The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Mail Box

VIC_CITY

I was thinking...

Isn't it weird?

As far as we've come with technology, we still have organizations that communicate with letters?

Glenn Sathers writes a letter. Trevor Linden writes a letter.

I mean...I didn't check my mail box today, am I missing something? Do I need to go check my mail and then come back and finish typing this? 

I certainly hope not. 

But I digress. 

So letters are the rage these days... 

And I was just thinking... 

From my perspective...from YOU (us), the fan's perspective, what would I say to Jim Benning?

I'd say something like....

Hey Jim,

(How else do you address him? Jim...Mr Benning...JB...Sir...the guy that took Mike's job?) 

I'm happy for you and your family that you've finally been signed to an extension.

No one can question your dedication to the Cancucks. The on ice results didn't go as planned but we see the work that you're putting in. Respect due.

You know, we've always kind of had a suspicion that Francesco didn't want a full rebuild because he was worried he wouldn't sell as many of his ridiculously overpriced tickets...and yet here we are!

I think we owe you a big thanks Jim. The more that I think about it, the more I see how much of a mastermind you really are. You managed to convince the owner AND the casual fan (OK, maybe just the owner) that we were competing for a playoff spot, all while stealth rebuilding this team on the low like the two timing badass son b***** that you really are?!? (That's a compliment BTW). 

Respect due.

Stay the course Jim. 

Trade the UFAs Jim.

Ignore the noise Jim.

Ignore the Ls Jim.

Ignore Francesco Jim.

Win us the draft lottery Jim.

Especially that last one. That would be great. 

Sincerely, 

Vic City

What would you guys say to JB?

Dear Jim,

I love the prospects you are bringing to the Canucks organization however Loui @#$%ing Eriksson has me concered with what you plan to do with all that cap space in the next two years.  Do not sign any Free Agent to a contract over $4million please.  If they don't want to sign for that cheap then so be it.  Build from within, and please send Eriksson to Robidas Island for an all inclusive getaway from this team.

Sincerely your most casual hardcore fairweather bandwagoner fan

Dear Jim,

Stay the course. We are all behind you. 

Your drafting has brought hope for the future to many of us. 

1 more good draft to go and we could have the tools, so please don’t go on a winning run. 

And then next year start to win some damn games to shut up all the negative nuggets....

yours truly

Spook007

Mr. Benning,

Our team sucks! And I am ok with that.

Please...quit pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining! I (and I daresay most fans) know that we won't be competitive for a few years. We can handle the truth. Why not admit it?

Not that it matters, but I support your work so far and recognize (as I am sure you do) that some mistakes have been made. I know more will be made in the future although i hope fewer. And I am ok with that. I understand that your entire executive team, top to bottom, is learning and gaining experience.

However, your apparent dishonesty regarding the actual current state of this team has me worried that you are either deceitful or ignorant. How about you call a spade a spade. 

I am looking forward to a Stanley Cup contender as I am sure you are. In the meantime your fans will have greater confidence in your leadership if you just came out and said what they already know.

Our team sucks.

1 hour ago, CupIsComing said:

Mr. Benning,

Our team sucks! And I am ok with that.

Please...quit pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining! I (and I daresay most fans) know that we won't be competitive for a few years. We can handle the truth. Why not admit it?

Not that it matters, but I support your work so far and recognize (as I am sure you do) that some mistakes have been made. I know more will be made in the future although i hope fewer. And I am ok with that. I understand that your entire executive team, top to bottom, is learning and gaining experience.

However, your apparent dishonesty regarding the actual current state of this team has me worried that you are either deceitful or ignorant. How about you call a spade a spade. 

I am looking forward to a Stanley Cup contender as I am sure you are. In the meantime your fans will have greater confidence in your leadership if you just came out and said what they already know.

Our team sucks.

Well said. That's the kind of feedback that management needs. 

Benning (and Linden) might be giving us the song/dance strictly to appease ownership. A competetive team obviously results in more ticket sales, but they couldn't have honestly believed this team was a couple UFA signings away from making the playoffs. Everyone else knew we were a ways away. Why not just admit it? Did they honestly think we were going to be a good team once Loui Eriksson put the jersey on? Once Sam Gagner and MDZ donned the blue and green? Either they were delusional or they underestimated the inteligence of their fanbase. Neither one is a good look for them. So maybe they just did/said what the did because ownership made them? But the fans are sick of it. It's time they stood up and called it like it is, with brutal honesty. The fans aren't stupid. We know what's right for this team and we will patiently wait for a propper rebuild.

17 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well said. That's the kind of feedback that management needs. 

Benning (and Linden) might be giving us the song/dance strictly to appease ownership. A competetive team obviously results in more ticket sales, but they couldn't have honestly believed this team was a couple UFA signings away from making the playoffs. Everyone else knew we were a ways away. Why not just admit it? Did they honestly think we were going to be a good team once Loui Eriksson put the jersey on? Once Sam Gagner and MDZ donned the blue and green? Either they were delusional or they underestimated the inteligence of their fanbase. Neither one is a good look for them. So maybe they just did/said what the did because ownership made them? But the fans are sick of it. It's time they stood up and called it like it is, with brutal honesty. The fans aren't stupid. We know what's right for this team and we will patiently wait for a propper rebuild.

Your thought about management appeasing ownership may be true although it doesn't entirely make sense to me (is ownership that easily duped)? *sigh* But...I can't think of a better explanation as thin as it is. If true, they really must think the fans are gullible. 

I acknowledge it is likely rebuilding teams bring in less revenue. That should be incentive to get started and get through it quicker and to rejig the narrative around what the entertainment is that you will be selling for the near future (because it won't be making the playoffs and subsequent chance at the Cup). Many commercial enterprises experience cyclical revenue streams.

OK...I am not a business major...I may be talking out of turn here.

But I know when the hockey team I have been invested in for over 40 years is not competitive and when I am being fed BS.

Archived