The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Based on what objective standard?

image.png.8376251d24c97c0c2f14884c7fbb8cde.png

Girard played last year at 19, 5 months older than Hughes will be.  How many "big derailing hits" did he take?  Not only is he 10+lbs lighter, he came with not near the pedigree as a mid-2nd round pick.  He played but 6 games against men whereas Hughes had an entire year in the NCAA plus the World Championships, both against men.

because he's too small and can get derailed.

Just more people talking out of their asses. ignore em

19 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Roussell and Dorsett fought last year or the year before and I remember it being an energetic, sawoff...

I think they are pretty equal pugilist's....

Dorsett put him in his place. There is no way they are equal imo.

• Wat 1

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what i like about that video is Rousell willingly taking Dorsett on to move him out of the net. Hopefully that is what we get with Rousell, more of that. 

I expect we will. Based on how his former team's fans responded to his loss, I am thinking that his willingness to do whatever is necessary is not in short supply.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I expect we will. Based on how his former team's fans responded to his loss, I am thinking that his willingness to do whatever is necessary is not in short supply.

I didn't catch any of that coverage, good to hear they didn't like losing him. I did see that Boston fans were not pleased about losing Schaller, particularly to us. 

Rick Dhaliwal on 650 this morning said Hughes is expected to make a decision later on this week if he turning pro. If he decides to turn pro, do you think there will be some sort of gentlemens agreement that he sticks with the Canucks? I couldn't imagine him wanting to play in the AHL over returning the college.

4 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Rick Dhaliwal on 650 this morning said Hughes is expected to make a decision later on this week if he turning pro. If he decides to turn pro, do you think there will be some sort of gentlemens agreement that he sticks with the Canucks? I couldn't imagine him wanting to play in the AHL over returning the college.

you'd rather play hockey for free than get paid for it?

Atleast hes willing to go in there and mix it up. I agree Dorsett is the better fighter and Rousel probably knows that too but he still goes in and tosses him out the grease when he gets close to his tender. Thats what we call compete. I havent seen a canucks player clear the crease like that since Bieksa was on the squad

• Cheers 1

I wonder if the people saying Quinn Hughes is going to get injured because he’s small know that being 6’ 2” 220 pounds doesn’t make you injury proof?

seriously though, is there any quantitative data at all that correlates size and likelihood of injury? I’ve never seen one so either no one talks about it or it doesn’t exist

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

Atleast hes willing to go in there and mix it up. I agree Dorsett is the better fighter and Rousel probably knows that too but he still goes in and tosses him out the grease when he gets close to his tender. Thats what we call compete. I havent seen a canucks player clear the crease like that since Bieksa was on the squad

There were a few instances last season where Gudbranson sent a few pesky opposition forwards packing when they got to close to Markstrom. I distinctly remember Josh Anderson being on the receiving end of one during a game vs the Blue Jackets in Columbus.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't catch any of that coverage, good to hear they didn't like losing him. I did see that Boston fans were not pleased about losing Schaller, particularly to us. 

Someone posted a link to the Dallas Twitter feed after the signing. The responses to the Roussel loss were much like the CDC posts after the Dragonslayer trade (except he is significantly younger than Burr was, and they didn't get a Dahlen or any other asset in return.)

Lots of "No, say it isn't true!", "was always my favourite player", "always gave 110%", "I hate management now", "if my post doesn't make sense it's because I can't see my keyboard through my tears", "won't be the same without you but we're glad you are finally getting what you deserve, best of luck in Vancouver", etc.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I really doubt they'd gift him a spot. Does him no favors in the long run and sends a horrible message to our other prospects.

If he turns pro it comes with the possibility of going to Utica. Just because he starts the season in the AHL doesn't mean he's stuck there all year.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I wonder if the people saying Quinn Hughes is going to get injured because he’s small know that being 6’ 2” 220 pounds doesn’t make you injury proof?

seriously though, is there any quantitative data at all that correlates size and likelihood of injury? I’ve never seen one so either no one talks about it or it doesn’t exist

I'd say the ability to keep your head up is more important than size in that regard. Just ask Nathan Horton.

And even if you do get drilled, its not like your career is automatically over. If Toews can survive getting mitchell'd there's hope for everyone. It's a physical sport, you're going get hit. 

Edited by WonderTwinPowers
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I'd say the ability to keep your head up is more important than size in that regard. Just ask Nathan Horton.

And even if you do get drilled, its not like your career is automatically over. If Toews can survive getting mitchell'd there's hope for everyone. It's a physical sport, you're going get hit. 

Great point.

54 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

He said he is open to going pro, whether that be Utica or Vancouver. I don't think he's the type to force one situation. All the interviews I've watched he sounds open to pretty much all the options. Whether it be College, AHL or NHL (NHL being obvious everyone would be okay going to the NHL lol). He said he trusts what our management thinks is best and trusts the opinions of people close to him. Good kid, good head on his shoulders. 

• Like 1