The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He plays 30 minutes a night on average and is lazy? Perhaps he conserves his energy because going full out for 30 minutes a night will not go well.

Has plays drawn up for him and that's why he's producing? How else do you expect plays to be drawn up? I'm certain any player with good offense will generally have the offense designed around them. Perhaps a guy like Hughes has more creativity, but that doesn't take away what Bouchard has accomplished.

Skating was always in question for him, but had we taken him, I'm sure people will just say to get him on the Horvat training and he will be fine. So it's up to him to be determined enough to improve in this aspect of his game.

I'm certain that the perspective of Bouchard would completely change if we had drafted him instead.

my point was. anyone playing 30 minutes of easy ice time where it is mostly spent floating while having the majority of the plays goes through him is going to rack up the points. I watched at least 15 games of his live. The amount of time he got caught cheating and not backchecking was pretty bad.  I just saw to much cherry picking from him. But hey we all have our own views. 

The one thing I disagree on. was he was not conserving energy. The guy barely moved.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your first post is to cut down another prospect? Geez.

Actually was on here for 4 years. took down my account last year due to the fact there was just too many trolls. I watched him live many times. From what I have read. I'm not the first person to point out his flaws. Everyone will have different views on prospects. I was just stating mine. Cheers.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:44 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Quin Hughes (some said his skating was exceptional) is not the only player rated as one of the fastest skaters in the 2018 draft. Also in the mix (whether we agree or not) are:

Merkley - some said he is the fastest

Noel

Boqvist

Dahlin - some said his skating is sublime

Foudy

Berggren

Kupari

Just spitballing.

Another very well respected poster on here. Said Dahlin's skating is a gear below Quinns.  There is a prospect vid on q. The title is meet the fastest player in the 2018 draft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I am a tad young to have seen Housley in his prime so I did some digging and watched some film and YES, a comparable for sure.    I the Hughes has finally someone that is remotely close to his style of play that you could compare him to.   Housley seemed to be a 4th forward many, many times.   If the chemistry he had with Selanne could be the same with Hughes and Boeser for example....and wow.    

Thanks to whoever originally suggested this as a compare as I was not thinking any of the other names made much sense.

Getting to watch Housley and Selanne live was something I wish I got to see in my teens;. Not when I was 8 years old. I just remember my dad who grew up in Flin Flon and hated anyone non-Canadian. Jumping out of his seat when those two would work their magic Long live the Flin Flon Bombers. LOL.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, thrago said:

All I can say is of all the picks we have made in for as long as I can remember this is the pick I was most excited about right from the second We picked him.  Boeser and Petterson grew on me but I was excited right away with Hughes.  

Yup Once it was Detroit's pick I said a prayer that Hughes would fall to us. I never even considered him falling out of the top 4

• Upvote 2

This is a hilarious thread ::D Hughes will probably be a good D-man but comparing him to Dahlin isnt fair. I hope Hughes will have a great year in NCAA and the development goes as planned! We need that for sure

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think several of us were high on Boqvist, because we thought there was zero chance Hughes would fall to us.  Hughes will be an NHL superstar.  Boqvist has a chance to be a star, but he is also highly bustaroo material.  If we didn’t get Highes, I would have been happy with Boqvist.  

I wouldn’t have been happy. I’d rather have Bouchard or Dobson then Boqvist. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-08-11 at 1:58 AM, messier's_elbow said:

I wouldn’t have been happy. I’d rather have Bouchard or Dobson then Boqvist. 

You saying you would have been unhappy if Benning selected Boqvist with our pick? I mean, having any of Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, or Hughes would have made me incredibly happy. There is a lot to like about all 4 guys, and of course downsides to all 4 guys.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

That’s a solid list. Very close to what I had as well. 

After watching Hughes fitting right in at the World Championship I moved Hughes into the 3rd spot ahead of Zadina.

Also, I love that you had Miller in your top 20. I definitely would’ve picked him in the top 20. I think he has an insane amount of raw talent and that with his swag personality and confidence on the ice that he’s going to shine in NYC. 

Yeah in a lot of ways I might have actually preferred Miller over Bouchard (or taken one of the many solid forwards there/traded down etc). I think the kid's gonna be a player. Though Bouchard's certainly a 'safer' pick.

And yeah, I could see Hughes/Zadina flipping.

I did a fair bit of wheeling and dealing in my fantasy league and ended up with Hughes, Smith, Farabee and Miller :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup risky and project. HIGH ceiling though.

Yes risky project. This is where Hughes is a better pick vs Bomqivst. Hughes has as high as a ceiling, but he is less risky and way less of a project. 

That’s why none of us thought he would be there when the nucks picked. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Yes risky project. This is where Hughes is a better pick vs Bomqivst. Hughes has as high as a ceiling, but he is less risky and way less of a project. 

That’s why none of us thought he would be there when the nucks picked. 

I'm enjoying you pulling everyone's leg with the Boqvist spelling thing ! Started with Bomquist.......'a phone auto spell' you said. It changed to alternating from Bomquist to Bomqvist and now your 'phone' has flipped two of the letters, Bomqivst. What kind of phones do they sell on the East coast ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I'm enjoying you pulling everyone's leg with the Boqvist spelling thing ! Started with Bomquist.......'a phone auto spell' you said. It changed to alternating from Bomquist to Bomqvist and now your 'phone' has flipped two of the letters, Bomqivst. What kind of phones do they sell on the East coast ?

$&!#ty ones...  

The last spelling was my bad. I thumb type and have sausage fingers. Usually while killing time between calls. Oops. Sorry Bomqvist... 

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

$&!#ty ones...  

The last spelling was my bad. I thumb type and have sausage fingers. Usually while killing time between calls. Oops. Sorry Bomqvist... 

there is no "m" in his name. 

hughes has more dynamic skating and puck skills, boqvist has the far better shot. I could see them having similar point totals, boqvist with more goals (particularly on the pp), but hughes having an overall greater impact on his team.

most importantly though, when it comes to overcoming their respective size disadvantages, I'd rather have the cocky american that has come up in north american hockey than the soft-spoken swede who's only played on the big ice. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/11/2018 at 7:34 AM, N7Nucks said:

You saying you would have been unhappy if Benning selected Boqvist with our pick? I mean, having any of Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, or Hughes would have made me incredibly happy. There is a lot to like about all 4 guys, and of course downsides to all 4 guys.

I like you if i remember correctly was huge on Bovqist. I still am. Funny thing I think him and Hughes will end up being the 2 most exciting D,s in the draft. I was hop[ing for Hughes. Just never imagined he would fall to us. If he gets a little bigger and starts to win more board battles Hughes is going to be a D that kids growing up model their game after. The way he can angle a player off and strip the puck is amazing. Bovqist im not sure how he will end up on D> He is for sure an adventure. One scout wrote in the Hockey news before the draft that if s team gets all of Adam to watch out. But he isn't sure if that will ever happen. 

I would have been fine with Smith over Dobson or especially Bouchard. We need that jump out of your seat type of guy. Who we def got in Q.

Anyone who thinks poorly of Adam is like Rob_Zepp said is a plastic fan.