The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Maybe some the people who are always on Edler's back will listen and learn from someone who is actually qualified to give an opinion on him. He is not perfect every night but who is? He carries the team on his back most nights and as Green says he's a leader and he cares.

Ohlund wasn't perfect either. But his overall game, even with his eye injury was far superior to Edler. Folks here b!tch about Jake's lack of hockey sense. I think Edler has the same issues. 

9 hours ago, mll said:

Which team would take 2 lesser players and let go a better player? 

A contending team that has a good young Dman deserving of more ice time, who wants to be traded because a bunch of vets with NTC'S are clogging up the roster.

Or a team that wants forward depth takes Baer and Granny.

It's not absurd, it's not like I'm suggesting Baer, Hutton, Granny for Karlsson. 

Just an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ohlund wasn't perfect either. But his overall game, even with his eye injury was far superior to Edler. Folks here b!tch about Jake's lack of hockey sense. I think Edler has the same issues. 

I think your brain has already shut down if you think that. 

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We had some young guys who I thought made some mistakes tonight. It's one thing to learn to play in the league, it's another to learn to win in the league. At this time of year little details matter. A couple of our young guys made mistakes I didn't like. It's a process." - Green

And Boucher doesn't help himself giggling like a little girl when we are down. There is no way he gets on this team next season.

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What if he's starting to get the message and translate it into his play?  He was really layed out after he hit the post in the 3rd.  I'd like to see how he responds to that.

To my mind, it's going to be between Baertschi and Goldy for the 2LW spot.  They pretty much have the same game.  Benning will keep the one who is the better fit and move the other for a decent asset.

Edler, better meds, less pain. I noticed that the Sedins suddenly gained a step and then Hank dropped off now Edler seems to have lost 10 years as well, vitamins?

Goldy goes, Sven has problems and they would improve the trade also too much money. Goldy has more upside, he can carry the play and control the puck better than Sven. Both are a little small but Goldy looks more like a late bloomer, like he is physically maturing later, he still looks like a very young teenager. 

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Let's write off next season too then, if that is the case. Man this place will be grim.

I'm on the fence about the Sedins.  I really don't think they're the source of this teams troubles.  

I would start with the defense.  Then goal tending.  Then another scoring winger.

The argument for me is whether the Sedins are blocking players who really deserve to be playing.  To this point, this has not been an issue and it's debatable whether it will be next year either.

If Benning drafts a top LW, which is likely, things might change.

People can joke and "tank" talk away but the thing about this losing is that is different than the losing you can have when you are beaten in every aspect of the game.   Vancouver outhit and generally outworked the Sharks last night and that has been the case for many games the past month.   There have certainly been some stinkers but this remains a team too thin to be missing two of its top four D, 2/3 of its first line and not getting "steal me a game" goaltending and still expect wins.   I believe the encouraging thing is there is no quit with the young players, these are far from blowouts and Green is still able to assess a bunch of players getting more minutes than if the team was healthy and still in post-season wishing mode.

Of note last night was a much more inspired game out of Goldy - he seemed to realize there are less than a handful of games left and if he could get to 8 to 10 goals over the games/minutes he was in NHL this year it would help his stock considerably.

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

If there were 20 games left I'd say compete to win.  But we're what 10 games left?  Let's just mail it in and get us a top prospect in this years draft.

I am fundamentally against tanking but with our injuries and the possibility of Dahlin for only a tad more pain I'm fine

With it.

I don't want another year of collapsing. A top prospect + our other prospects we might be in wildcard battles next season which would be so exciting!

We had all this pain before and it guaranteed us FA.

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Maybe some the people who are always on Edler's back will listen and learn from someone who is actually qualified to give an opinion on him. He is not perfect every night but who is? He carries the team on his back most nights and as Green says he's a leader and he cares.

Honestly I don't get the Edler hate. Only Canuck fans see him as a bad player. Imagine if we didn't have him how bad our defense would be.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Edler, better meds, less pain. I noticed that the Sedins suddenly gained a step and then Hank dropped off now Edler seems to have lost 10 years as well, vitamins?

Goldy goes, Sven has problems and they would improve the trade also too much money. Goldy has more upside, he can carry the play and control the puck better than Sven. Both are a little small but Goldy looks more like a late bloomer, like he is physically maturing later, he still looks like a very young teenager. 

If you're trying to imply that the Sedins and Edler are on steroids, you're out of line.  Way off base. :picard:

Long term, maybe, Baer and Goldy aren't on the team at all.  Things would have to change for one of them not to fit.  Baer has already shown that he is a 2LW.  Goldy has yet to show that he is an NHL player.  I'm not saying that he won't be.  I'm hoping after last nights effort that he may be getting it finally.

Nobody is talking about this, but the way the draft is setting up, barring a miracle 1 OA pick, I expect the Canucks to be selecting 2-4 and taking a really high end left winger :).  That changes this discussion.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If you're trying to imply that the Sedins and Edler are on steroids, you're out of line.  Way off base. :picard:

I don't think he/she was as that would be as low as it can get on this board so I suspect he/she will come back to clear up that confusion but I certainly got that impression too and did a double take.   

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Long term, maybe, Baer and Goldy aren't on the team at all.  Things would have to change for one of them not to fit.  Baer has already shown that he is a 2LW.  Goldy has yet to show that he is an NHL player.  I'm not saying that he won't be.  I'm hoping after last nights effort that he may be getting it finally.

Nobody is talking about this, but the way the draft is setting up, barring a miracle 1 OA pick, I expect the Canucks to be selecting 2-4 and taking a really high end left winger :).  That changes this discussion.

I disagree.  Very inconsistent.  Has been scratched.  Hoping he is packaged and dealt.

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I disagree.  Very inconsistent.  Has been scratched.  Hoping he is packaged and dealt.

I think that no matter what player we take it changes the landscape on who is available for trade etc. If draft Dahlin, does Hutton or Tanev become available?

If we draft Svechnikov does another young player get sent out.

I think thats where it needs to be unless we can send the kid bumped down to Utica.Thus building the depth for some call ups when injuries occur

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I think that no matter what player we take it changes the landscape on who is available for trade etc. If draft Dahlin, does Hutton or Tanev become available?

If we draft Svechnikov does another young player get sent out.

I think thats where it needs to be unless we can send the kid bumped down to Utica.Thus building the depth for some call ups when injuries occur

True. Makes sense. I would think hutton is available at this point anyway.

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jake does not lack hockey sense, he lacks vision, simply because he has not yet learned to consistently keep his head up and look around.  Watch what happens when he does -- he holds onto the puck instead of throwing it away, and makes excellent passes and plays.

31 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Steroids? my god no, but older people can get testosterone supplemented by any doctor, that and there are many supplements that encourage the body to produce more natural endorphins. Heck even if they did they would be caught by the NHL drug testing if they are doing roids.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dowd and Boucher. Boucher was particularly invisible.

That's which the coach shut down in terms of playing time with 6 & 1/2 & 7 minutes.. A clear signal!

Pouliot made a mistake for a goal & got a penalty which caused anotherl. But competed hard & started the Goldobin PP goal. Some good, some bad!

Motte?  Not sure I can argue...

Can definitely add Boucher I honestly forgot he played last night.

Coming here is so depressing. I'm old, been watching the team since the start. Reading comments like "we were competitive" drives me nuts. Are we ever going to get owners that understand hockey and not just about how to fill their bottom line. It doesn't take many fingers to count the number of times when we have been truly "competitive". How many years have we had top notch management? We just hired a rookie pres, who hired a rookie GM, who hired a rookie coach and then hired another rookie coach. and that's our strategy for success? Are we ever going to go after a babcock or gallant? Some posters think were only a few players away, dream on, we're not even close.. Posters seem to forget other teams are improving to. Sorry but i have no faith in this management team.

Archived