The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vanek's Value (Circa Jan. 2, 2018) Discussion

J.I.A.H.N

After a 5 point night vs the Hawks, I don't think there is a Canuck fan, that doesn't have just a touch of love for Vanek tonite.

Thinking back over all the years of the Canucks existence, I can't remember to many point performances like that.

Which brings us full circle to the 2018 TDL and the Canucks full season.........

Do we trade him as I surmise was the plan, or do we keep him and take a run at the playoffs?

With all the players coming back in the near future......Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter and Tanev, we should be in a position to make a run at the playoffs....

But points are hard to come by for all teams, and it will take a great run to make it past all the other teams, who are ahead of us. 

Even with a great run, do we keep Vanek? Do we trade him?

With tonight's game against the Hawk, Vanek sits at 28 points and 15th amongst LW's, even before this game, he was in the top 30 LWers

He has shown to be a very strong, versatile player for the soon to be 34 year old (Jan. 19, 1984)

Considering, Burrows and Hansen's values from last year....what is his value, and do we trade him?

My thought is we should, but does it send the wrong message..........is it a different message then when we traded Burrows and Hansen?

I don't think it does, but what are your thoughts? What would his value be? Would you trade him?

Either way, thanks for putting us in this difficult position Thomas! LOL

The way he's been playing for last 15 games and looks like he's going to keep playing this way, and maybe even get better..... I think Vanek is worth what we got back for Burrows.  We should get a Burrows comparable package back. 

Edit: If JB can resign him to a very reasonable contract extension that's not a bad idea. It'll help keep our team competitive next year. Best would be trade him at tdl and sign him again as UFA in the summer. 

Vanek is a one trick pony. He provides offense (when he wants) especially on the PP. 

Vanek can't play defense. In fact, he's atrocious at it. Any team interested in him at the deadline knows they'll only be able to use him on the PP and offensive situations.

There's a reason why he's on his 7th team.

I think the last time he was a rental was in Montreal and they weren't thrilled with what they got. That was 4 years ago and Montreal only gave up a 2nd rounder.

14 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

A late 1st from a contender would be a great return. 

i doubt that would ever happen though, but it would be a freaking huge win for JB at the draft if that happened.

My guess is other teams view Vanek like we all do- he's streaky.  I think his trades in the past actually handcuff JB a bit because he's been traded away for hick picks and didnt exactly light the world on fire.  He would be a good depth player to have though, so I would hope a decent prospect or probably a third round pick.  a second just seems like too high of a pick/too risky for teams to give away for a risky rental.

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

i doubt that would ever happen though, but it would be a freaking huge win for JB at the draft if that happened.

My guess is other teams view Vanek like we all do- he's streaky.  I think his trades in the past actually handcuff JB a bit because he's been traded away for hick picks and didnt exactly light the world on fire.  He would be a good depth player to have though, so I would hope a decent prospect or probably a third round pick.  a second just seems like too high of a pick/too risky for teams to give away for a risky rental.

The beauty about the deadline is teams always overpay and take on very risky rentals. It's basically the July 1st of trades. Stupid/massive signings translated to overpriced trades/rentals. 

Last year he was traded for a bust defenceman (who I imagine had practically zero value in the deal other than being a contract), and a 3rd.

I think it's nieve to think he will be able to get us much more in return this year.  People thinking we are going to get a 1st for him are most likely going to be disappointed.

Yeah I dont see a first.  But a 2nd is entirely possible the way he is playing, imo.

I actually like Vanek.  Hes a little streaky but a solid contributor... Especially for what we are paying him.  If it looks like we are out of the playoffs I'm sure we trade.  But if we somehow do make the playoffs I think we will need his scoring.

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

The way he's been playing for last 15 games and looks like he's going to keep playing this way, and maybe even get better..... I think Vanek is worth what we got back for Burrows.  We should get a Burrows comparable package back. 

Edit: If JB can resign him to a very reasonable contract extension that's not a bad idea. It'll help keep our team competitive next year. Best would be trade him at tdl and sign him again as UFA in the summer. 

I would like to resign Vanek too.  He seems to work really well with our younger guys - especially Boeser.  To keep him though, I think we must move Loui Eriksson, which is (likely) near to impossible.  Given that, we should trade Vanek.  

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

My thought is we should, but does it send the wrong message

It is my thought as well.  Ideal absolutely to trade veteran expiring contracts. Inject some ongoing future life!

Benning has looked good when he has; Burrows & Hansen. Benning has looked bad when he has not; Vrbata & Hamhuis.

Seems to me JB values how the player feels about it? As much as the trade is what most of us fans want.  I suspect he will let the player decide... I think that is what has happened in the past.

As to his value? Right now he certainly looks better right now than Burrows & Hansen did when they were traded... :goat:

Vanek has scored in nearly 80% of the games played in his career and is +11. He could be appealing to a strong depth club looking for scoring, like the California clubs (if Anaheim makes it) or a team like Boston or Columbus. Burrows was a year older at the trade and got a 2 year deal out of it. The value of Dahlen (2nd rd) remains to be seen (same with Goldy - late 1st rd) but if Vanek can keep producing at a decent pace and improve his current +/- ratings he should fetch another prospect of "good - very good" quality. If he turns it on and a team feels they need him (perhaps due to injury) he might fetch a late 1st. Hopefully pick 23!

Last year at 1.3M (Detroit retained 50%) he got a conditional 3rd which ended up being draft pick 71, and depth D Dylan McIlrath. 

I don't think Benning would be looking for draft picks as the main return but rather a prospect - a pick is too far away from becoming a contributing regular. 

Gaunce is in his 6th season since drafted as a late 1st rounder.  Benning thinks Gaunce can score up to 15 goals and Green talks of a two-way powerforward - there's still some ways to go.  Virtanen is in his 4th season and is trying to find his stride - like most in his draft class.  Many also believe that 2020/21 will be a lockout year - i.e. a season where players are not getting NHL experience.  By the time these 2018 picks become contributing players Horvat is at the end of his contract - he is UFA in 5 seasons.  

A 5-point night against the Hawks definitely ups his value, but I give a lot of credit to Boeser, who seems to make all of his team mates better. Special player. I really like Vanek and it's too bad that he may be traded at the TDL. I would think he'd fetch a 2nd, or maybe a 3rd and a prospect. Similar to Hansen's deal. What contending team wouldn't want a gritty, veteran player who can put up 5 points in a game and still provides offense? He's also not expensive, which is even better. If a trade doesn't work out, then we keep him and I'm sure he'll continue to produce. One thing I have to say, it sure looked like Vanek and Boeser were having a blast, and get along like best friends on the ice. The smiles they gave each other after they scored goal after goal. They were having fun.  

I think the Vanek-Gagner-Boeser line will continue to produce and keep the Canucks in games, winning some here and there. In 2-3 weeks time, we'll get the injured guys back, and really make a push for the playoffs. If the Canucks are close, they'll keep Vanek, re-sign him for next year and try the TDL again in 2019.

Archived