well there are enough rumours from insiders

that mcrae and burkie intentionally created their online friction

to increase ratings

and draw attention to the team and show

so careful about dumping this all on mcrae

he created his online personae to help him stand out in the media crowd

look at all the commercial air time he got as a result

and burkie did a lot to give his personae credibility

yah but creating the "sisters" thing was going too far. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you'll get no argument about that from me

but again i'd be a bit careful about blaming only one person for the mcrae personae

no matter what detail you may wish to specifically criticize

that burkie / mcrae thing had few boundaries which were considered normal back then

that was the pre tweeting / texting etc age

and they pushed what people were used to

so it got a big response and big notariety

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  It’s been going on since Niel McRae (RIP) started it.  I think the way the Twins did that Swedish Twins add shows how those comments from people don’t affect them.  

Yes it was Neil Macrae. What a wanker. I was so happy to see the end of Big Al Davidson. Be careful what you wish for.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What about the Sedins’ Dancing Swedish Twins commercial?

That did help pixilated the sisters image, which they brought upon themselves for money. 

Personally, I’ve always viewed them as more of a nightmare for the opposition. Like in the movie, The Shining. Those twins in the hallway was a disturbing scene. 

Calling them sisters in that context, that’s kinda of funny because it’s true, for some players I’m sure. 

EEB1566F-1F55-4BCF-9B27-7177D95407B0.thumb.jpeg.670710146f2c3a02e56755ec11af95f4.jpeg

18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That did help pixilated the sisters image, which they brought upon themselves for money. 

Personally, I’ve always viewed them as more of a nightmare for the opposition. Like in the movie, The Shining. Those twins in the hallway was a disturbing scene. 

Calling them sisters in that context, that’s kinda of funny because it’s true, for some players I’m sure. 

EEB1566F-1F55-4BCF-9B27-7177D95407B0.thumb.jpeg.670710146f2c3a02e56755ec11af95f4.jpeg

I think that was bad marketing gimmick by the Canucks and they were too young to argue.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think that was bad marketing gimmick by the Canucks and they were too young to argue.

That was a NHL marketing gimmick not the Canucks.  I still find that commercial funny though ::D

4 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I just think....how bad can it get? We are possibly drafting from a last place finish this year with them? what difference does it make without them?

you take away the points they have, and no one fills that void and then you say. what difference they make. who is going to score those 100 points?

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

i wonder if they enjoyed it too? i know, i wouldn't.

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Well, respect is earned and over the years, I think they have shown the kind of guts and strength required to compete at an elite level. Some of their antics have poor optics, like picking up opponents sticks, but at this point, nobody can question their ability to battle in a gladiator sport. 

25 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I agree with what the Sedins essentially said on the matter: I have a lot higher regard for a whole lot of women and girls than I do for the Dave Bolland's of the world in any event.

Dave Bolland - 31 years old and his career was over 4 or 5 years ago.

He talked a good game though.

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

50 -60 points based on that stat alone is great however once you minus off what they give up on 5-5 and bad defensive play we really don't get that much from them anymore. Too many bad passes, too many missed checks, too many cant skate back into the play once the puck is turned over. They have scored better as of late but the defensive miscues keep piling up. They used to be able to outscore their defensive errors. Not anymore. We deride Jake and Nikolai for bad defensive play and they lose ice time. When do we hold the Sedins accountable?

Something a lot here overlook. Their rapidly declining +/-  numbers.   Their first year as rookies, understandably they were in the minus, but only a -3 and -2. After that, for their time as Canucks they were always + players. Makes sense with such juggernauts. That is until the last two seasons. Where Danny was -16 and so far this season is again -16 as of today.  Henrik last season a whopping -27, this season so far, -17.  I don't have to explain what the +/- stat is to those in here right?  And what that means to their value on the ice. Its not all about point production on the ice, its also the points lost on the ice, and how that balances out.

No one hates the Sedins, including me, that kind of inflammatory language doesn't help the conversation, but ffs get real.  "Sedin" is not Swedish for " punch and headlock the Canucks organization into employing them another year" The Sedins are not more important than the team as a whole. Nor should their desires, like wanting another contract, be ahead of Travis Green's plans on what kind of team he wants to build here.

50 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

you take away the points they have, and no one fills that void and then you say. what difference they make. who is going to score those 100 points?

we wont find that out until we play some of the younger talent more. When Nazzy and Bert left they all said who is going to score. The Sedins showed them ...we will. Its just time for them to go.we  all have our time to retire. And the sad thing is they may finish last overall with them in the line up. We wont wont the cup next year with them on the team or off. We need to start letting the new core develop. No offense to them loved them in their prime they are just done.

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i'm not saying their points won't be scored without them, i'm saying, we have to be prepared to lose by more goals a game until these guys take over the mantle of full nhl'ers.

I dont disagree but we know they will have to leave and what if they cant produce at the pace they are this year? Im not absolutely sure one way or the other but i know its getting time for them to retire. and it might be easier to hold the guys accountable when the rules are the same for them all.or at least closer to it

10 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont disagree but we know they will have to leave and what if they cant produce at the pace they are this year? Im not absolutely sure one way or the other but i know its getting time for them to retire. and it might be easier to hold the guys accountable when the rules are the same for them all.or at least closer to it

i disagree that the sedins aren't trying their hardest. they just can't do some of the things they use to do. players who are able to play better but don't need to be made accountable. jagr and gordie howe played past their prime and though not as skilled as they once were, managed to help their teams to a certain degree. 

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i disagree that the sedins aren't trying their hardest. they just can't do some of the things they use to do. players who are able to play better but don't need to be made accountable. jagr and gordie howe played past their prime and though not as skilled as they once were, managed to help their teams to a certain degree. 

I don't know what in that post makes you think I believe they are not trying their hardest,I am just saying if Goldobin or Virtanen or Boucher or  Baertschi dont back check or don't get back in time they sit in the press box for a couple games.

I am not sure they can produce at this years pace again next year.And their minutes will be reduced next year as long as we dont get killed by the injury bug again.Jagr needed to be shown the door this year, Even Nazzy and Trevor hung them up when they did. they could have played longer but they knew it was time. Its their time. No disrespect to them Its their time.

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Once more you excuse them by claiming they have some kind of PP prowess. Do we have any proof they are better than any other two players at their salary - our real breakthrough in the PP has come from the inclusion of Boeser and the progress of players like Stecher and Horvat. There is evidence that Pettersson and Lind/Dahlen might equally fulfil these roles.

We need to stop pretending they are still bringing things to this team that can't be matched by others, whether they are prospects, signings or trades.

When you lose a Captain and Assistant Captain, it leaves a hole on the team. When you lose your 2nd and 3rd highest scorers, it leaves a hole on the team. 
Daniel has 8 goals in the past 8 games. Only 3 of which were on the power play. Stop acting like the Sedins don't still contribute. 

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

When you lose a Captain and Assistant Captain, it leaves a hole on the team. When you lose your 2nd and 3rd highest scorers, it leaves a hole on the team. 
Daniel has 8 goals in the past 8 games. Only 3 of which were on the power play. Stop acting like the Sedins don't still contribute. 

Im pretty sure when Nazzy retired it left a hole and Trevor before him and Smyl before that but there comes a time when they can be out produced by the younger players and with the PP time they get the O zone starts we will never know what other players can do in those places.

They do contribute offensively on the PP but they also do not contribute on the defensive side the way they used to. they cannot outscore their defensive lapses anymore.

Its time for them to retire and for us to move on.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Im pretty sure when Nazzy retired it left a hole and Trevor before him and Smyl before that but there comes a time when they can be out produced by the younger players and with the PP time they get the O zone starts we will never know what other players can do in those places.

They do contribute offensively on the PP but they also do not contribute on the defensive side the way they used to. they cannot outscore their defensive lapses anymore.

I get what you're saying, but let's leave that up to the Sedins and the Canucks organization. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The Twins will be back for one more season.  Whether that’s good or not?  We are still needing high picks in that 2019 draft, and the Twins can help us get there.  So can Gagner, Errikson, and our two goalies.  I really think JB will hold our youth off for one more season.  If he trades Tanev for 2019 picks then for sure that’s his plan.  

Archived