The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I say give him at least another year on the squad. Besides. Every NHL team needs at least one flakey Russian who only works hard when he has the puck. LOL. Just kidding. I'm rooting for the kid. He definitely has some great offensive instincts.

This is the thing.  I'm actually 90% ok with it.  Not every player can or should be a 200' robot.  If every player was meant to play d and have superior fancy stats then they would be drafted for showing those skills.

goldy and players like him were drafted for their obvious talents- abilities  that the majority don't possess.  Goldy has raw ability.  This is a guy that should play on a line with good players - maybe one defence first line mate.

based on this year id rather see him than gagner, lui, Baer, Granlund, dowd.

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This is the thing.  I'm actually 90% ok with it.  Not every player can or should be a 200' robot.  If every player was meant to play d and have superior fancy stats then they would be drafted for showing those skills.

goldy and players like him were drafted for their obvious talents- abilities  that the majority don't possess.  Goldy has raw ability.  This is a guy that should play on a line with good players - maybe one defence first line mate.

based on this year id rather see him than gagner, lui, Baer, Granlund, dowd.

I get what your saying. Kessel is the poster boy for what you are describing. Not a 200 foot player by any means. But. A player that can get you a goal. A goal that maybe your team didn't work for. Didn't really do anything right but a goal scorer got you a "freebie". For sure I have no problem with one player on a team like that. It's not always going to be a chalkboard goal. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I get what your saying. Kessel is the poster boy for what you are describing. Not a 200 foot player by any means. But. A player that can get you a goal. A goal that maybe your team didn't work for. Didn't really do anything right but a goal scorer got you a "freebie". For sure I have no problem with one player on a team like that. It's not always going to be a chalkboard goal. 

Kessel and his line were instrumental in the Stanley cup playoffs.  I would suggest that goldy, under green, is more complete than kessel but that is a good comparison.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Kessel and his line were instrumental in the Stanley cup playoffs.  I would suggest that goldy, under green, is more complete than kessel but that is a good comparison.

Naslund is another one. He was a dog at his end of the rink. But was a gem offensively for us for awhile. And look how long he took to get it. I'm good with giving Goldy another year for sure. I find him entertaining at least. 

31 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Is this your pic?  I was sitting two rows in front of him and to his left.....I can see myself and my friend in the pic lol

Hey, this is your boss, you said you were sick tonight.:lol:

The new guys with the most ice time are the one's being given a chance to see if they can make the show. It is common when selecting a team that the guys that are making it get less ice time and the one's on the bubble are given every chance. I don't see Leipsic making it next year, Motte is a little more versatile for his PK, Pouliet may get another shot due to numbers, maybe Stecher is on the block. 

Kane is not coming here, too much money and he really wants the playoffs, he would dominate the dressing room, even his teammate stated in the interview that "he is a young guy that likes to have fun", on this team he would be an older vet.

As these games go on I see plenty of effort and "want to", but I also see size being a huge disadvantage, I see some players advoiding checks, I see plenty of in called penalties on both sides but the Nucks are getting away with more. I see the ref's auditioning for playoffs jobs and whistles in the pockets. I see almost no "push back" from opposing teams, scrums, face washes and few real hard hits.   

Oh well it is only one game.

This coaching and management seem to be focusing on developing young players. Gaunce continually got better , quicker and learned to play at a quicker pace.  Goldy just needs to do the same. Work on his first few steps and match the pace that the NHL game is played at. Gaunce is finding his niche to keep him at this level. Killing penalties and being an energy guy. If he adds a bit more offense then he will stay. Goldy can do the same but become an offensive catalyst.

8 hours ago, mll said:

Reading the latest article on Kane on the NHL website - sounds really unlikely that he would sign with a struggling team.  He says he's fed up of watching the playoffs on TV and wants to be part of it for a long time.  Also it sounds like he found a good fit in San Jose - talks of how he feels comfortable there.  Wilson certainly sounds hopeful that things will work out - he told Kane to see how he feels and they'll do the same and thinks it could be a good opportunity for both parties.

https://www.nhl.com/news/evander-kane-hitting-it-off-with-san-jose-after-trade-from-buffalo/c-296983092

But that is at this moment in time.  The Sharks are ebbing whereas the Canucks are bottoming and will start coming back up.  What would he rather be a part of -- perhaps a couple of playoff appearances accompanied by a fall-off of who knows how long or far, or a team about to begin its ascendancy with a youthful new roster?

51 minutes ago, rekker said:

I say give him at least another year on the squad. Besides. Every NHL team needs at least one flakey Russian who only works hard when he has the puck. LOL. Just kidding. I'm rooting for the kid. He definitely has some great offensive instincts.

That's great but... where?  Roster is already crowded and over-full if the Sedins return.  Do we bring no rookies in next year and simply roll with the same lineup as this year?

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But that is at this moment in time.  The Sharks are ebbing whereas the Canucks are bottoming and will start coming back up.  What would he rather be a part of -- perhaps a couple of playoff appearances accompanied by a fall-off of who knows how long or far, or a team about to begin its ascendancy with a youthful new roster?

He will be 27 in August, San Jose will have at least two more shots at the playoffs unless they open up the wallets and use some of the 20 mil in cap space they have, he would be almost 30 before he saw the playoffs with the Canucks. They have a bunch of guys just entering their prime and right now have quite a few injuries.

Sure give him 12 mil a season and he would/might come here.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's great but... where?  Roster is already crowded and over-full if the Sedins return.  Do we bring no rookies in next year and simply roll with the same lineup as this year?

I've turned to the no Sedins back next year side. Just a gut feeling but I think they are feeling the same way. 

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sedins are back, that was discussed a bit between periods, all accepted that they were back.

It's gotta be about the process.  I saw a team that rallied and put out a great effort.  To me, this is what being competitive means.  Sure, the Canucks are out of it but the game had a real playoff feel.  San Jose really wanted to win badly.  i think that the team can take a lot from this game.

Some players weren't so hot and we can see their ice time on the box score (Dowd and Boucher).  I thought that Virtanen and Goldobin were engaged despite the odd lapse.  Pouliot was being assertive and physical and showing that he can be a good player.  Again, the odd lapse.  And same with Marky.

Overall, the game was good.  Edler, the Sedins, Horvat, Stecher, Leipsic, hell, even Gags upped his game

Not a win but a game they can build on.

11 hours ago, Odd. said:

Leipsic has been our best forward since he's ever worn a canuck jersey.

He's still a bit greedy for me. Shoot first is great if you have a shot like Brock but he hasn't. He needs to get his head up and look for a team mate in a better position.

Tanev makes all the difference to the D and when Edler plays like that he looks like a giant for our team.

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What if he's starting to get the message and translate it into his play?  He was really layed out after he hit the post in the 3rd.  I'd like to see how he responds to that.

To my mind, it's going to be between Baertschi and Goldy for the 2LW spot.  They pretty much have the same game.  Benning will keep the one who is the better fit and move the other for a decent asset.

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Travis Green

Maybe some the people who are always on Edler's back will listen and learn from someone who is actually qualified to give an opinion on him. He is not perfect every night but who is? He carries the team on his back most nights and as Green says he's a leader and he cares.

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah I know but for some reason I just did, I don't know, maybe because this year is so bad already why not add to it with a record, probably also because I'd rather a team doing this bad this year to have that kind of record then a different year team who's decent/good breaking it.

:picard:

Archived