The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

Say what you want about their bad defensive play and getting more offensive zone starts and PP time, but they're on pace for 55-60 points. They're still our leading scorers outside of Brock Boeser and Horvat.

Time to face it, this team doesn't have a lot of skill, even their lower-tier kids aren't very good and the Sedins are simply still better than most of them. 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Say what you want about their bad defensive play and getting more offensive zone starts and PP time, but they're on pace for 55-60 points. They're still our leading scorers outside of Brock Boeser and Horvat.

Time to face it, this team doesn't have a lot of skill, even their lower-tier kids aren't very good and the Sedins are simply still better than most of them. 

50 -60 points based on that stat alone is great however once you minus off what they give up on 5-5 and bad defensive play we really don't get that much from them anymore. Too many bad passes, too many missed checks, too many cant skate back into the play once the puck is turned over. They have scored better as of late but the defensive miscues keep piling up. They used to be able to outscore their defensive errors. Not anymore. We deride Jake and Nikolai for bad defensive play and they lose ice time. When do we hold the Sedins accountable?

i agree with both sides in this debate, but i do believe that this team will get worse without them, until those players that will take their places, take them. i'ld love to see pettersson, gaudette or a lind come in and replace them, but that is a lot to ask of young guys. the worse part is, if they make the team and struggle, fans are going to claim that jim chose the wrong players. too much pressure. 

the sedins are use to handling that kind of pressure. when they started, they were able to progress at their own pace and even then, vancouver fans called them sisters and made fun of them. 

which ever way it goes, i'm behind them, all the way.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i agree with both sides in this debate, but i do believe that this team will get worse without them, until those players that will take their places, take them. i'ld love to see pettersson, gaudette or a lind come in and replace them, but that is a lot to ask of young guys. the worse part is, if they make the team and struggle, fans are going to claim that jim chose the wrong players. too much pressure. 

the sedins are use to handling that kind of pressure. when they started, they were able to progress at their own pace and even then, vancouver fans called them sisters and made fun of them. 

I can see both sides also Joe but they are on the decline and there is no way to tell if they continue to produce at this years level next year.

I hope we get to see a couple more of the youngsters before the end of the season so we can tell if they are ready or not

One thing, I dont think it was the Vancouver fans calling  the Sedins the sisters......that was from other markets

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Good points. It's looking pretty likely they come back for at least one more year, on the bright side there is room for one more player now that Vanek is gone, and there's nothing stopping Benning from trading Bear and/or Granlund to make more room if it's needed.  Perhaps we will see something creative at the draft.   Better yet this time the Sedins don't have to get a NTC/NMC, and if they don't decline much could get us something back next deadline.

8 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I can see both sides also Joe but they are on the decline and there is no way to tell if they continue to produce at this years level next year.

I hope we get to see a couple more of the youngsters before the end of the season so we can tell if they are ready or not

One thing, I dont think it was the Vancouver fans calling  the Sedins the sisters......that was from other markets

i heard people i know, call them the sisters. our fans were involved alright. 

Just now, smithers joe said:

Yup.  It’s been going on since Niel McRae (RIP) started it.  I think the way the Twins did that Swedish Twins add shows how those comments from people don’t affect them.  

i'm not against them, not coming back, but if they don't, we have to be prepared to see us drop further than we have the last couple of years. it could get a lot more ugly. i hope i'm wrong.  i respect alf's views, i'm just not sold on next year, without them.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  It’s been going on since Niel McRae (RIP) started it.  I think the way the Twins did that Swedish Twins add shows how those comments from people don’t affect them.  

I cant argue if you heard it personally but i didnt hear it from this market it mostly came from Deadmonton and Calgary

Just now, smithers joe said:

i'm not against them, not coming back, but if they don't, we have to be prepared to see us drop further than we have the last couple of years. it could get a lot more ugly. i hope i'm wrong.  i respect alf's views, i'm just not sold on next year, without them.

I just think....how bad can it get? We are possibly drafting from a last place finish this year with them? what difference does it make without them?

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

I cant argue if you heard it personally but i didnt hear it from this market it mostly came from Deadmonton and Calgary

It started here by a reporter, who recently passed away, Niel McRae.  He was Mr. Total negative.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It started here by a reporter, who recently passed away, Niel McRae.  He was Mr. Total negative.  

I don't miss that guy one bit. You are right tho he's the grandpa of negativity in this market. He'd be proud of guys like Botchford and some of the really young analytics guys that tweet with anger. 

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Every fan base has its negative people, i don't think they are really fans as much as its something they use to vent their anger over other things in their lives. Even with our negative ninnies, we still haven't seen a jersey on the ice, and I don't think we've really run anyone out of town in the way Toronto did to Phil Kessel e.g. 

I also think we have a lot of people on media and twitter that are just as happy to cheer for Toronto, Boston or Chicago, and its easy to dump on the Canucks when you have other teams you care about. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't miss that guy one bit. You are right tho he's the grandpa of negativity in this market. He'd be proud of guys like Botchford and some of the really young analytics guys that tweet with anger. 

I remember the days of only CKNW for sports, and the morning spot where McRae gave his “Two Minute Hate” speech.  Guy was a classic curmudgeon.  There is a group of little hate mongers (led by Crotchford) all competing for that little loser niche market

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember the days of only CKNW for sports, and the morning spot where McRae gave his “Two Minute Hate” speech.  Guy was a classic curmudgeon.  There is a group of little hate mongers (led by Crotchford) all competing for that little loser niche market

at least in those days it was offset by the Larschied uber-optomism :lol:

I've really come to dislike twitter tho, it seems to lend itself to the worst kind of commentary and behaviour, and for some reason gets all the attention too. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

at least in those days it was offset by the Larschied uber-optomism :lol:

I've really come to dislike twitter tho, it seems to lend itself to the worst kind of commentary and behaviour, and for some reason gets all the attention too. 

I don’t have Twitter.  I see its value in the Trump Thread, with Harvey’s posts.  :lol:

i remember gallagher's hatred for pat quinn and how he tried to get him run out of town. using your medium to run your own agenda is so wrong. he would dig at pat in every article he would write. on one of them, the team won a game, like 7 to 2. he wrote how great the team played, but had to write, no thanks to pat quinn. when quinn had to fire his friend rick ley, gallagher wrote, don't feel sorry for that control freak, he got what he deserved. i dislike him to this day for those writings.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

come on

him and burkie

what a tandem

you know they did it for show.... for the show

they were more like buddies in real life

22 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

come on

him and burkie

what a tandem

you know they did it for show.... for the show

they were more like buddies in real life

dunno.. i think it was more like Torts and Larry Brooks