The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s intentions with JB

Alflives

Aqualini’s plan for JB  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great idea 

if i buy a franchise this summer it looks like i could interview benning as my new gm 

i would offer him a job as a scout.  Though.  For a gm i would try to find a more experienced guy 

Good luck.   Doubt you will be able to find anyone better but good luck.   The dude in Edmonton has more experience and will be available to be hired.   Give that a go.

On 05/02/2018 at 7:21 PM, chilliwiggins said:

Hook line and sinker, Bennings got the market cornered when it comes to bottom 6 ufa forwards wanting to come here. lol where else can a bottom sixer get a NTC and a cool 4.5 shmill

2 things to ponder when UFAs look for a new team:

1. Tax. Take a look at this and include some US teams like Chi or Dallas http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

2. Prospects to win now, not later. 

I think JB needs to consider future cap space now for our younger players coming through. Other than LE, I’m OK with his signings. 

Aqualini’s would be out of his mind to change direction.

This team needs to stay with the plan. The management team is gaining experience. We don't need Ken Holland. What has he done for Detroit lately. Detroit has drafted poorly and hasn't won in a decade. https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/burke-canucks-are-desperate-for-fresh-views-in-their-management-1.993807

We need to be patient and stay with this prospect pool. Jim Benning is doing fine, just wait until the picks start coming. The Canucks looked better this year than last until Bo Horvats injury. 

Stay with the plan.

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Aqualini’s would be out of his mind to change direction.

This team needs to stay with the plan. The management team is gaining experience. We don't need Ken Holland. What has he done for Detroit lately. Detroit has drafted poorly and hasn't won in a decade. https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/burke-canucks-are-desperate-for-fresh-views-in-their-management-1.993807

We need to be patient and stay with this prospect pool. Jim Benning is doing fine, just wait until the picks start coming. The Canucks looked better this year than last until Bo Horvats injury. 

Stay with the plan.

Okay Holland is out, how about Lamorello?

When was the last time our present Owners hired an experienced GM ? B) To think they would hire a leader who wants to lead without interference is based on what ? :huh:

They always bring in people who are green so they can meddle.  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

When was the last time our present Owners hired an experienced GM ? B) To think they would hire a leader who wants to lead without interference is based on what ? :huh:

They always bring in people who are green so they can meddle.  :rolleyes:

That’s a friggin scary thought.  STOP THAT!  Now I’m overly worried again.  :wacko:  need more meds.

Keep JB bring in another experienced hockey management type person to be senior hockey advisor. Has input in trades and signings but doesnt make the call or over ride JB just their to help and consult with insight.

Nothing wrong with having an extra set of eyes and ears involved in our organization imo

On 2018-02-05 at 5:32 PM, The Great Canucks said:

This whole mess is clearly on Aquilini unwilling to go through a rebuild. 

Clearly, you say?

Should be easy to prove then. 

Put your money where your mouth is. 

I won’t blame you for tapping out here while learning something about the use of language. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Clearly, you say?

I won’t blame you for tapping out here while learning something about the use of language. 

You’re right...it’s not completely clear that Aqualini is against a full rebuild.  However, there is a trail of mouse turds leading to his owner’s box.  :lol:

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re right...it’s not completely clear that Aqualini is against a full rebuild.  However, there is a trail of mouse turds leading to his owner’s box.  :lol:

At the end of the day the Acquilinis are running a business. How they deal with the P&L within their org is not something we will ever know. Their history to date is a ownership that has always bucked up to the max. Maximum CAP spending, an expensive reno of the team support facilities at Roger's Arena, the purchase of a AHL francise, and an expansion of the back office support whether in scouting or marketing. 

When did it ever become questionable that ownership could not participate in the direction of their team? On the one hand fans want the passion and vision of Ownership to fund whatever is needed to produce a winner but on the other want to criticize them when things are tough. Is the inference that ownership does not have enough hockey smarts to have an opinion? Half the posters on here think that Jim Benning doesn't have enough smarts to be a GM and that Trevor LInden is too dumb to become a knowledgeable President. Why all this dumbness? IMHO the Canucks rode a horse in hopes of a CUP. It did not work in 2011 and they tried to add pieces to make it happen in '12. Many of the fans who now criticize management are the same ones who would not embrace a rebuild in 2012-13. Now the org is paying a price in a slower rebuild.

As a fan from the beginning I cannot criticize current management as I consider them the best the org has ever had other than maybe Quinn. Even when considering Quinn I still think the overall org is stronger. I love the fact that both Linden and Benning played in the NHL. Considering the state of the org when they took over there has been solid progress. Naysayers throw up Ken Holland's name as a alternative. Seriously? Detroit is in serious trouble. The mechanics and timeline of a rebuild can be tough for fans to endure. It takes time, skill, faith and a lot of luck.     

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If TL or JB we’re fired, I’d hope they would offer up some clarity on the popular opinion concerning Aquaman interference in the team’s direction. Until then, it’s rumours and conjecture. 

The TDL clock is ticking on what stands to be a defining moment of the Slim-Jim era, re-thingy. Someone at Orca is going to win this supposed tug-of-war for team vision, direction and execution. If there is a business reason not to Tank this year, I can’t see it.

I can’t imagine a scenerio where the owner can’t work out for himself what needs doing in order to fill Rogers Arena and what the fans are willing to pay to watch until the core is competitive again.

If there were once a time where JB’s hands were somewhat tied as to what what was agreeable by Aquaman, that surely is not the case, given the options available to any management team who might be at the helm of the Canucks. It reads as fantasy to imagine an owner who would object to the obvious state of the current roster and system rebuild, as it stands. 

At this point, I think it is safe to expect that JB has full autonomy as GM and that these next few weeks are ultimately tied to his re-signing. 

57 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Does nobody understand the word "meddling"? It's the Aqulinis' team, how can they possibly "meddle" in the operations of their own business? This makes no sense.

Agreed.  I never get when they are accused of meddling.  You own the business you get to make the calls.  Wrong or right.  It isn't meddling.  Just because there are Presidents, GM's, etc doesn't mean the person that cuts the cheque doesn't have the final say....

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Clearly, you say?

Yes, clearly. What's the matter? Can't handle the cold, hard truth?

Before you whine and cry like you always do, maybe you should quit while you are ahead since I've already owned multiple times on these forums. I don't want to embarrass you again in front of your buddies.

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Does nobody understand the word "meddling"? It's the Aqulinis' team, how can they possibly "meddle" in the operations of their own business? This makes no sense.

They are meddling when they prevent their own team from getting better in the long run by letting management rebuild instead of mandating that we have to make the playoffs.

8 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

They are meddling when they prevent their own team from getting better in the long run by letting management rebuild instead of mandating that we have to make the playoffs.

I think you are defining "meddling" in a different way that its common usage. Perhaps you disagree with the ownership's direction for the team but claiming they don't have a right to choose the direction is another thing all together. 

Archived