The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed? (Discussion/Poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Small wonder.

Give some credence to the general Tank concept.

Finish low, draft high.

Accidentally finish low, still draft high too, like JB.

Point is, no use giving the man credit for having more success at the draft than others, given the record amount of times JB has had top pick in Vancouver, on purpose or not.

Even you could have accomplished this feat. 

I think if we collaborated here, we could do well with our top 10 picks.  I don't think we would do very well after that though.  Like Brock for example. We would likely miss on him.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think if we collaborated here, we could do well with our top 10 picks.  I don't think we would do very well after that though.  Like Brock for example. We would likely miss on him.

One thing I've wondered about is how much time jb can actually dedicate to the draft and future prospects given his role of gm and other demands of his position. Or any gm for that matter. How important are the scouting staff and exactly how much influence they have on the draft.

I'm not sure how unstable this organization is. Maybe they've already made decisions but decided not to make them public yet. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes.  

I like Benning and think he's done a great job so far. Of course, not every deal and draft pick has turned to gold, but no team does this perfectly.

DRAFTING: A-

Good: Demko, Boeser, Brisebois, Gaudette, Juolevi, Lockwood, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro

Not so good (so far): Virtanen, Tryamkin

TRADES: B-

Good: (1) Kesler (for Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Dorsett), (2) 2nd pick (for Baertschi), (3) Shinkaruk (for Granlund), (4) Burrows (for Dahlen), (5) Hansen (for Goldobin, Palmu and Gunnarsson), (6) Pedan and 4th pick (for Pouliot), (7) Subban (for Dowd)

Not so good: (1) Forsling (for Clendenning), (2) Kassian and 5th (for Prust), (3) McCann, 2nd pick and 4th pick (for Gudbranson and 5th pick)

SIGNINGS: B

Good: Stecher,, Garteig, Chaput, Boucher, MacEwen, Chatfield, Holm, Gagner, Del Zotto, Vanek

Not so good: Rodin, Eriksson, Nilsson, Burmistrov

Benning has done well in VAN.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Small wonder.

Give some credence to the general Tank concept.

Finish low, draft high.

Accidentally finish low, still draft high too, like JB.

Point is, no use giving the man credit for having more success at the draft than others, given the record amount of times JB has had top pick in Vancouver, on purpose or not.

Even you could have accomplished this feat. 

Will agree to disagree.   I cannot think of another GM off the top of my head with as short a time in the NHL as GM as Benning has had over the same number of drafts who has done much better.   You can point to Edmonton and Toronto but take away lottery luck and both haven't done all that well (Toronto certainly better than Edmonton). 

I personally think Benning needs to see this through at least three more seasons to see if his team did indeed restock the cupboard sufficiently.   You and ownership may well disagree with me.   Guess what, only ownership will get to decide...:lol:

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Will agree to disagree.   I cannot think of another GM off the top of my head with as short a time in the NHL as GM as Benning has had over the same number of drafts who has done much better.   You can point to Edmonton and Toronto but take away lottery luck and both haven't done all that well (Toronto certainly better than Edmonton). 

I personally think Benning needs to see this through at least three more seasons to see if his team did indeed restock the cupboard sufficiently.   You and ownership may well disagree with me.   Guess what, only ownership will get to decide...:lol:

We are engaged fans.

I welcome all perspectives and enjoy talking about the team.

Especially the management of it. 

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure how unstable this organization is. Maybe they've already made decisions but decided not to make them public yet. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes.  

I like Benning and think he's done a great job so far. Of course, not every deal and draft pick has turned to gold, but no team does this perfectly.

Good: Demko, Boeser, Brisebois, Gaudette, Juolevi, Lockwood, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro

Good: (1) Kesler (for Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Dorsett), (2) 2nd pick (for Baertschi), (3) Shinkaruk (for Granlund), (4) Burrows (for Dahlen), (5) Hansen (for Goldobin, Palmu and Gunnarsson), (6) Pedan and 4th pick (for Pouliot), (7) Subban (for Dowd)

Not so good: (1) Forsling (for Clendenning), (2) Kassian and 5th (for Prust), (3) McCann, 2nd pick and 4th pick (for Gudbranson and 5th pick)

Good: Stecher,, Garteig, Chaput, Boucher, MacEwen, Chatfield, Holm, Gagner, Del Zotto, Vanek

I agree and really I think Jim Benning has done as well as anyone could have done put in his situation. I look at a few things in evaluating his job done overall.

So first of all the way I've seen it as far as short term success goes JB hasn't had a whole lot of luck on his side having his 2 highest paid forwards the Sedins and defenceman Edler offensive game declining and in general not playing good enough overall to play winning hockey. 

Another huge important thing related to short term success is that the team somehow seems to always be decimated by injuries and when you're in the middle of a rebuild with top paid veterans not earning their checks or playing a winning style of hockey you're basically totally screwed. This is something that no GM could have happen in his spot and not see the results of the team really suffer.

For me and others the biggest really no brainer positive thing Benning has done by far and most important is the great young talented kids he's accumulated. It's something we're seeing now and we'll all see come to light more next season and seasons after.  This is something JB had full control of improving and these great young players Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Guadette, Stecher, Chatfield, Brisbois, Sautner and Virtanen (still think he'll be a very good player) to go with Sutter, Baertchi, hopefully Vanek possibly Kane and others is going to be force to be reckoned with in the Conference for years to come. I really have no doubt about this and couldn't be much happier with what he's done here! 

Add in the fact if we draft 1 of the top defensmen available this year hopefully Dahlin it will even things needed out and be that much better overall.

For me the only real so called downside of JB always mentioned is the signing of underperfoming players like Eriksson and Gagner but funny how fans seem to forget is these players were having some real success before they came here and it wasn't only JB trying to sign them at the time. Keeping that in mind it also meant he had to give them more money and longer term to compete to have their services. Really overall it sucks it has to be this way but that's just the way it is but I guarantee if Benning does nothing in the way of free agent signings tonnes of fans would be crying non stop to this day he didn't sign anyone to bolster the lineup! This kind of roll of the dice GM's have to do is just the way it is and for any GM it's likely the toughest part of their job because it's really something once done is completely out of their control if a player for whatever reason sees his production fall off. 

Anyway far as I'm concerned our GM has tried his best and has definitely done well enough for my liking factoring in all important aspects. Sure I'm like every other fan in that I hate losing but I also like to look at the big picture it's just the way it should be for any true fan and I'd love to see a very dedicated, likable and hard working man in JB get his chance to see all his work pay off for at least 3 more seasons because I think he has earned and deserves that chance.

I just hope they let Benning see this through. He's made great strides with our prospect pool and made sure there is a future for this team. It would be terrible if someone else came in as GM after all of Benning's hard work and started changing everything. BigLuongo, I also agree that Benning has had some challenges with vets on the team that are making the big bucks, but not producing like they should. These players also have NTCs or NMCs, so he's stuck. Once the Sedins and Edler are gone, this will look like a different team. Faster, tenacious. Now, what to do with Eriksson...I'll bet Benning would love to have a do-over.     

Sounds like he is coming back. Good news folks!

"I'm really happy with the job he's done.  We've had discussions on what an extension would look like and we'll keep those private for now.

Sounds like he's coming back baby!!!!  

Big trades still possible at this years deadline. Some hard decisions may come up.

Sounds like some pieces the team values as a possible long term fit may be moved out for better quality assets.  Interesting times ahead for sure.

One last post.  Trevor and the team's pro scouting staff are headed to Florida to play golf with Mike Gillis and discuss the teams future!

That sounds promising, not letting Jim Benning finish the job he started would be a huge mistake. The guy deserves a multiyear extension, he has done an excellent job which is even more impressive when you consider what he started with when he was hired.

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very good summary.  I would just probably add under signings that Horvat's contract is looking very good for the Canucks right now.

200+ votes and Benning still hitting an approval rate of 93%.

Good to see.

Very few people in the hockey industry have been disrespected as much as he has been in the past few years.

Er, um, wud duhrekshun is he gogoing?  You don't hear the easterm media trolling him any longer, do you?

The mockery of the Sutter, Gudbranson, Sbisa deals.....were ill-informed imo.

The Baertschi, Granlund, Pouliot heists were underplayed in signficance, as if adding mid range, NHL ready prospects is irrelevent in a 'rething'.

Anyhow - his process has been far more consistent - and easily laid out - for people that actually care or cared to see what he was doing.

The either/or logic of tanking vs 'going-for-it' failed people that didn't understand that neither of those were the approach.  Likewise with the failed impression that the team has had high draft picks 'by mistake'.   That is willfully blind.  The team has taken the valid risk of finishing low in the standings - but did not set out to intend to.  That is not a simple either/or - and the logic failure of either/or thinking doesn't grasp the process.

Benning has been far more balanced - and measured - than I think he's gotten credit for.

Nice to see that these boards - which are absolutely not an uncritical gaggle of pompom wavers - see the value in what he has done and support the right decision - to re-empower him to continue with the transition he's done a great job of executing - in spite of plenty of diffcult conditions and circumstances.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Anyone listen to Elliot’s podcast and catch when he said he talked to one of the gm’s still needing to be resigned. 

I immediately thought of benning.   

No i didn't catch that.  Did he say anything more about the GM's feelings on not being resigned yet?

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Anyone listen to Elliot’s podcast and catch when he said he talked to one of the gm’s still needing to be resigned. 

I immediately thought of benning.   

I did , it has to be Benning he is referring too. Benning took some family time already too and mentioned this job was hard on his daughter

Linden on trades, "We will look at anything we can, make some hard decisions. We understand where we are in the cycle, we need to get younger and faster."

So, the Sedins are retiring? I wonder what "hard decisions" he's talking about, and who the "old and slow" players are.

With his statement, if the Sedins (the two oldest and slowest) are re-signed, then Trev is full of s***.

Archived