The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?

On 2018-03-30 at 6:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Who are two vet fwds you'd like to sign(or realistically acquire, via trade), should the twins decide to hang 'em up?

I'l say:

Jannik HB Hansen

Valterri Filppula

Both for 2 yrs, in the 2~3 mill range(is that realistic?..don't know?)

JOKINEN - (PETTERSSON) - VANEK

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This talk about Green and how they're not for his system is getting old, if this was so true they would of been healthy scratches this year which hasn't been the case once, its been these other players you actually speak of who are the healthy scratches. If anything Green talks about how much he likes the Sedins and has more trust in them then these so much stronger and tougher players coming up who just keep getting injured anyways, why are the Sedins still getting 15 mins a game if they're not for his system? These guys are producing vets on an undersized soft team and the teams not soft because of the Sedins they're soft because the team is full of undersized small players, not because of the Sedins.

This talk about them Not playing the system the way the coach is coaching is just beginning. If they dont retire its going to get way louder next season. They dont back check, they barely fore-check. They dont defend. they dont win face-offs in their own zone. they dont skate well. they are minus players who start almost exclusively in the O zone. Would you sign two players who dont play three quarters of the game with those stats? Remember they are minus 19-20 on a last place team. I know plus minus a bad stat for forwards but they do stink defensively.

There isn't a coach born , well maybe Torts who would sit the twins in the press box. Even though they deserved it a few times this year.

These guys are a soft duo on a losing team, with a losing record the last three years led by them.They don't outscore their defensive miscues anymore and others are outscoring them. its time to move on.

If you look it up, I think you will find that our schedule was extremely easy in the first third of the season (the NHL schedule-maker doesn't want the worst teams eliminated in November, so they typically get easy starts).  That's why we were so good back then, not a lack of injuries.  And, by 'so good' there, I actually mean 'terrible, but at least close to a playoff spot'...  Injuries are just an excuse.  Our expected-goal differential was just as bad early in the season as it is now.

11 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If you look it up, I think you will find that our schedule was extremely easy in the first third of the season (the NHL schedule-maker doesn't want the worst teams eliminated in November, so they typically get easy starts).  That's why we were so good back then, not a lack of injuries.  And, by 'so good' there, I actually mean 'terrible, but at least close to a playoff spot'...  Injuries are just an excuse.  Our expected-goal differential was just as bad early in the season as it is now.

Im not so sure of that stat. we beat Pittsburgh both games this year earlier in the year,. Injuries are not an excuse although many wield them like they are. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome a lot of the injuries they had like some teams.  we were playing better and if you take your number one center out of the lineup for an extended period of games most teams struggle. Now take out your number one defenseman to go with that. lets see what LA looks like without Doughty and Kopitar? Lots of teams would be in trouble losing their top D and Center.

57 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

This talk about them Not playing the system the way the coach is coaching is just beginning. If they dont retire its going to get way louder next season. They dont back check, they barely fore-check. They dont defend. they dont win face-offs in their own zone. they dont skate well. they are minus players who start almost exclusively in the O zone. Would you sign two players who dont play three quarters of the game with those stats? Remember they are minus 19-20 on a last place team. I know plus minus a bad stat for forwards but they do stink defensively.

There isn't a coach born , well maybe Torts who would sit the twins in the press box. Even though they deserved it a few times this year.

These guys are a soft duo on a losing team, with a losing record the last three years led by them.They don't outscore their defensive miscues anymore and others are outscoring them. its time to move on.

They've been minus players the last 2 years the last time they were minus players was in their rookie year, the last 3 years this whole team has been minus players so get ride of the whole team? Maybe if we had better Defense and better goaltending that stat wouldn't be as bad but it's not going to change just because the Sedins are gone lol, it will change when the Defense is addressed properly and better goaltending. 

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh I would feel so sorry for Carlsson if he had to do this, definitely no way he comes here actually, he'll want to go to a legit playoff team if he doesn't leave Washington, playing beside Edler would make him lose his mind.

I think you are too hard on Edler he's not a number 1 D nor is he paid like one. Your expectations are out of whak. 

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This talk about Green and how they're not for his system is getting old, if this was so true they would of been healthy scratches this year which hasn't been the case once, its been these other players you actually speak of who are the healthy scratches. If anything Green talks about how much he likes the Sedins and has more trust in them then these so much stronger and tougher players coming up who just keep getting injured anyways, why are the Sedins still getting 15 mins a game if they're not for his system? These guys are producing vets on an undersized soft team and the teams not soft because of the Sedins they're soft because the team is full of undersized small players, not because of the Sedins.

You really think that no matter how bad a Sedin plays that a Canuck coach is going to bench one of them? Get real. 

They are getting 15 minutes a game because of INJURIEs! Duh!  The team is not soft because of the Sedins? Wow! Can I borrow your rose colored glasses? Haha! 

Despite their point production, do you just ignore their defensive liabilities? Not sure how you can justify their point production when they are so awful defensively. 

Its like having a baseball player who bats .300 but commits numerous errors every time they play defense. This is about the time they become DH's. Ooops! we would need room for 2 DH's then I guess. :lol:

48 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You really think that no matter how bad a Sedin plays that a Canuck coach is going to bench one of them? Get real. 

They are getting 15 minutes a game because of INJURIEs! Duh!  The team is not soft because of the Sedins? Wow! Can I borrow your rose colored glasses? Haha! 

Despite their point production, do you just ignore their defensive liabilities? Not sure how you can justify their point production when they are so awful defensively. 

Its like having a baseball player who bats .300 but commits numerous errors every time they play defense. This is about the time they become DH's. Ooops! we would need room for 2 DH's then I guess. :lol:

How many vets have been a healthy scratch this year? You think because their name is Sedin he won't bench them haha, if Green really thought there were better players to fill their spots he would to send a message but seems like it's just the young ones he's not happy with in his system, AV had no problem benching Linden in his final year. 

What are you talking about, so you're saying this whole team is carried by 2 players the Sedins and that makes this WHOLE team soft and you're talking about rose colored glasses......:picard: Oh and on top of that you then blame the injuries for their ice time hahaha what's wrong with the players playing right now? Not good enough to be playing more? Without the Sedins offensive production this year this team would be the laughing stock of the NHL, actually an embarrassment.

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How many vets have been a healthy scratch this year? You think because their name is Sedin he won't bench them haha, if Green really thought there were better players to fill their spots he would to send a message but seems like it's just the young ones he's not happy with in his system, AV had no problem benching Linden in his final year. 

What are you talking about, so you're saying this whole team is carried by 2 players the Sedins and that makes this WHOLE team soft and you're talking about rose colored glasses......:picard: Oh and on top of that you then blame the injuries for their ice time hahaha what's wrong with the players playing right now? Not good enough to be playing more? Without the Sedins offensive production this year this team would be the laughing stock of the NHL, actually an embarrassment.

DO you see the Sedins as GODs or something? Seriously. They have mailed in a lot of games over their careers and the Torts year they mailed in an entire half of the season. In their hayday, the team would commonly win one game and lose the next, beat the good teams and then totally stink playing against lower standing teams. You seriously don't remember any of that?

Linden has stated that he doesn't even want to make the decision to not let them play once their contracts run out never mind a coach wanting to sit them. So yeah I think because their names are SEDIN they would NEVER be benched.

Never said the whole team was soft because of two players but they are the current leadership and they have some influence on how the team plays, how can they not?

Um.......there are currently a number of injuries to players who regularly play regular minutes.

Newsflash we are at the bottom of the standings champ, not sure we could be any worse with or without the Sedins.

What no come back about the defensive flaws of your gods? or am I just exaggerating on that too?:lol:

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?
9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

DO you see the Sedins as GODs or something? Seriously. They have mailed in a lot of games over their careers and the Torts year they mailed in an entire half of the season. In their hayday, the team would commonly win one game and lose the next, beat the good teams and then totally stink playing against lower standing teams. You seriously don't remember any of that?

Linden has stated that he doesn't even want to make the decision to not let them play once their contracts run out never mind a coach wanting to sit them. So yeah I think because their names are SEDIN they would NEVER be benched.

Never said the whole team was soft because of two players but they are the current leadership and they have some influence on how the team plays, how can they not?

Um.......there are currently a number of injuries to players who regularly play regular minutes.

Newsflash we are at the bottom of the standings champ, not sure we could be any worse with or without the Sedins.

What no come back about the defensive flaws of your gods? or am I just exaggerating on that too?:lol:

Are you trying to contradict yourself? From your previous post your the one who was kind of implying they were Gods because their name is Sedin and no coach would bench them. What Canucks team are you watching or following it's like you believe this team is still full of talent from 2011, and is Stanley Cup favorites or something it's been pretty clear and obvious since about 2013 this is a rebuild team, which isn't supposed to be good until players grow up which takes time still a couple more years to go. And again you go on about how they win one lose one, and your implying this whole team is carried by 2 players and that's the only reason they win one or lose one or beat the better teams or lose to the weaker teams, sorry to let you know it's a team not 2 players, blame goes to everyone not 2 players lol.

So they're going to tell the youth don't be physical or don't go hard on the for check to fight for the puck because they're not as good at it as they used to be but they're going to tell other players to not play that game? WTH are you talking about anymore.

So what's your excuse when they were playing 17 mins a night sometimes with no injuries on the team? On top of that the teams winning without these top players you speak of who take up top minutes maybe the teams better off without them then. Newsflash without the Sedins that's a 100 points missing definitely don't see anyone in Utica pushing to match that lol 100 points less is much worse as bad as it already is. 

Last time I checked I never once said they're good defensively I know they're not but I also know our whole D and Goalies aren't good defensively either, but at least the Sedins produce offensively and have something to contribute unlike the whole back end of this team.

Whether you like it or not the Sedins will be back next year and you can quote me on that, and it's nice knowing that before others, makes these arguments much more fun but just to bad fans have taken the Sedins for granted all these years even when they're still producing at their age, probably all the same fans who wanted Luongo out as well and called him washed up. 

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are you trying to contradict yourself? From your previous post your the one who was kind of implying they were Gods because their name is Sedin and no coach would bench them. What Canucks team are you watching or following it's like you believe this team is still full of talent from 2011, and is Stanley Cup favorites or something it's been pretty clear and obvious since about 2013 this is a rebuild team, which isn't supposed to be good until players grow up which takes time still a couple more years to go. And again you go on about how they win one lose one, and your implying this whole team is carried by 2 players and that's the only reason they win one or lose one or beat the better teams or lose to the weaker teams, sorry to let you know it's a team not 2 players, blame goes to everyone not 2 players lol.

So they're going to tell the youth don't be physical or don't go hard on the for check to fight for the puck because they're not as good at it as they used to be but they're going to tell other players to not play that game? WTH are you talking about anymore.

So what's your excuse when they were playing 17 mins a night sometimes with no injuries on the team? On top of that the teams winning without these top players you speak of who take up top minutes maybe the teams better off without them then. Newsflash without the Sedins that's a 100 points missing definitely don't see anyone in Utica pushing to match that lol 100 points less is much worse as bad as it already is. 

Last time I checked I never once said they're good defensively I know they're not but I also know our whole D and Goalies aren't good defensively either, but at least the Sedins produce offensively and have something to contribute unlike the whole back end of this team.

Whether you like it or not the Sedins will be back next year and you can quote me on that, and it's nice knowing that before others, makes these arguments much more fun but just to bad fans have taken the Sedins for granted all these years even when they're still producing at their age, probably all the same fans who wanted Luongo out as well and called him washed up. 

OK now your just babbling. Your like, agreeing with me but not liking it. :lol: Sorry to say but your beloved Sedins ARE REPLACEABLE and they are really not that good anymore despite the points they still may produce or how many minutes they play.

Hockey consists of offense AND defense and the game entails that you play both, this is not drop in shinny hockey here.

There are many possibilities to there replacements including those already on the team(Baert,Granny,Gagner and Ericksson), many rookies(EP,Goldobin,Virt,Dahlen,Gaudette,Leipsic) and any FA's out there.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

OK now your just babbling. Your like, agreeing with me but not liking it. :lol: Sorry to say but your beloved Sedins ARE REPLACEABLE and they are really not that good anymore despite the points they still may produce or how many minutes they play.

Hockey consists of offense AND defense and the game entails that you play both, this is not drop in shinny hockey here.

There are many possibilities to there replacements including those already on the team(Baert,Granny,Gagner and Ericksson), many rookies(EP,Goldobin,Virt,Dahlen,Gaudette,Leipsic) and any FA's out there.

Well I guess this argument is now done cheers! 

Not sure we need two vets coming in to be honest.  The team already has some strong vets to lead so the leadership element should be fine.

In terms of talent, short of making any premature predictions regarding kids earning spots next year, I think that's where internal competition should lead itself to young kids giving it their best to earn one of those spots.  Now I think Sven and Leipsic already have the top two left-wing spots secured, so the winger role that Danny played should be good.

Above all, getting a second line center would probably be of tantamount importance after this news today.  Doubt Gagner can play in that role at this point in his career, nor should we project Gaudette or Pettersson too prematurely.  Granny and Sutter are more defensively oriented.  With that, getting a stop gap #2 C who's youngish would be best IMO until Adam or Elias force their way up the lineup.  

Leipsic - Bo - Brock

Sven - (Stopgap) - Goldie?

Archie - Sutter - Granlund

Motte/ Dowd/ Gaunce - Gagner/ Gaudette - Virtanen   

20 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sorry but I have to point this out. Yeah I guess it is over now. Cheers!

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Sorry but I have to point this out. Yeah I guess it is over now. Cheers!

I was waiting for that... Was actually surprised you didn't mention it in the first post a few hours ago, but I'll admit I was told differently so this really caught me by surprise, but not going to delete it because I was wrong and I'll man up to it, cheers!

But for old time sakes they could of played 1 more year :frantic:

On 3/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, mikeyman109 said:

Im not so sure of that stat. we beat Pittsburgh both games this year earlier in the year,. Injuries are not an excuse although many wield them like they are. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome a lot of the injuries they had like some teams.  we were playing better and if you take your number one center out of the lineup for an extended period of games most teams struggle. Now take out your number one defenseman to go with that. lets see what LA looks like without Doughty and Kopitar? Lots of teams would be in trouble losing their top D and Center.

but you forget

we beat pitts only because

brock was lucky to score

again, and again, and again

pure luck

don't read anything more into it :P

:wub:

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I was waiting for that... Was actually surprised you didn't mention it in the first post a few hours ago, but I'll admit I was told differently so this really caught me by surprise, but not going to delete it because I was wrong and I'll man up to it, cheers!

But for old time sakes they could of played 1 more year :frantic:

Your right , they could have but you have to admit, being the classy players they are, they are going out the right way. They are more respected for leaving a little there then trying to squeeze out another year or two. They are going to be missed either way.

Kudos for manning up as well. Cheers CN4Cup!

Archived