The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amazon Alexa or google home

Tony Romo

I like my Google Home. I'll sometimes "send to Google" a recipe while I'm at work, and when I get home just say "Hey Google, let's cook" and she'll tell me the recipe in steps. I also use IFTTT to control 2 smart outlets and a Phillips wireless light bulb with my google home. My TV also has Google Chromecast so if I'm in the kitchen I'll just tell Google what to play on Netflix.

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I like my Google Home. I'll sometimes "send to Google" a recipe while I'm at work, and when I get home just say "Hey Google, let's cook" and she'll tell me the recipe in steps. I also use IFTTT to control 2 smart outlets and a Phillips wireless light bulb with my google home. My TV also has Google Chromecast so if I'm in the kitchen I'll just tell Google what to play on Netflix.

One thing I would have preferred is a wireless version. Being able to take it into different rooms without taking the power supply would make it much more useful for sure.

30 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

One thing I would have preferred is a wireless version. Being able to take it into different rooms without taking the power supply would make it much more useful for sure.

Agreed - I have mine on the kitchen island and aesthetically it'd be a lot nicer to have it [wireless] in a more discrete place.

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I would say neither.. only because both are CIA.

I don't know about other people, but having devices in my house that could potentially be listening into private conversations remotely is frighting.. 

Even if you have nothing to hide. 

My Shaw BlueSky box is probably doing that.. 

It is sad. I see so many people on social media whenever this subject comes up go "I don't care I have nothing to hide" as if that's the point here..

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

My Shaw BlueSky box is probably doing that.. 

It is sad. I see so many people on social media whenever this subject comes up go "I don't care I have nothing to hide" as if that's the point here..

I found it quite interesting seeing an interview with Zuckerberg a while ago. In the background his laptop had tape over the camera. If a guy like that is concerned...:huh:

And those that have 'nothing to hide' also have no idea why this potential illegal information gathering is a concern. We have seen in that last mockery of a political race in 'murica that the masses can be controlled by showing them what they want to see/believe.....speaking of Zuckerberg ...*cough *cough.... FB algorithms ...

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I found it quite interesting seeing an interview with Zuckerberg a while ago. In the background his laptop had tape over the camera. If a guy like that is concerned...:huh:

And those that have 'nothing to hide' also have no idea why this potential illegal information gathering is a concern. We have seen in that last mockery of a political race in 'murica that the masses can be controlled by showing them what they want to see/believe.....speaking of Zuckerberg ...*cough *cough.... FB algorithms ...

The best way I learned to combat this illegal information gathering is to limit my exposure online and to invest in things like VPN.

Also use services that provide strong encryption like end to end encryption.

But the scary part about all this is you don't really know if any of this stuff prevents the NSA from gather information.. 

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

I would say neither.. only because both are CIA.

I don't know about other people, but having devices in my house that could potentially be listening into private conversations remotely is frighting.. 

Even if you have nothing to hide. 

Big-brother-poster1

On 2/14/2018 at 4:49 PM, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I believe theres a rechargable power pack that goes underneath the echo dot to make it wireless

Archived