The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s intentions with JB

Alflives

Aqualini’s plan for JB  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, Curmudgeon said:

7. Benning's acquisitions that are questionable: Sbisa, Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbranson, Burmistrov, Larsen, Rodin.

If we want to go further with hindsight:

Sbisa - first-pairing DMan on the top team in the West

Eriksson - sure, has been a disappointment thus far, as have other UFAs from that year

Sutter - this has been beat to death; if one doesn't see his hockey value they never will

Gudbranson - as above, and hopefully he's re-signed

Burmistrov - near minimum salary one-year deal, no assets used

Larsen - gave up a 5th for top KHL dman when we desperately needed offense from the back end

Rodin - was always Canuck property, signed him for separate one-year contracts

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

We are a rebuilding club.  We are still  an   old  and small club 

That is on JB.

No more excuses.   

You just said it yourself: rebuilding, not rebuilt.  Rebuilding an engine looks like a disaster until shortly before it's done and things are all put together.  Results at this moment in time are irrelevant; have to look at the big picture and where the club is heading, and that's what he/they will be judged upon.

If ownership truly believed in Benning, he'd have been extended in the summer.  The fact that we're this close to the end of the year, and he doesn't have a contract yet, implies that they've decided to move on (or at least check out their options near seasons' end).

Benning's head is on the chopping block whether you guys want to believe it or not.  The voting here has it ass-backwards, there's nowhere near a 75% chance Benning's back next year, it's really more like 25% given what we've seen happen this season.

And, can you blame them?  We spend right to the cap every year, which gives us a huge advantage over a lot of teams - and yet we've been one of the worst teams in the entire league for years now.  He's supposed to be this brilliant drafter and talent-evaluator - yet he's blown most of his high-picks (and the 'foundational' pieces he paid through the nose for have mostly busted).  He couldn't see the big-picture and wasted years trying to keep us competitive.  Futilely.  His contract and cap-work looks amateurish compared to Gilman's.  His behind-the-scenes work looks amateurish compared to Gillis (remember when Gillis was bringing in all sorts of sleep-experts and stuff like that to give us the tiniest advantage here and there off-the-ice - that all seems to have stopped on a dime once Benning took over and our performace as a team has tanked).  Everyone here hates Gillis, but you all seem to forget that Gillis was fired because he wanted to blow everything up and rebuild.  Just imagine how much further along we'd be if we actually started a full-on rebuild 5 years ago!  We wouldn't have been any worse over the last few years, but we'd be in a MUCH better position right now.

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Opposite.   I can wait for the rebiild.  No problem

i would rather see bigger / faster / younger players in our lineup this year

younger players that have upside

not the older washed up ufa's benning brought in for this yr 

you are the one that needs patience.    Our club is being carried by younger players 

the nhl has gotten younger 

benning needs to give hank and danny less minutes.    Scratch mdz or huddy 

loui e and gagner.  Really ?   Why ? 

You are have an interesting perspective.   Canucks have more youth in the line up and waiting in the wings than they have for a long time and the changeover is very apparent.   The FA signings you keep citing that have zero strings attached are veteran placeholders until the youth fully arrives.   Not sure what you cannot understand about that.

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If ownership truly believed in Benning, he'd have been extended in the summer.  The fact that we're this close to the end of the year, and he doesn't have a contract yet, implies that they've decided to move on (or at least check out their options near seasons' end).

Benning's head is on the chopping block whether you guys want to believe it or not.  The voting here has it ass-backwards, there's nowhere near a 75% chance Benning's back next year, it's really more like 25% given what we've seen happen this season.

And, can you blame them?  We spend right to the cap every year, which gives us a huge advantage over a lot of teams - and yet we've been one of the worst teams in the entire league for years now.  He's supposed to be this brilliant drafter and talent-evaluator - yet he's blown most of his high-picks (and the 'foundational' pieces he paid through the nose for have mostly busted).  He couldn't see the big-picture and wasted years trying to keep us competitive.  Futilely.  His contract and cap-work looks amateurish compared to Gilman's.  His behind-the-scenes work looks amateurish compared to Gillis (remember when Gillis was bringing in all sorts of sleep-experts and stuff like that to give us the tiniest advantage here and there off-the-ice - that all seems to have stopped on a dime once Benning took over and our performace as a team has tanked).  Everyone here hates Gillis, but you all seem to forget that Gillis was fired because he wanted to blow everything up and rebuild.  Just imagine how much further along we'd be if we actually started a full-on rebuild 5 years ago!  We wouldn't have been any worse over the last few years, but we'd be in a MUCH better position right now.

Did you just pop over from HF Canucks...?...

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Around 1998 when I first started using CDC, HF was for the folks who posted in seriousness and with knowledge, while CDC was like a cheer squad. 

Seems to have flipped. 

1998!!!

Wow!  That's 20 years.  I got my first iPad in 2015.   

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Around 1998 when I first started using CDC, HF was for the folks who posted in seriousness and with knowledge, while CDC was like a cheer squad. 

Seems to have flipped. 

At least there's some objectivity on CDC,you do need opposing viewpoints and there's nothing wrong with that...I do believe that HF was once considered a good alternative for knowledgable hockey fans,but its now reduced to a pretty nasty 'echo chamber'.. (the site is obviously declining in viewership from a few years ago.)

25 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

At least there's some objectivity on CDC,you do need opposing viewpoints and there's nothing wrong with that...I do believe that HF was once considered a good alternative for knowledgable hockey fans,but its now reduced to a pretty nasty 'echo chamber'.. (the site is obviously declining in viewership from a few years ago.)

Ya? Haven’t looked in years. Thanks. 

The main thing I didn’t like about this site was the minus button and the shaming of  unpopular opinion. It can be Witch Trials- like here at times and a popularity contest on who is held accountable for abusive posting. 

We have some quality villains here and thank goodness or else it would be like a church or something. I like the fanatics as much as the fence sitters. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You are have an interesting perspective.   Canucks have more youth in the line up and waiting in the wings than they have for a long time and the changeover is very apparent.   The FA signings you keep citing that have zero strings attached are veteran placeholders until the youth fully arrives.   Not sure what you cannot understand about that.

Pretty sure Gagner and Loui E do have string attached...  ( contracts with term )

Your perspective is very unique......

Not sure what you don't understand about signing  older vets past their best before date....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure Gagner and Loui E do have string attached...  ( contracts with term )

Not sure what you don't understand about signing  older vets past their best before date....

Gagner is a 3 year contract which is short-term.  Loui E.  Yup bad contract.  So you basically have 1 bad contract.  Signing older vets past their best before date, they're place holders.  You don't want to rush rookies in who are not ready.  They gave Goldobin a chance when there were injuries, he's just not ready.  These vets are just here until the young prospects are ready to take over.  I just don't understand you saying that you're patient, yet you want to see all these prospects playing, when they're clearly not yet ready to play in the NHL yet.

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Gagner is a 3 year contract which is short-term.  Loui E.  Yup bad contract.  So you basically have 1 bad contract.  Signing older vets past their best before date, they're place holders.  You don't want to rush rookies in who are not ready.  They gave Goldobin a chance when there were injuries, he's just not ready.  These vets are just here until the young prospects are ready to take over.  I just don't understand you saying that you're patient, yet you want to see all these prospects playing, when they're clearly not yet ready to play in the NHL yet.

If 3 is short, what are two or one-year deals?

59 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Getting there. 

Dialup internet and stuff.

Hey, you got your iPad sooner than I did. It still puts in extra words for me all the time. 

My iPad was my first introduction to new tech stuff.  Mrs. Alf bought me a flip phone last summer.  I had to bring it to the supplier to get it to turn on!  I had to hold down the off button for 5 seconds for it to turn on.  Who would have known that, except for a 10 year old!!!  :lol:  Love the iPad though.  It allows me to go places and still be on CDC.  

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Gagner is a defensive liability in his own end....      Really think we could have  have replaced him Boucher...

I would just as soon see what Holm as  MDZ to be honest...

Big mistake not give Archie a contract.... He is exactly the kind of player our club is missing right now...

Would love to Cassels and Demko brought up for a few games...

Don't like seeing a  young kid Hutton scratched and watching MDZ get his minutes....

Why give Virts minutes to Gagner....   also doesn't make sense....

Young guys on the leash while vets get a FREE PASS.     

Opportunities need to earned not GIven......

The young  guys have earned more opportunities in my opinion...   The veteran leadership group of this club is not performing adequately... 

Time to give more opportunities to our  younger players...  Lets see what they can  bring. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gagner is a defensive liability in his own end....      Really think we could have  have replaced him Boucher...

I would just as soon see what Holm as  MDZ to be honest...

Big mistake not give Archie a contract.... He is exactly the kind of player our club is missing right now...

Would love to Cassels and Demko brought up for a few games...

Don't like seeing a  young kid Hutton scratched and watching MDZ get his minutes....

Why give Virts minutes to Gagner....   also doesn't make sense....

Young guys on the leash while vets get a FREE PASS.     

Opportunities need to earned not GIven......

The young  guys have earned more opportunities in my opinion...   The veteran leadership group of this club is not performing adequately... 

Time to give more opportunities to our  younger players...  Lets see what they can  bring. 

If the young guys had earned it, they would be getting it (ie: Boeser).  Vets don't get a free pass, they've earned it from knowing what needs to be done on a daily basis.  There's definitely something that the coaches see that we don't.  But I haven't see Boucher earn the ice time over Gagner, I haven't seen Holm earn ice time over MDZ.  Face it, you just want the young guys in because you're tired of the old, but that is not the correct way to develop players.  Patience is a virtue, which apparently you have none.  Hell according to you, why don't we just play our entire Comets roster and let them all sink or swim.  At least we'll be "younger" and better "defensively".  I'm sure if that happens, the canucks would be getting beat alot worse than when Bo and Sutter were out.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Seems to have flipped. 

Wow lol.  I was still in elementary school in 98.  Oh the times have changed.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I guess myself, and every other GM in the NHL, don't see the world as you do.   I think you need to start a franchise and show everyone else how it is done.

7 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Umm, yeah, I actually can blame them. This whole mess is clearly on Aquilini unwilling to go through a rebuild. It's not Benning who kept us from the rebuild. Hell, you even admit Gillis was fired for wanting a rebuild. So yes, it's the owners who need to be blamed here.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I guess myself, and every other GM in the NHL, don't see the world as you do.   I think you need to start a franchise and show everyone else how it is done.

Great idea 

if i buy a franchise this summer it looks like i could interview benning as my new gm 

i would offer him a job as a scout.  Though.  For a gm i would try to find a more experienced guy 

Archived