The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

The reason these guys are blockers and not competition is they earned their spots the day they signed their bloated contracts. I think everyone agrees Beagle Roussel and probably Schaller will be on the roster opening night. No matter how well Goldobin Dahlen Pettersson Leipsic Gaudette play there is no chance they all make the team!!! Let’s say those 5 are the best we have preseason, just like Boeser and Stetcher were, they won’t be in lineup, and we are left hoping for an injury to Beagle or Sutter or whoever is playing crappy. 

Competition is when you have 5 players fighting for 2 spots, not 5 players competing for 0 spots. When making the team is contingent on a trade it complicates matters waiting for a trade to materialize. That is when the player that makes the team is on the bench so that the guy who didn’t is in the lineup to increase his trade value. When has Benning ever made a trade to get a player who earned it in to the lineup? We have been left waiting for injury like with Stetcher, or poor play like how Boeser got in. 

Gaudette is a 2 way centre, why would he learn a new position at the NHL level? If a player like Pettersson or Gaudette are projected as centres that is where they should play. If Pettersson plays wing again this year, like he did last year we will be doing to him what Montreal did to Galchenyuk. How did that work out?

I see HW covered this already.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

As bottom-6 players.

As top/middle-6 players.

Goldobin is simply not competing with Beagle for a spot in any sane person's mind. He is competing with the likes of Leipsic, Baer, Gagner, Dahlen etc for a top 6 skilled W spot. Want one of their spots? Take it. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough, we'll move on to (or stay with) the guy who is.

Beagle will be on the team because we need a tough, match up, PK'ing, face off winning 4C to shelter all the skilled kids we hope are winning jobs in the top 6. None of our prospects fill that role.

As for Schaller:

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

He has an injury currently and isn't expected to be ready for the start of the season. No one hopes for someone to get injured.

38 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Never said average it was reported that he was offered 1.15 mill for 1 year. That was 1 of 10 teams interested. Agent did a number on Benning driving up price using that offer, saying we have 10 teams interested. Don’t know what the other 9 were, but I do know it was not 3 mill for 4 years with ntc.

Theres a 0% chance that 1.15mill was a legitimate offer. We overpayed by a year and 500k. One of the best defensive forwards on a stanley cup winning team and one of the best in faceoffs throughout the league. Now why would a team want a guy like that hmmmmm let me think.  Maybe, and this may seem outlandish to you but starting with the puck more often than not would be a good thing. Win the faceoff...get the puck to Hughes...then watch the magic show. 

56 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Leipsic was good in Vegas on their 4th line but can’t be on ours? 

I've seen literally nobody post that.

Schaller, Beagle, Leipsic could theoretically be what we see for our 4th line. Or maybe someone else ends up playing there. We'll see.

What there isn't though, is some huge problem that you seem to perceive there to be.

1 minute ago, ohmy said:

Theres a 0% chance that 1.15mill was a legitimate offer. We overpayed by a year and 500k. One of the best defensive forwards on a stanley cup winning team and one of the best in faceoffs throughout the league. Now why would a team want a guy like that hmmmmm let me think.  Maybe, and this may seem outlandish to you but starting with the puck more often than not would be a good thing. Win the faceoff...get the puck to Hughes...then watch the magic show. 

I could see WAS offering something along those lines to stay on the cup winning team as they are imminently cap-strapped. But it's not remotely his market value. It would have been a heavy discount to stay on the winning team.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I could see WAS offering something along those lines to stay on the cup winning team as they are imminently cap-strapped. But it's not remotely his market value. It would have been a heavy discount to stay on the winning team.

Oh yeah definetly agree thats something WASH would offer but on the open market forget it. You wont get a bargain unless your hunting the secondary market. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks lost Frankie "the Machine" Corrado?!?!?!?! What!?!??!?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Okay PB, think I started following the Canucks hard a year or two after whatever the bleep this is. Help a guy out and provide some context here?

2 minutes ago, Guile said:

Okay PB, think I started following the Canucks hard a year or two after whatever the bleep this is. Help a guy out and provide some context here?

Not sure what the hell this is, Guile. It looks like a really sad attempt at parkour.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure what the hell this is, Guile. It looks like a really sad attempt at parkour.

Actual footage of Nikita Soshnikov, Joffrey Lupul, and good ol' Frankie Corrado trying to escape their cells on Robidas Island?

• Haha 1

So going back to my point, making trades to open roster spots complicates things. Why has Hughes not signed yet? I know for a fact Benning wants to sign Hughes. Hughes has stated he thinks he is ready, and can help the team now. He wants to sign, could it be he is waiting for a roster spot to open? Everyone seems to think Benning can make trades happen so easily if prospects are ready, and losing players for nothing is no big deal. 

Seems like everyone is saying can’t have 3 rookies on same team and win. Someone should have told Toronto I guess that you can’t win with Marner Mathews and Nylander. New Jersey with Bratt, Hishier, Butcher. Colorado with Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, Gerardi. Boston with Mcavoy Heinen, Debrusk. Guess all their rebuilds were a failure. Those are just the teams that had at least 3 rookies in prominent roles, but throughout the league lots of teams had at least 3 rookies. But I guess those teams just made mistakes spending their money on good payers and filling their roster with rookies.

Just now, Watchincanucks said:

So going back to my point, making trades to open roster spots complicates things. Why has Hughes not signed yet? I know for a fact Benning wants to sign Hughes. Hughes has stated he thinks he is ready, and can help the team now. He wants to sign, could it be he is waiting for a roster spot to open? Everyone seems to think Benning can make trades happen so easily if prospects are ready, and losing players for nothing is no big deal. 

Seems like everyone is saying can’t have 3 rookies on same team and win. Someone should have told Toronto I guess that you can’t win with Marner Mathews and Nylander. New Jersey with Bratt, Hishier, Butcher. Colorado with Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, Gerardi. Boston with Mcavoy Heinen, Debrusk. Guess all their rebuilds were a failure. Those are just the teams that had at least 3 rookies in prominent roles, but throughout the league lots of teams had at least 3 rookies. But I guess those teams just made mistakes spending their money on good payers and filling their roster with rookies.

If Hughes signs, room will be made.  Including just straight up waiving. /coughhutton

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Watchincanucks said:

They sure as hell did not sign him for 4 years at 3 mill per! They know him better than anyone. Been hearing the teams were offering 1.15 mill per, cause that’s what winning teams do. They don’t get saddled with bad contracts filling roster with expensive 4th liners.

Desi?  Is that you?  

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Isn't this a Quinn Hughes thread?

I had the same thought. It sounds to me like Benning really wants him to make the team this year, and if he outplays Hutton and Pouliot, well, then he'll play. This is what I think the D will look like this year:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Pouliot

Hutton waived to Utica. Juolevi will join the team after the TDL (when they trade Del Zotto)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Let's not go back to your point and just say we did, m'kay?