The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Chris Tanev's future as a Canuck, and Adam Gaudette

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

9 hours ago, peaches5 said:

There's a reason why everyone wants Tanev and people here are talking about trading him for a 1st rounder 10-20, or a prospect like Liljegren/Foote. Tanev is the best defensive dman in the league and even a 1st plus Liljegren or Foote isn't enough.

A special trade for me would be 1st + Foote + Namestnikov. You get a player who can play in the NHL now, you get a prospect, d prospect to replace Tanev, then you also get a 1st round pick. That is a trade that I think can be on the table too from Tampa.

I just hope that Benning wouldn't add any picks going back. You can even flip Namestnikov at the draft if you don't want to sign him long term because he is due for a big raise.

I like Tanev but I wouldn't hesitate to make either of those deals.

The way I look at it, we're probably going to be horrible for 1 more year (at least). If Tanev is going to get you 2 major assets for the rebuild, you make that deal. It makes a whole lot more sense than a Tanev + for Erik Karlsson trade. We need to keep building for the future. Our time is not now...or next year and probably not even the year after. I want an absolute tidal wave of prospects coming through the pipeline so when the timing is right, we'll hit this league hard and be a force for years to come.

Also, it sounds more and more like Guddy is going to be re-signed, so I hope we trade either Tanev or Edler.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I like Tanev but I wouldn't hesitate to make either of those deals.

The way I look at it, we're probably going to be horrible for 1 more year (at least). If Tanev is going to get you 2 major assets for the rebuild, you make that deal. It makes a whole lot more sense than a Tanev + for Erik Karlsson trade. We need to keep building for the future. Our time is not now...or next year and probably not even the year after. I want an absolute tidal wave of prospects coming through the pipeline so when the timing is right, we'll hit this league hard and be a force for years to come.

Also, it sounds more and more like Guddy is going to be re-signed, so I hope we trade either Tanev or Edler.

Except those aren't major assets. You're giving away a signed top 2 dman for a late first round pick and a mid-first round pick. Both of those players could never turn out to be an NHL player. You're making it out as if we have to trade Tanev. We do not. Tanev is extremely valuable to this team. With the free agency pool that is out there this summer a couple of good signings and this team could be a playoff team. You trade Tanev and your defense gets significantly worse and could even set your team back. That's why if you trade him you have to be getting an NHL player back and get the picks/prospects. I am not talking about trading Tanev + for Karlsson.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Except those aren't major assets. You're giving away a signed top 2 dman for a late first round pick and a mid-first round pick. Both of those players could never turn out to be an NHL player. You're making it out as if we have to trade Tanev. We do not. Tanev is extremely valuable to this team. With the free agency pool that is out there this summer a couple of good signings and this team could be a playoff team. You trade Tanev and your defense gets significantly worse and could even set your team back. That's why if you trade him you have to be getting an NHL player back and get the picks/prospects. I am not talking about trading Tanev + for Karlsson.

Toronto's # 1 prospect, one of the top 10-15 defensive prospects in hockey and a late 1st round pick (right where Benning drafted Boeser).

Those aren't major assets? 

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Toronto's # 1 prospect, one of the top 10-15 defensive prospects in hockey and a late 1st round pick (right where Benning drafted Boeser).

If JB liked Littlegren, he would have drafted the guy.  I doubt JB wants anything to do with Littlegren after the Philip Larssen fiasco.  

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JB liked Littlegren, he would have drafted the guy.  I doubt JB wants anything to do with Littlegren after the Philip Larssen fiasco.  

Draft him over Pettersson? God no. But he's still a really good prospect in a position we sorely lack in. 

I'm sensing a little Leafs bias...

What about Philip Larssen? Lol

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

both foote and especially Liljegren are major assets

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Draft him over Pettersson? God no. But he's still a really good prospect in a position we sorely lack in. 

I'm sensing a little Leafs bias...

What about Philip Larssen? Lol

You are correct.  I hate the Leafs.  I do think littlegren is a bit on the smallish side for the NHL.  He's struggling BIG time in the AHL.  Subban had way better numbers, and he couldn't crack an NHL roster.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are correct.  I hate the Leafs.  I do think littlegren is a bit on the smallish side for the NHL.  He's struggling BIG time in the AHL.  Subban had way better numbers, and he couldn't crack an NHL roster.  

6'0 190 lbs and still filling out. Not huge but not exactly small.

I haven't seen him play this year but from what I've read, he appears to be doing pretty well for his 1st 20 some odd games in NA. 

He's going to be an NHL player. I can't say that about Jordan Subban.

peaches5:

I kind of had a similar thought about Namestnikov out of TB. He needs a new deal as a rfa, they have other cheaper guys like point playing well. Could be not a bad target as a guy we could get who contributes immediately for us.

Wonder how he is on faceoffs? 

Also like Foote & think they would deal him, not sure if his pts will transition to a pp type guy in the NHL but good D to acquire.

Like TB much more for a big trade partner than TO

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

No, they're not. The odds of drafting any player remotely close to Boeser at that position are very poor. Liljegran was what 16/17th overall? Foote I believe was 13th. These kids haven't proven anything in the NHL. No guarantee they become NHL top 4 dman at all. You don't trade away a great dman from prospects/picks without getting an NHL proven player back. We are not in a position where Tanev is a pending UFA and need to trade him to get assets back because we may lose him for nothing. We don't need to trade Tanev unless it's a great deal for us. 

There is no reason to trade Tanev unless we are getting a young NHL player, top prospect and a 1st round pick in return. Depending on the calibre of the NHL player you could modify that trade a bit. If it's Marner coming back then Marner and Liljegran is my offer. We don't need to make a fair offer because we don't need to trade Tanev. You want Tanev you pay for him otherwise he is staying a Canuck.

36 minutes ago, Yotes said:

peaches5:

I kind of had a similar thought about Namestnikov out of TB. He needs a new deal as a rfa, they have other cheaper guys like point playing well. Could be not a bad target as a guy we could get who contributes immediately for us.

Wonder how he is on faceoffs? 

Also like Foote & think they would deal him, not sure if his pts will transition to a pp type guy in the NHL but good D to acquire.

Like TB much more for a big trade partner than TO

I was thinking Point would be who Yzerman would trade then I realized Nameshtnikov was the one who was coming his entry-level deal, I believe it is, and figured you know what this is the guy Yzerman will try to ship out. He plays the wing currently on Tampa's second line but he is a centre. He is a bit small though around 5'10 and he is having a great season. I can see Yzerman trying to trade him straight up and maybe a first for Tanev which I don't think is enough because I am not sure Namistnikov is worth it. I think JB gotta be asking for Foote, 1st and Namistnikov if Yzerman is trying to ship him out for a Dman.

I just looked into Tanev's stats he has thrown 18 hits this year and has blocked 58 shots.  Pouliot has hit 45 individuals and blocked 79 shots.  I think people need to stop peddling the fallacy that his style of play is causing his injuries.  The guy is just super fragile.  1st round plus A or B prospect + 2nd.  Lets get her done.

23 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I just looked into Tanev's stats he has thrown 18 hits this year and has blocked 58 shots.  Pouliot has hit 45 individuals and blocked 79 shots.  I think people need to stop peddling the fallacy that his style of play is causing his injuries.  The guy is just super fragile.  1st round plus A or B prospect + 2nd.  Lets get her done.

You also have to take into account the quality of competition.  Tanev is out against the hardest shots and toughest competition 

But I definitely agree he's been real unlucky this year.... or hes getting a lot more fragile

2 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

You also have to take into account the quality of competition.  Tanev is out against the hardest shots and toughest competition 

But I definitely agree he has really bad this year or hes getting a lot more fragile

I would argue that quality of competition would lessen the effect on your body.  It's the bigger 3rd and 4th liners that would do more damage on a fore check.  Star players typically don't go out there do damage. I don't think anyone is scared of Gudreau, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, McDavids, etc..

38 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Sami Salo may be a good individual to remember....

Archived