The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Sign a College Defencemen

We should jump on the "sign a college defencemen train" before we're left at the station.... alone.... and cold.... and... alone...

Target:

Alec Rauhauser

Jimmy Schuldt

Mattias Göransson

Erik Autio

I specifically looked at Left side D so that they could get a better chance playing on that side and push out Del Zotto, Pouliot, or Hutton... also it doesn't sound like Joulevi will make the team next year.

I would put my money on Rauhauser seeing that Schuldt might sign with Montreal.

9 minutes ago, Sundstrom17 said:

We should jump on the "sign a college defencemen train" before we're left at the station.... alone.... and cold.... and... alone...

Target:

Alec Rauhauser

Jimmy Schuldt

Mattias Göransson

Erik Autio

I specifically looked at Left side D so that they could get a better chance playing on that side and push out Del Zotto, Pouliot, or Hutton... also it doesn't sound like Joulevi will make the team next year.

Montreal would be lucky to get one??? There both American players and Montreal is in a mess for year..Montreal don't have a very good talent pool, and current roaster won't get it done...Montreal will not make playoffs for 3-5 years..Montreal will not get any of the above players...there teams like NYR,NYI,Buffalo,Edmonton,Chicago,Vancouver, Detroit...They will pick one of these 7 teams..

These very good college players have lots of better teams to pick..

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Montreal would be lucky to get one??? There both American players and Montreal is in a mess for year..Montreal don't have a very good talent pool, and current roaster won't get it done...Montreal will not make playoffs for 3-5 years..Montreal will not get any of the above players...there teams like NYR,NYI,Buffalo,Edmonton,Chicago,Vancouver, Detroit...They will pick one of these 7 teams..

Jimmy Schuldt played with Montreal prospects Ryan Poehling and Charlie Lindgren so there is a close connection there and he has also joined the Canadiens camp last year.... so montreal does have a foot up on us. But if by chance he chooses us..... i would be more than thrilled!

I am also a big Canucks fan (don't get me wrong) I am not sure we are a "better team". Look at Brogan Rafferty and Zach Whitecloud they did not sign with any of your 7 teams but signed with LA and LV ... both teams that are better then us. With our Luck.... we will get the Swede!

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why would you say it doesn't sound like Juolevi will make the team next year?

I just heard Pratt on the radio this week saying how he was a disappointment and not making the strides he needs to make it sooner then later to the team. I know it's just grumpy Pratt.... I am in no rush to push Joulevi into a spot if he is not ready. Signing a college kid who has a higher chance of being ready is a better option I think.

Alec Rauhauser,

I don't know anything about this young man other than he is 6' 3" and 216 pounds,and that is a terrific hockey name,sounds like rough houser and the Canucks could use that on the back-end.

He would get a real chance to be on our defensive squad.Other teams he would have to sit for months before getting a real chance at the bigs.

Also we could use more defensemen to choose from,simple as that.

4 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Alec Rauhauser,

I don't know anything about this young man other than that is a terrific hockey name,sounds like rough houser and the Canucks could use that on the back-end.

He would get a real chance to be on our defensive squad.Other teams he would have to sit for months before getting a real chance at the bigs.

Also we could use more defensemen to choose from,simple as that.

Bowling Green State University sophomore Alec Rauhauser was named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association defenseman of the year, and second-team All-American by the American Hockey Coaches Association.

6'3" - 216 lbs! Great size ta boot!

6 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Pratt doesn't know his arse from his brain.  Juolevi will be with the Canucks come October. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-sports-columnist-canned-for-plagiarism-1.723905

Agreed on Pratt.... but... Signing a college guy could push Joulevi to make the team or show that he needs a year in Utica before he comes up...

I am not sold that he will make the team.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Seems to be a bit contradictory. Montreal is a hot mess, but those 7 teams are supposedly better options? There's some disconnect on the team in Montreal, but they have talented players. Bergevin set them back a bit, but that just creates room for these college players if they are looking for an easier route to the NHL. Edmonton would be a good option for a dman, but none of these guys will put that team over the top. NYI has an overload of defense. NYR says they are rebuilding, then are possibly signing Kovalchuk, so who knows what they're really doing there and if they have a real direction. Chicago is on a decline and will be at best a middling team for at least a few years until they can find some talent to bolster their lineup or hope their current guys finds their games again. Vancouver and Detroit are good options, but are further away from being competitive than Montreal could be if managed properly.

34 minutes ago, Sundstrom17 said:

Agreed on Pratt.... but... Signing a college guy could push Joulevi to make the team or show that he needs a year in Utica before he comes up...

Most of the reports I've seen from Salo suggest he'll be ready. 

3 hours ago, Sundstrom17 said:

I just heard Pratt on the radio this week saying how he was a disappointment and not making the strides he needs to make it sooner then later to the team. I know it's just grumpy Pratt.... I am in no rush to push Joulevi into a spot if he is not ready. Signing a college kid who has a higher chance of being ready is a better option I think.

It's not grumpy Pratt.  It's idiot Pratt.  He just is.....

Honestly, I hope the Canucks make a run at Cale Morris. With Bachman coming off the books, DiPetrio returning to the OHL for one last season, and Nilsson only having one year left on his deal, it makes a lot of sense for both sides. This also gets another young goalie into the system right away.

And thus, the depth chart for goalies could look like this:

Markstrom
Demko

Nilsson

Morris

That's not bad.

6 hours ago, Sundstrom17 said:

Target:

Alec Rauhauser

Jimmy Schuldt

Mattias Göransson

Erik Autio

Well, get in line with 30 other teams trying to do the same thing.

Oh, and what on earth do you mean "doesn't sound like Juolevi will make the team next year"?!   Do you have a crystal ball and have already seen the Young Stars tourney, training camp and the exhibition games?    Do you use those powers with the lottery system in Canada?

6 hours ago, Sundstrom17 said:

Target:

Alec Rauhauser

Jimmy Schuldt

Mattias Göransson

Erik Autio

If any of these guys are good enough to be signed....they will be signed. 

Canucks are getting close to the contract cap though and they want to use those on their own prospects so the signing of college and junior UFA's may be a bit less this years than others.

3 hours ago, sonoman said:

Most of the reports I've seen from Salo suggest he'll be ready. 

If he had been part of, for example, Tampa's organization this year he could have played in the NHL in a protected manner per, say, Sergachev.    That isn't always the best idea for development but he showed he can play with men in a fast league and on big ice.   He needs to get stronger - EVERY 19 year old Dman needs to get stronger.

8 hours ago, Sundstrom17 said:

The fact he failed to make it last year should be all the motivation he needs. 

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The fact he failed to make it last year should be all the motivation he needs. 

That is very true... but if he's not motivated enough... i'd rather have a back up plan in signing a college kid just in case. Better to be safer then sorry. Depth is always good.

Archived