The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

Gudbranson may fair the best, but with his recent injury history I hope he fights very little and only when absolutely necessary.

I am hopeful he has a huge and healthy year and becomes that legit 3 - 4 with size we could really use. 

Yeah, if he can avoid snapping his wrist on someone's face, that would probably be for the best. I agree completely. I think that's what he was aiming for last season. He purposely kept away from Tom Wilson during the game against the Capitals and only fought after Wilson mugged him.

The fight against Schaller was an interesting one. Guddy seemed to look upset that he hurt the kid, and it looked like he wasn't mentally in the fight.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, agree to disagree.  I think if player/coaches and trainers say he is read, he is ready.   

Absolutely.

I'm not saying one way or the other. Simply saying appeasing the fans and selling tickets should not even be a factor in their decision making.

It's about he next 15 years with him, not just next season.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, agree to disagree.  I think if player/coaches and trainers say he is read, he is ready.   

Hughes is ready.  If we send him back to college for another season, it’s only because JB doesn’t want Hughes to make us too good ... too soon.  

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, if he can avoid snapping his wrist on someone's face, that would probably be for the best. I agree completely. I think that's what he was aiming for last season. He purposely kept away from Tom Wilson during the game against the Capitals and only fought after Wilson mugged him.

The fight against Schaller was an interesting one. Guddy seemed to look upset that he hurt the kid, and it looked like he wasn't mentally in the fight.

I really like what he could bring to the team if he was healthy and had the right partner.

I genuinely believe he has high expectations for  himself.  In a word I think he really cares.  I am hoping for a positive year for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

I'm not saying one way or the other. Simply saying appeasing the fans and selling tickets should not even be a factor in their decision making.

It's about he next 15 years with him, not just next season.

I don't think anyone thinks differently within the organization (or within any professional sports organization).   That being said, players are often not mentally ready (see Edmonton) and that is an entirely different discussion.   

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a far better skater than Gaudreau.  

Debatable.

Gaudreau is also an elite stick handler who would have likely been drafted higher and played sooner in the NHL in the current climate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Debatable.

Gaudreau is also an elite stick handler who would have likely been drafted higher and played sooner in the NHL in the current climate.

Hughes is much faster, and far more dynamic.  

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think anyone thinks differently within the organization (or within any professional sports organization).   That being said, players are often not mentally ready (see Edmonton) and that is an entirely different discussion.   

Wouldn't be the first time a young player is rushed to build hype for the franchise.

Being physically and mentally ready are both just as important.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn't be the first time a young player is rushed to build hype for the franchise.

Being physically and mentally ready are both just as important.

I could see Guddy with Hughes.  Guddy would do all the heavy work, and free up pucks for Hughes.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom.  There will be no issues.  Orr started playing at 150.  

Maybe Hughes is ready but at the same time why even risk it? It’s not like he’s the final piece we need to be a Stanley Cup contender. Let the kid develop it’s not like playing in Michigan is going to hinder him from developing which playing in Vancouver at such a young age especially for a dman could very well hurt him in the long run.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I really like what he could bring to the team if he was healthy and had the right partner.

I think he found some excellent chemistry with Edler. Hopefully that pairing is kept together.

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I genuinely believe he has high expectations for  himself.  In a word I think he really cares.  I am hoping for a positive year for him.

I do too. He comes across as a straight shooter who doesn't mince words. I'm hoping that he has a great year as well, and I'm thinking he will.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I could see Guddy with Hughes.  Guddy would do all the heavy work, and free up pucks for Hughes.

Guddy might be better off with Edler, but I could see him being paired with Hughes if players were to take liberties with him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Maybe Hughes is ready but at the same time why even risk it? It’s not like he’s the final piece we need to be a Stanley Cup contender. Let the kid develop it’s not like playing in Michigan is going to hinder him from developing which playing in Vancouver at such a young age especially for a dman could very well hurt him in the long run.

I don’t think Hughes is being rushed.  He’s 19 in October.  He will be one of the best players in the league as soon as he sets foot on the ice.  Again, Hughes is a phenom.  Not since Orr have we seen such a player.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is much faster, and far more dynamic.  

If he's as godly as you say why hasn't he signed yet? I mean, management that has spent all year watching this kid, reading about him, learning everything there is to know about him I'd say knows him far better than some random feller on the interwebz. I don't think he's as sure fire of a NHLer next year as you think. I dunno. Just seems like massive overevaluation to claim Hughes as it stands now shreds Gaudreau in skating, puck handling etc.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Guddy might be better off with Edler, but I could see him being paired with Hughes if players were to take liberties with him.

True.  Tanev with Hughes would be a great pair too.  Heck, me on my scooter would do well with Hughes!  :frantic:

• Haha 1

IF Hughes were to sign a pro contract, I could definitely see management hanging onto Chris Tanev for the foreseeable future. Tanev has that stabilizing presence for his d-partner and hopefully a hungry and determined Hutton would fare well playing alongside him. Juolevi to Utica; Del Zotto and Pouliot in the press box.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

If he's as godly as you say why hasn't he signed yet? I mean, management that has spent all year watching this kid, reading about him, learning everything there is to know about him I'd say knows him far better than some random feller on the interwebz. I don't think he's as sure fire of a NHLer next year as you think. I dunno. Just seems like massive overevaluation to claim Hughes as it stands now shreds Gaudreau in skating, puck handling etc.

Hughes does skate better than Goudreau.  If he is not signed it’s because JB and TL think Hughes will make us too good too soon.  Those two want a fancy high pick at the draft in Vancouver.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1