The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s intentions with JB

Alflives

Aqualini’s plan for JB  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With less than 14 days to the TDL how much authority does Benning still have in making trades? Is he just another guy in the room, like happened in the last draft?

I don't think there will be anything like an announcement he is fired, I do think he will not be offered another deal, the club has the draft covered with that Judd guy running that and Linden is the MAN in any trades.

IMO Benning is acting as a mouth piece, an advisor and Linden's scapegoat.

well that sure went sideways on you Guardian in pretty timely fashion.

13 hours ago, Isam said:

Thumbs up for the greatest draft day pic of all time.

The upper pic has been well used, and for good reason. Easily woven into an anti Benning narrative. I know it makes no difference, but it's not the whites of his eyes being seen in the pic. His eyes are out of view. The optical illusion is actually a bright overhead light hitting the top of his eyelids.

One thing he should do  different at the draft is not allow the media to know what he is thinking prior to picking....media is not his friends. They can easily pass on his thoughts to other GMs and lose his leverage.

He needs to make his 1st overall picks, his best picks.

Now that it seems they are heading in a direction of "out with the old" and "in with the new (young)" maybe the real rebuild will start.

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

One thing he should do  different at the draft is not allow the media to know what he is thinking prior to picking....media is not his friends. They can easily pass on his thoughts to other GMs and lose his leverage.

are you referring to something specific or just the general tactic of keeping your hands close to your chest?

Bening has actually thrown some misdirection into the media surrounding past drafts - about the only time you'll catch him doing so imo.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

are you referring to something specific or just the general tactic of keeping your hands close to your chest?

Bening has actually thrown some misdirection into the media surrounding past drafts - about the only time you'll catch him doing so imo.

Yeah, not sure if the videos of him talking about picks and his intentions are from his own group or from a third party prior to making the pick or making his intention known publicly. Videos could come out later, but knowledge can be passed on...for instance, being video recorded and saying Pettersson is our pick prior to taking him loses leverage...knowledge is power; it's good to see the behind scene banter, but as long as it is from a trusted source and the video comes out afterwards and the so called trusted source doesn't share the knowledge prior to going public...if you know what I mean...it is as you say "holding your cards close to the chest".

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, not sure if the videos of him talking about picks and his intentions are from his own group or from a third party prior to making the pick or making his intention known publicly. Videos could come out later, but knowledge can be passed on...for instance, being video recorded and saying Pettersson is our pick prior to taking him loses leverage...knowledge is power; it's good to see the behind scene banter, but as long as it is from a trusted source and the video comes out afterwards and the so called trusted source doesn't share the knowledge prior to going public...if you know what I mean...it is as you say "holding your cards close to the chest".

I don't think the videos you're referring to were accessible to other GMs on the draft floor.

And as a clear counterpoint - I've seen Benning run some pre-draft misdirection more than once - tipping his hand as if he's leaning towards players he passed on when it came time.

Pumping Chychrun was one instance, Cody Glass another.

When you get down to it though, it doesn't really play that strongly into the decisions opposing GMs make.  They have their targets and they don't care what Central Scouting or Craig Button think.

The only instance I can think of where peopel thought they had a point of criticism in this sense is the one you're referring to - where he intended to take Pettersson and offered to trade down with Vegas.  Vegas does not need any 'inside' or spy information however, to deduce that the willingness to trade down indicated a willingness to pass on Glass.  If anything, what you see there is Benning's ability to read Vegas' intentions - to take Glass - and his attempt to take advantage of that to gain an asset.  Unfortunately there is literally no way around tipping your hand to a certain extent there - the offer alone accomplishes that.  Kudos for trying - the only other option was to sit and wait for the clock to tick and hope that Vegas initiates that conversation - and if/when they don't, you're in the precise position Benning was in, where he floats the possibility.   In the end though, they got their guy, and Lind in the 2nd, so it can't be considered a 'loss' - just an opportunity that did not really present itself.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

Now that it seems they are heading in a direction of "out with the old" and "in with the new (young)" maybe the real rebuild will start.

I wish that were true (out with the old, in with the young), but fear only Hutton gets traded for picks (if anybody wants him). I’d like to see more housecleaning for picks and prospects by the TDL.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:46 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

all these idiot posters that keep blaming him for every bad thing that happens is so ignorant and juvenile. 

The Canucks will be the only team that retains a management intact that has this bad a record.

Oh I FULLY agree with the bolded.  No question

But obviously as to your second line there you don't look around the league much.

In fact like most of what you post it is not grounded in fact.

Ron Francis Carolina

Garth Snow New York Islanders

Kevin Cheveldayoff Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets

Marc Bergevin Montreal Canadians

Dale Tallon Florida Panthers

All of them have been with their teams for 6-7 years or more.

Show me all of their success in either trading, standings or signings

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

He had most of the world convinced we were taking Glass last draft....

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He had most of the world convinced we were taking Glass last draft....

Not really, and the only person that mattered was the one JB tried to make a trade with to move down a spot and still get Pettersson. He knew GMGM wanted Glass and tried to trade down a spot, GM didn't buy his sell job and decided to hold still. JB picked Pettersson and GM got Glass whom he always wanted. 

IF GM thought JB was taking Glass he would have made the move to move up a spot. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Not really, and the only person that mattered was the one JB tried to make a trade with to move down a spot and still get Pettersson. He knew GMGM wanted Glass and tried to trade down a spot, GM didn't buy his sell job and decided to hold still. JB picked Pettersson and GM got Glass whom he always wanted. 

IF GM thought JB was taking Glass he would have made the move to move up a spot. 

Or the LGK were likely happy with a few guys there. If we'd taken Glass, they might have had Necas or Vilardi or.. etc, etc

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or the LGK were likely happy with a few guys there. If we'd taken Glass, they might have had Necas or Vilardi or.. etc, etc

No, they were high on Glass and wanted him. 

They had even told JB what they were willing to pay for moving up a spot. But then didn't make the trade because they thought JB was NOT taking Glass. 

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No, they were high on Glass and wanted him. 

They had even told JB what they were willing to pay for moving up a spot. But then didn't make the trade because they thought JB was NOT taking Glass. 

Sure and I'm 'high' on Dahlin this year. Doesn't mean the Canucks have any guarantee of picking him.

Archived