybe we add a 2019 5th?..............I mean we always do!

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, Florida has the same amount of point as us, in one less game...so if we are thinking we are taking a run at the playoffs, then I guess Florida should too.

Petrovic is a RFA, like Gudbranson...so that is a wash.............Gud  greater than Petrovic............Gud has way more tangles

Vanek brings a 2nd or a 3rd.......................................................Vanek greater than a 3rd

Tallon wants Gud back...............................................................+

If I'm Florida, why would I seriously risk any future assets for two players who are most likely gonna bolt after the year ends?   (And let's not sell the fairytale that Florida will do it because they're in some kind of "win now" mode because they are not).   

A non playoff team will most assuredly not sell any future assets for 3 month rentals that they have no hope of retaining.  please understand that. 

2 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

If I'm Arizona, why would I seriously risk any future assets for two players who are most likely gonna bolt after the year ends?   (And let's not sell the fairytale that Arizona will do it because they're in some kind of "win now" mode because they are not).   

A non playoff team will most assuredly not sell any future assets for 3 month rentals that they have no hope of retaining.  please understand that. 

You really need to read my post, my friend....again, Florida has Arizona's 2018 2nd...Petrovic is a Florida RHD

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

You really need to read my post, my friend....again, Florida has Arizona's 2018 2nd...Petrovic is a Florida RHD

Yeah, I had Arizona on my brain from a previous discussion instead of Florida....but, the question still is applicable.  Why would Florida do this?  Sell off future assets for rentals just too barely eek into the playoffs?

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Yeah, I had Arizona on my brain from a previous discussion instead of Florida....but, the question still is applicable.  Why would Florida do this?  Sell off future assets for rentals just too barely eek into the playoffs?

Well, if you ever read any of my sht..........that is exactly what I say about the Canucks

But the facts remain......Gudbranson and Vanek.........."could" be a interesting package to the right team

Whether its Florida or someone else, depends on a lot of things.....some of which I happen to agree with you about

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So Florida and Vancouver are in the same situation yet you have Florida as a buyer and Vancouver as a seller.  Again I ask why? 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So Florida and Vancouver are in the same situation yet you have Florida as a buyer and Vancouver as a seller.  Again I ask why? 

Boredom!

But seriously.......

These posts are always just hypotheses 

And even though I do not personally want Vancouver to take a run at the playoffs

Many others do.....so for me, I post a proposal to see if it is a decent idea, and to see what other people think

This also applies to Florida...............some people think they could make it......and there is a rumour that Tallon wants Gud back

So, being the "tanker" that I am, and seeing an opportunity to possibly benefit our team, I post to see what other people comments may be.....

Such as yours.......................all good! Don't mind explaining and all I ask is you accept my reasoning

Not that this or any trade proposal is perfect....or read by Benning

Archived