The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (P1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (M1) Washington Capitals | Capitals win 2018 Stanley Cup

2018 Stanley Cup Final  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Capitals in 4
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2018 at 12:00 AM

On 5/23/2018 at 9:32 PM, 6string said:

It's nice to see many hockey fans in here pulling for Washington, it seems to be the majority.

Queue up the charity expansion Knight apologists....

I'm cheering for Vegas. They're a great story. Why would anyone need to apologize for their success? They've outworked every other team to get to where they are. Vegas baby!

3 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I'm cheering for Vegas. They're a great story. Why would anyone need to apologize for their success? They've outworked every other team to get to where they are. Vegas baby!

I'm sure you'll be cheering for Seattle too with their struggle to win a cup in their inauguration. 

3 hours ago, 6string said:

I'm sure you'll be cheering for Seattle too with their struggle to win a cup in their inauguration. 

Sounds like you're bitter the Canucks have only been to the Final 3 times in 40+ years and never won the Cup while Vegas might win it all in their first year. People don't have to like Vegas but they've earned the right to be where they are.

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Sounds like you're bitter the Canucks have only been to the Final 3 times in 40+ years and never won the Cup while Vegas might win it all in their first year. People don't have to like Vegas but they've earned the right to be where they are.

Reads like you're quick to rush off with judgement of people by calling someone bitter because they disagree with you.

My point of contention with expansion is why did they approve the new rules as opposed to keeping with tradition. Many of us said Vegas were immediatley put into a playoff race.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Reads like you're quick to rush off with judgement of people by calling someone bitter because they disagree with you.

My point of contention with expansion is why did they approve the new rules as opposed to keeping with tradition. Many of us said Vegas were immediatley put into a playoff race.

You could argue with that line of logic that they never should have made players wear helmets or goalies wear masks for the sake of maintaining tradition. The expansion draft rules were changed because many of the teams that were produced from them were awful. Keeping the same archaic rules in place just because other teams had to suffer through them isn't necessarily a great idea. Imagine if governments functioned that way.

Even at best, teams could protect up to 15 players instead of 11 in the 1993, 1998, 1999, and 2000 expansion drafts. There were also fewer teams to pick players from and recent expansion teams could protect all their players. No expansion team from the last 25 years before this managed to win more than 28 games in their inaugural season or make the playoffs before their third season.

Were the rules a bit too generous in hindsight for Vegas? Maybe in hindsight, but very few people predicted the Knights to have any of success this year (if you or many other people did like you said, I want to see proof). The players and coaches deserve a lot of credit for creating a team that's greater than the sum of it's parts.

Wow it must be a slow day for you to write up all of that which has been covered by lamestream media who are on message for the league.

This year's expansion rules were a gift that keeps on giving and Seattle will be on the gravy train soon too, enjoy the Canucks taking a back seat once again.

Btw I find your handle offensive.

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

You could argue with that line of logic that they never should have made players wear helmets or goalies wear masks for the sake of maintaining tradition. The expansion draft rules were changed because many of the teams that were produced from them were awful. Keeping the same archaic rules in place just because other teams had to suffer through them isn't necessarily a great idea. Imagine if governments functioned that way.

Even at best, teams could protect up to 15 players instead of 11 in the 1993, 1998, 1999, and 2000 expansion drafts. There were also fewer teams to pick players from and recent expansion teams could protect all their players. No expansion team from the last 25 years before this managed to win more than 28 games in their inaugural season or make the playoffs before their third season.

Were the rules a bit too generous in hindsight for Vegas? Maybe in hindsight, but very few people predicted the Knights to have any of success this year (if you or many other people did like you said, I want to see proof). The players and coaches deserve a lot of credit for creating a team that's greater than the sum of it's parts.

Wow it must be a slow day for you to write up all of that which has been covered by lamestream media who are on message for the league.

This year's expansion rules were a gift that keeps on giving and Seattle will be on the gravy train soon too, enjoy the Canucks taking a back seat once again.

Btw I find your handle offensive.

8 hours ago, 6string said:

Actually that wasn't a judgement. I said he sounded bitter. A judgement would have been me saying he is bitter. Personally I don't care if people don't agree with me.

Why not keep tradition? Because it sucked! For the players, fans, and the league. Ottawa was garbage for 10 years. The league recognized the old way sucked and changed it. If all these people were saying Vegas was a playoff contender then why were the betting odds stacked against Vegas?

13 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Sounds like you're bitter the Canucks have only been to the Final 3 times in 40+ years and never won the Cup while Vegas might win it all in their first year. People don't have to like Vegas but they've earned paid for the right to be where they are.

Fixed that for you. But I agree, hating on them just cause they might win it their first year is pretty poopy way to experience hockey. I enjoy the NHL for the spectacle. I just think Ovi deserves it more. 

Some Las Vegas sports books are offering to buy back 500:1 odd Vegas Golden Knights Stanley Cup tickets at 100:1 odds.

For example, if you put a $100 bet on the Golden Knights to win the Cup before the season it would be worth $50,000 if they win, but they will give you $10,000 for that ticket right now.

2b1cnr1.jpg

On 5/26/2018 at 2:10 AM, Qwags said:

I didn't realize just how much the league is stretching this out. Game 1 is on Monday.

This may benefit the Caps (oops, sorry vegas fans, I mean the caps....no capitals allowed) given they seem the more banged up team and Backstrom having an extra weekend is huge.   Intriguing series for a couple of reasons beyond the obvious.   Of all the 16 teams entering the playoffs this year, Gallant and Trotz are probably the most similar in their reputation as being player's coaches and who try and generate odd-man rush opportunities versus a grind/cycle game for offence.   I also think the caps will be a different type of physical for vegas - just like reaves wasn't that great against the caps this year when he was in pittsburgh.    

Very much looking forward to a series that could go either way.   I have a nice tidy sum bet with a friend that who ever wins game 2 will be hoisting the cup.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Some Las Vegas sports books are offering to buy back 500:1 odd Vegas Golden Knights Stanley Cup tickets at 100:1 odds.

For example, if you put a $100 bet on the Golden Knights to win the Cup before the season it would be worth $50,000 if they win, but they will give you $10,000 for that ticket right now.

2b1cnr1.jpg

LOL.

I think I'd roll the dice on the 50k at this point.

On 25/05/2018 at 6:46 AM, buddhahoodlum said:

I'm cheering for the Caps, who are 44yrs strong without a SC.  They can win it this year.  Now that's a hockey story!

Archived