The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?

All you people that are saying we have to make room for the youth and lets just drop the Sedins have to realize they are very talented and most of this teams scoring still comes from them sorry to say.If you put pressure on young guys to score and be great offensive threats well look what that did to some of those young guns in Edmonton.It is only after they trade these players to other teams that they start to excel.

I know alot think we can start playing the youth but if for a second you think Virtanen or Goldobin or even Bo can score enough to be close to the playoffs you are sadly mistaken.

Don't pressure the kids yet,they will get the core that Jim B. and Trevor L. wants and then grow together to be Champs,all in good time.

50 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny thing is how often are the Sedins injured? How many of these young supposedly tougher players continue to get injured? Sedins really aren't the problem, the problem actually is Benning as much as I like Benning, the Eriksson signing screwed up big time and the Gagner signing not a good one either. I'd really like to see those 2 gone easier said then done but I would move them and take the hit even buy one out if you have too just get them off the team, also Jokinen can be gone and bring back Vanek and have the Sedins and Vanek play together. That would leave 3 other lines for players on a rebuilding team more then enough.

Sedins don't get the hard match up ups defensively. Get preferred 73% Ozone starts and PP minutes. Bo and Sutter do all the heavy lifting. When have the twins ever been known as physical players and battle in the scrum? They are the the first ones off the ice when the tough stuff goes all chippy. They are not body checkers. Theirs is a perimeter game based on the PP and cycling when they can get it going. They don't get in harms way like our other forwards.

living up to your username I suppose. 

Hoping for a prospect to flourish and watching them succeed is far more gratifying than expecting them to be crap and getting you're I told ya so's in. Ill prefer to stay on my side of the fence. In the end JB traded a bad contract in exchange for him if he falls flat it won't be earth-shattering. However, all signs point to that not being the case he is on a very good trajectory. 

24 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sedins don't get the hard match up ups defensively. Get preferred 73% Ozone starts and PP minutes. Bo and Sutter do all the heavy lifting. When have the twins ever been known as physical players and battle in the scrum? They are the the first ones off the ice when the tough stuff goes all chippy. They are not body checkers. Theirs is a perimeter game based on the PP and cycling when they can get it going. They don't get in harms way like our other forwards.

While I don't disagree overall. I will say they have never been shy to play in the hard spots and they take a ton of punishment along the wall and net front. They may not be punishing to play against though I do disagree with your assertation that they tuck tail to the bench when things get chippy.

You can't expect a round peg to be a square peg. You're just trying the shove it in the wrong hole. 

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Twins each seem to be a 50 pt / -20 proposition, nowadays.

So which stat is more important? If they were 50 pt players, who achieved such numbers with grit & speed, it's SUCH an easy decision. Then you can 'bottom 6' them at times thru the season.

They're only helpful in them peripheral/depth roles, when the whole team is healthy.

It's like: "Hey Honey..let's go shopping for a new house that goes with our snazzy furniture!"

I completely agree.

The points the Sedins now achieve in what I see as very sheltered situations and the leadership value they offer is definitely not worth it considering their huge lack of speed, very poor velocity on shots, no power or toughness whatsoever , soft weak defensive play and bad penalties they take.

Their games simply have far too many holes in it to achieve good results and their offense doesn't even come close to making up for it or the 5 or so million they'll want to play.

Fact is there is plenty of other veteren  players on this team that play a much better overall game and would be great leaders that the young players would look up to and learn how to play the new NHL game that has to be played to win games these days.

For me all these very important things the Sedins don't do well are really hurting the team overall more than a lot of fans realize who tend to be mislead by the odd good offensive plays leading to points which seems like it has been in non pivotal moments and not when the team really needed their help.

The sad fact is in most important games this season when this team was actually playing for something and needed a boost from the Sedins they were invisable in any positive ways most times getting hemmed in their own zone, getting scored on, taking penalties ,squandering important powerplay opportunities or offensive zone faceoffs.

Considering all the cap room the team will have to sign better stronger players suited to the new NHL game, a few players get the chance we've seen great future potential from this season and upcoming dynamic extremely skilled helpful to the team prospects It's a no brainer that Jim Benning should and would be much better to move the team forward without the Sedins.

Having the Sedins back will just set this team back longer than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Wow that depth chart drops off drastically after Boeser.

Look at our offense the year lol. It's basically Horvat, Sedins and Boeser.

And it would be fine if our "shutdown" guys were actually shutdown. Sutter is terrible in terms of shot suppression and possession etc.

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Look at our offense the year lol. It's basically Horvat, Sedins and Boeser.

And it would be fine if our "shutdown" guys were actually shutdown. Sutter is terrible in terms of shot suppression and possession etc.

Ill have 2 scoops of vanilla please.

7 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

I would not have Gaunce and Boucher on that list. If they are in the opening day Line up....without the Twins....we are in serious trouble.

1 hour ago, the_impersonator13 said:

I would not have Gaunce and Boucher on that list. If they are in the opening day Line up....without the Twins....we are in serious trouble.

You do realize we've been one of the worst teams in the league the past 3 seasons. We've been in serious trouble for a while now

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who has a good list of the UFAs for this summer?

Glad you asked 

THE TOP 30 UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS OF 2018

1. JOHN TAVARES, C, 27
2017-18 cap hit: $5,500,000

2. JOHN CARLSON, D, 28
2017-18 cap hit: $3,966,667

3. JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK, LW, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $4,250,000

4. MIKE GREEN, D, 32
2017-18 cap hit: $6,000,000

5. JOSH BAILEY, RW, 28
2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

6. JAMES NEAL, RW, 30
2017-18 cap hit: $5,000,000

7. MIKAEL BACKLUND, C, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $3,575,000

8. EVANDER KANE, LW, 26
2017-18 cap hit: $5,250,000

9. ILYA KOVALCHUK, RW, 35
2017-18 cap hit: $6,666,666

10. JOE THORNTON, C, 38
2017-18 cap hit: $8,000,000

11. PATRIC HORNQVIST, RW, 31
2017-18 cap hit: $4,250,000

12. ZDENO CHARA, D, 41
2017-18 cap hit: $4,000,000

13. DAVID PERRON, LW, 30
2017-18 cap hit: $3,750,000

14. RICK NASH, LW, 34
2017-18 cap hit: $7,800,000

15. HENRIK SEDIN, C, 37
2017-18 cap hit: $7,000.000
&
16. DANIEL SEDIN, LW, 37
2017-18 cap hit: $7,000,000

17. PATRICK MAROON, LW, 30
2017-18 cap hit: $2,000,000

18. CALVIN DE HAAN, D, 27
2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

19. PAUL STASTNY, C, 32
2017-18 cap hit: $7,000,000

20. MICHAEL GRABNER, RW, 30
2017-18 cap hit: $1,650,000

21. THOMAS VANEK, LW, 34
2017-18 cap hit: $2,000,000

22. LARS ELLER, C, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $3,500,000

23. ERIK GUDBRANSON, D, 26
2017-18 cap hit: $3,500,000

24. TYLER BOZAK, C, 32
2017-18 cap hit: $4,200,000

25. ANTTI RAANTA, G, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $1,000,000

26. AARON DELL
2017-18 cap hit: $625,000

27. IAN COLE, D, 29
2017-18 cap hit: $2,100,000

28. CARTER HUTTON, G, 32
2017-18 cap hit: 1,125,000

29. TOMAS PLEKANEC, C, 35
2017-18 cap hit: $6,000.000

30. LEO KOMAROV, LW, 31
2017-18 cap hit: $2,950,000

OTHER UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS TO WATCH: Mark Letestu, Jonathan Bernier, Lee Stempniak, Antoine Roussel, Jan Rutta, Scott Hartnell, Patrick Sharp, Jack Johnson, Jay Beagle, Valtteri Filppula, Drew Stafford, Antoine Vermette, Jannik Hansen, Mike Cammalleri, Nick Holden, Joel Ward, Chris Kunitz, Benoit Pouliot, Luca Sbisa, Jaroslav Halak, Johnny Oduya, Thomas Hickey, Ryan Reaves, Jussi Jokinen, Toby Enstrom, Derek Ryan, Luke Schenn, Andrej Sustr, Radim Vrbata, Jaromir Jagr, Brian Gibbons, Riley Nash, David Desharnais, Blake Comeau, Dan Hamhuis

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2018

10 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I think we will miss the Sedin twins more than we realize.

YOU TALK ABOUT FACES OF A FRANCHISE,such good players and truly fine people.

Hoping they stay with the Canucks for a couple more years to mentor the new core of stars for the team and when they do finally retire stay with the club in some capacity.

Just so many skills and tricks of the trade to hand down.

Do people who wan't the Sedin's back really watch them play or know anything about hockey!?  It's mind boggling to think people are so high on them because of 50 point seasons...  Wake the F$## up people!  Other younger players deserve a look and the Sedin slow down has been hurting us!  Put two fresh faces out and give them the same opportunity as the Sedin's (ice time, PP time) etc and we can be watching some kids get 50 points or better!

17 minutes ago, VenitoHammer said:

Do people who wan't the Sedin's back really watch them play or know anything about hockey!?  It's mind boggling to think people are so high on them because of 50 point seasons...  Wake the F$## up people!  Other younger players deserve a look and the Sedin slow down has been hurting us!  Put two fresh faces out and give them the same opportunity as the Sedin's (ice time, PP time) etc and we can be watching some kids get 50 points or better!

Change, in & of itself, can be a lil' frightening. What worked in the past can become something of a security blanket, it would appear.

Archived