The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson breaks scoring record for U20 Rookie with 4 point performance

5Fivehole0

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-scoring-record-sweden-2018-canucks

Kids amazing

Hockey, Sports

Canucks' Pettersson explodes for 4 points to break 42-year-old record in Sweden

D65ee5c0c621138e6583683efa1bd7fe?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Rob WilliamsMar 08, 2018 12:23 pm648

What a season for Elias Pettersson.

The Canucks’ first round pick (fifth overall) from last year’s draft, his success as a 19-year-old playing against men in the Swedish Hockey League has been unprecedented.

Coming into Thursday’s game – the second last game of the SHL regular season for Vaxjo – Pettersson was chasing history.

With 51 points on the year, the Canucks prospect not only had a share of the league scoring lead, he was three points away from a record that has stood since 1976.

Kent Nilsson has owned the points record by a junior-aged player in the Swedish professional league for 42 years. It’s a record that many great U20 players – including Peter Forsberg, Nicklas Backstrom, Markus Naslund, and Henrik and Daniel Sedin – haven’t been able to match.

Not only did Pettersson break the record, he did it in style.

Pettersson showed off some dangles for his first goal of the game to take over the league scoring lead, inching closer to the record. Watch him toe-drag around an opponent before eventually beating the goaltender with a shot under the crossbar.

He added two assists in the second period to tie Nilsson’s record, before intercepting a pass at his own blue line and scoring on a breakaway to set the new mark:

Teammates and coaches congratulated the mild-mannered Swede, as the hometown crowd chanted his name
DXyiV4BVoAAy45Z?format=jpg&name=small

With the crowd chanting his name - Pettersson gets some congratulations from one of the Vaxjo coaches#Canucks

Pettersson now has a four-point lead in the SHL scoring race this season. He’s in the driver’s seat to win it, which would make him the first junior-aged player to lead the league in scoring since Nilsson in 1976.

"We have not taught Elias (Pettersson) anything about the game of hockey, he is teaching us", Växjö Lakers head coach Sam Hallam after tonight's 4-point performance and scoring record #Canucks #SHL

1 minute ago, Dral said:

So remind me again why people think he needs a year in the AHL again?

To get accustomed to the physicality of the NHL, by playing with former or prospective NHLers.

Petterson is an immensely talented young player. Probably one of the most talented from last year's draft. However, he is 6'2" and 165 lbs. He will be broken in the NHL without some acclimation.  

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To get accustomed to the physicality of the NHL, by playing with former or prospective NHLers.

Petterson is an immensely talented young player. Probably one of the most talented from last year's draft. However, he is 6'2" and 165 lbs. He will be broken in the NHL without some acclimation.  

I've seen a few folks post that he's more likely to get crunched in the AHL, with the assumption being there's more plugs down there I suppose. Not sure I buy that argument tho. Either way we'll know in our own training camp what he's capable of. 

Hopefully he loads up on this during the summer, maybe with some extra lard and bread. 

s328127075831127421_p854_i5_w500.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've seen a few folks post that he's more likely to get crunched in the AHL, with the assumption being there's more plugs down there I suppose. Not sure I buy that argument tho. Either way we'll know in our own training camp what he's capable of. 

Hopefully he loads up on this during the summer, maybe with some extra lard and bread. 

s328127075831127421_p854_i5_w500.jpg

Well, Green could just make sure that Elias is always out when Gudbranson is on, problem solved.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I will agree and say he needs to put on at least 10lbs this summer... that is not unreasonable. He is going to need muscle to protect his ligaments and bones when he is getting slammed by some of the much much much bigger boys in the show

That being said...

Petterson was the BPA at 5, easily.

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I will agree and say he needs to put on at least 10lbs this summer... that is not unreasonable. He is going to need muscle to protect his ligaments and bones when he is getting slammed by some of the much much much bigger boys in the show

When does his season/playoffs end?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, Green could just make sure that Elias is always out when Gudbranson is on, problem solved.

his body is really more like 6 feet anyway, kids got a neck like a goose. 

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

1 more game in the season, and then a few more weeks for playoffs.

He has a long off-season then. That gives him about 4-5 months afterwards?

10 pounds of lean muscle could be accomplished, especially if he gets beginner gains. The kid needs to get fat first. 

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

That being said...

Petterson was the BPA at 5, easily.

I think Benning may have a knack for drafting.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yup. And adjusting all his angles and movements for the different sized ice surface.  If this guy is capable of accomplishing what he has in the SHL, imagine how good he will be once he gains extra strength.  

I don't want to jinx it and it's entirely premature, but I'm just gonna say it: If you look at the records he has broken so far in his early career, he *could* end up one of the very best players we've ever had in our organization, if not THE best. He's now beat Nilsson who played in a different era, but managed to get triple digits in points four times and was over a ppg in virtually all other seasons he played.  He's easily beaten Forsberg, both Sedins, Naslund.  Like... really?  These guys were all franchise players ffs.

A couple of years ago many of us agreed we needed franchise players, but we weren't sure where we were going to get such talent.  Well, here ya go.

Just now, kloubek said:

Yup. And adjusting all his angles and movements for the different sized ice surface.  If this guy is capable of accomplishing what he has in the SHL, imagine how good he will be once he gains extra strength.  

I don't want to jinx it and it's entirely premature, but I'm just gonna say it: If you look at the records he has broken so far in his early career, he *could* end up one of the very best players we've ever had in our organization, if not THE best. He's now beat Nilsson who played in a different era, but managed to get triple digits in points four times and was over a ppg in virtually all other seasons he played.  He's easily beaten Forsberg, both Sedins, Naslund.  Like... really?  These guys were all franchise players ffs.

A couple of years ago many of us agreed we needed franchise players, but we weren't sure where we were going to get such talent.  Well, here ya go.

Looking forward to next season.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Nilsson played 7 fewer games

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Juolevi has quietly put in a good season too, nothing like this of course but there's good news on a few fronts with our prospects. 

Archived