The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini’s intentions with JB

Alflives

Aqualini’s plan for JB  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Same thing happened in San Jose

You'll have to expand on that. I just don't recall the talk around the Hansen TDL move. To me it was Hansen for Goldobin and Soderlund. Soderlund turned into that scoring machine Kristoffer Gunnarsson and Petrus Palmu. Hasn't worked in our favour yet, but still lots of potential.

27 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

No the Beiksa trade that fell through, when Benning told him and his wife they could go shop for a house in San Jose as Benning had the deal complete until he read the fine print and realized the 2nd round pick wasn't in the year he thought they had agreed on, so it was nixed, and Beiksa had to come back until another trade was arranged. Beiksa was in San Jose. house shopping. when the deal was nixed

Or was it a case of SJ trying to pull a quick one on Benning and he was smart enough to catch it?

36 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

No the Beiksa trade that fell through, when Benning told him and his wife they could go shop for a house in San Jose as Benning had the deal complete until he read the fine print and realized the 2nd round pick wasn't in the year he thought they had agreed on, so it was nixed, and Beiksa had to come back until another trade was arranged. Beiksa was in San Jose. house shopping. when the deal was nixed

Thanks. Had forgotten about the Bieksa story.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Both Miller and Hamhuis had full ntc's. Hamhuis gave two teams only. Chicago had no interest and Dallas had higher interest in Russell. They got their man and made last minute crap offer for Hamhuis. Washington called with an offer and Hamhuis refused to go there. Miller only gave Cali teams as an option and none bit. Vrbata said himself in an interview he gave a list of teams that wouldn't be interested because he didn't want to move with his wife due to have a baby. Those aren't "missed opportunities" those are players exercising their contractual rights which ties the GM's hands.

And with the Hamhuis deal I still believe Gilardi was screwing with Aquilini in spite of him screwing Gilardi over with the Canucks.  The supposed offer that was originally the same as the one for Russell was probably a decoy until the last second when they tried to take him for a 4th I think was what they offered?  

And I still find it funny how people get pissed Vrbata and Miller weren't traded, thats the problem with a NTC, the player can influence the potential trades so much that the GMs really have it out of their control. 

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

And with the Hamhuis deal I still believe Gilardi was screwing with Aquilini in spite of him screwing Gilardi over with the Canucks.  The supposed offer that was originally the same as the one for Russell was probably a decoy until the last second when they tried to take him for a 4th I think was what they offered?  

And I still find it funny how people get pissed Vrbata and Miller weren't traded, thats the problem with a NTC, the player can influence the potential trades so much that the GMs really have it out of their control. 

Gillardi and Aquilini do many joint property deals so that is not it.

Simply put the only common thread between the two rumoured deals is Benning, Hamhuis was supposedly not informed of the Chicago deal until less than 24 before they went the other way and it was somewhat similar with the Dallas offer, Hamhuis wanted to look into the environment for his family and as time dragged on Benning over played his hand.

The clause contracts that caused the non trades of Vrbata and Miller were Benning's, all his. Again another common thread.

With less than 14 days to the TDL how much authority does Benning still have in making trades? Is he just another guy in the room, like happened in the last draft?

I don't think there will be anything like an announcement he is fired, I do think he will not be offered another deal, the club has the draft covered with that Judd guy running that and Linden is the MAN in any trades.

IMO Benning is acting as a mouth piece, an advisor and Linden's scapegoat.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

Ya he was practically begging for a contract extension on the radio on the merits of his childrens problems at school, which didn't land him anything yet.

I do wonder though about how secure both of their jobs are though.  

Their record of employment in conjunction with where the canucks are at in the standings, compares to some of the Canucks worst teams iced in their history, not even mentioning anything financially compared to the previous regime.

The family troubles he says the kids have, imagine how bad it was for Aquilini's kids, they almost needed body guards, that is why all these idiot posters that keep blaming him for every bad thing that happens is so ignorant and juvenile. End of rant.:mad:

The Canucks will be the only team that retains a management intact that has this bad a record. Look how many other management people have been canned in league history with less than this team's record.:huh:

This is the worst team in Canuck history, the new stats, with the loser point, soften just how bad this team is, they are almost .500 and in 28th place out of 31 teams. They have only 40 regulation wins in 2015/16 and 2016/17:(

This year, 2018, they are the worst in the league even with the drubbing they gave Dallas.

Just a add on, since Aquilini distanced himself from the team, for his family (kids), the team has gone steadily/been at the bottom and descending. Shows what happens when there a lack of involved leadership at the very top. The inmates run the asylum.:lol:

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Where and when was this?  that seems odd

I think in his January 30 interview on one of the two radio shows.

Does make it interesting and odd, Linden hired him but Aquilini is making a decision? His youngest, 17, is now likely out of high school so he might be ready to take the reins again. 

30 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The family troubles he says the kids have, imagine how bad it was for Aquilini's kids, they almost needed body guards, that is why all these idiot posters that keep blaming him for every bad thing that happens is so ignorant and juvenile. End of rant.:mad:

The Canucks will be the only team that retains a management intact that has this bad a record. Look how many other management people have been canned in league history with less than this team's record.:huh:

This is the worst team in Canuck history, the new stats, with the loser point, soften just how bad this team is, they are almost .500 and in 28th place out of 31 teams. They have only 40 regulation wins in 2015/16 and 2016/17:(

This year, 2018, they are the worst in the league even with the drubbing they gave Dallas.

Just a add on, since Aquilini distanced himself from the team, for his family (kids), the team has gone steadily/been at the bottom and descending. Shows what happens when there a lack of involved leadership at the very top. The inmates run the asylum.:lol:

We are rebuilding. We are cap strapped from aging contracts from the previous management that we really can't do anything about. He moved kesler.

His only bad contract is Eriksson. Everything else has been positive for the rebuild.

That's it, one bad move.

Patience!!!

• Alflives changed the title to Aquilini’s intentions with JB
9 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

The owner of the Vancouver Canucks is Francesco Aquilini.  We should probably change the title of this thread to the correct spelling of his name.  After all, he is the owner.  Respect...

@Alflives  May you do the honour my little furry friend?  Thanks...

Thank you Harvey:)

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We are rebuilding. We are cap strapped from aging contracts from the previous management that we really can't do anything about. He moved kesler.

His only bad contract is Eriksson. Everything else has been positive for the rebuild.

That's it, one bad move.

Patience!!!

Cap strapped form 4 years ago? You think the Sedins 14 mil is a big deal? Or Edler's 5 mil? The cap is 74 mil, this is hardly a dent from 4 years ago.

He has been able to move any of the Gillis era contracts, it has only been the one's he signed that he has had trouble with, Miller and Vrbata.

How many contracts still exist from 4 years ago?

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Both Miller and Hamhuis had full ntc's. Hamhuis gave two teams only. Chicago had no interest and Dallas had higher interest in Russell. They got their man and made last minute crap offer for Hamhuis. Washington called with an offer and Hamhuis refused to go there. Miller only gave Cali teams as an option and none bit. Vrbata said himself in an interview he gave a list of teams that wouldn't be interested because he didn't want to move with his wife due to have a baby. Those aren't "missed opportunities" those are players exercising their contractual rights which ties the GM's hands.

Yeah I’m not saying he blew it, I’m just saying if he hadve figures something out with those players, it would look really good on him. Since he didn’t, it’s not like it’s bad or anything. Just a missed opportunity for him to really cement his position as a great GM. 

Bennings here to stay the course boys!!!

Image result for jim benning

Image result for jim benning

On 1/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

There are many good reasons to retain Jim. But my sense is the decision has been made not to bring him back and they may have already picked his replacement, someone who isn't currently in a GM or AGM role that they wouldn't need permission to talk to, someone like Don Maloney e.g. 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, 24K PureCool said:

I think Aqua will replace JB if the Sedins decide not to retire. He will try to have another guy come in and try to get this team back into the playoff (re-tool). If the Sedins retire, he will let JB see through this rebuild.

So really the Sedins should call it quits. They have over stayed their welcome. Nothing against them, it is just their mere presence on the team negatively influencing the state of mind of higher management (those above JB).

On 1/28/2018 at 9:15 PM, R.Dahlin26 said:

The Loui Eriksson contract is really bad but it would be the 4th worst move for me. The Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers and Juolevi over Tkachuk/Keller blunders impact this franchise the most. We're talking about two 60 point U21 players that would've been future core players that Benning indefensibly passed on. Then you have the Kesler Trade which we came out with absolutely nothing that helps the franchise going forward.

Imo Benning will be let go. If he wasn't he would have an extension already.

I expect Aquilini just wants the season to end and make the announcements at the end of the year like past GM's let go.

On 1/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, R.Dahlin26 said:

Yup. They revamped their scouting philosophy and incorporated analytics and let Judd Brackett run the 2017 draft. Trevor Linden was gushing about Brackett's work in an interview afterwards. Brackett and Lars Lindgren are believed to be the ones pushing for Pettersson from the beginning.

With Judd in charge now, I feel somewhat confident they will make the right decision on the 2018 first round pick like they did in 2017.

IMO there is no need for Benning anymore who when you look outside of amateur scouting has been mediocre to terrible. We're talking about trades and FA signings here.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:24 PM, GiveEmTheCan said:

If he’s as shrewd a businessman as his savings account would suggest, Linden’s done. He was brought in to insulate ownership and the franchise from the growing unrest amongst the fans. He was supposed to be the spoonful of sugar that would help the medicine of an unpopular “retool” go down. The move failed in spectacular fashion. In the years since Linden has been the spokesperson for the Canucks, support for the team has waned more than anyone could have anticipated. Linden inherited a sold out building and 16k STHs with a healthy waitlist and has seen that number dwindle to a little over 12. A 400 plus game sell out streak ended under his watch and it’s to the point that you can’t give Canucks tickets away anymore. The secondary market for Canucks games is nonexistent. If you think that doesn’t matter to the franchise you have to consider STHs take resale value into account when deciding whether or not to renew and Canucks games have become a bad investment. The team is worth nearly 100 million less than it was when Linden was hired and much of that is attributable to Linden’s inability to set a proper roadmap for the franchise. Nothing he has done in the past half decade has proven that Linden knows how to build a winner. In fact, I’d argue that he’s committed some egregious errors these past five years which indicate strongly a person in over his head and a franchise that will continue to spin its tires until a change is made. 

On 1/29/2018 at 1:12 AM, canuktravella said:

aqua  needs to get sedins to agree to  a trade at deadline  get a first and  a second and a cap dump from a contender plus retain one of sedins contract so instead of 14 mill cap space needed they only need  10.5  gets us two more prospects.  linden stays  possibly benning runs scouting with backett  

not sure who gms 

On 2/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

I think Linden was the salesman in the hiring of JB, he is head of hockey ops.

It would be Linden that sold an idea to the owners and people he hired.

IMO I don't think the owners wanted to spend too much on management because they were paying the other group that were fired, hence a rookie GM and rookie coaches, they're cheap. Maybe a deal was made, let me fire them and I will keep management costs down.

Now that those contracts are essentially paid off that might open it up for quality, proven management personnel.

Linden's plan has not done anything for the team's standings, public profile, value or profits. It has enhanced his Club 16 business and got the fans excited about losing close games. Imagine when the team merely gets close to a wild card spot, parties and parades. The excitement level will be close to what it was when the team played for the cup.

JB is the face of the plan and the team needs a new plan and a new face, it is Linden's job on the line as well or it should be.  

On 2/4/2018 at 8:32 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks are tied    17/18/19 th     oldest team in the NHL.

This is way to old for a rebuilding club.   You are a comet star and it shows...

Canuck are also the  18/19/20/21   tied team for height.... 

Too small as well.....

19th club in weight per player...

But the 4th top team by drafted rank......

You do the math... high drafted short. light    and old players...

Sounds like a recipe for FAIL

https://theathletic.com/210035/2018/01/12/sizing-up-the-nhl-2017-18-nhl-teams-by-age-height-and-weight/

On 2/5/2018 at 8:48 AM, chilliwiggins said:

Well from my perspective of being at the game on the weekend, they wont gain many new customers with the current on ice product once you start comparing dollars to dollars and other entertainment venues against their product.

Aquilini has to look at this current product he is selling from the perspective of a new customer.      

To much money for a product that doesn't always compare to the competition, whether its another team, or another entertainment venue going on in the city at the same time.

I went to the game with one other hockey fan and 2 non hockey fans.

At the end of the game both of us (hockey fans) agreed next time look at other venues considering we are taking our women out to show them a good time.

We had more fun doing other things and attending other venues than what the Canucks offered up.

So in saying that, Aquilini has empty seats in the building in part because his product doesn't compare to what else is available.

So if that's on management, then they are failing.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If ownership truly believed in Benning, he'd have been extended in the summer.  The fact that we're this close to the end of the year, and he doesn't have a contract yet, implies that they've decided to move on (or at least check out their options near seasons' end).

Benning's head is on the chopping block whether you guys want to believe it or not.  The voting here has it ass-backwards, there's nowhere near a 75% chance Benning's back next year, it's really more like 25% given what we've seen happen this season.

And, can you blame them?  We spend right to the cap every year, which gives us a huge advantage over a lot of teams - and yet we've been one of the worst teams in the entire league for years now.  He's supposed to be this brilliant drafter and talent-evaluator - yet he's blown most of his high-picks (and the 'foundational' pieces he paid through the nose for have mostly busted).  He couldn't see the big-picture and wasted years trying to keep us competitive.  Futilely.  His contract and cap-work looks amateurish compared to Gilman's.  His behind-the-scenes work looks amateurish compared to Gillis (remember when Gillis was bringing in all sorts of sleep-experts and stuff like that to give us the tiniest advantage here and there off-the-ice - that all seems to have stopped on a dime once Benning took over and our performace as a team has tanked).  Everyone here hates Gillis, but you all seem to forget that Gillis was fired because he wanted to blow everything up and rebuild.  Just imagine how much further along we'd be if we actually started a full-on rebuild 5 years ago!  We wouldn't have been any worse over the last few years, but we'd be in a MUCH better position right now.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, appleboy said:

When was the last time our present Owners hired an experienced GM ? B) To think they would hire a leader who wants to lead without interference is based on what ? :huh:

They always bring in people who are green so they can meddle.  :rolleyes:

On 2018-02-13 at 10:28 AM, SingleThorn said:

More garbage from the Toronto kid ( sorry......... the guy born on 16th April ). 13 mocks, your crap was factual just once. Probably as good as it'll get from you.

Life must be sad if all you can do is follow me around in the forum spewing bs about where I’m from or when I’m born. Guess we are not allowed to say whatever we want nowadays without having some low life scum riding on your d*ck stalking you

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

At least we have stability for the draft.

Very true.

Maybe Bennings new contract will not allow him to make trades.....  He is much better at the draft......

At least this will give us a chance to see how Virt and Jouls  develop......   time will tell.

If both of these kids work out.. then Benning has moved the club in the right direction. 

Archived