The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Honestly, I think you arguing this point with people has been dialing things up.  Just my two cents though.  

Takes two people to tango. ;)

But you're right I'm done arguing about it. The only thing that matters to me is that they make the right decision with him when the time comes. Which I'm confident they will.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think management is leaning towards signing him based on what I've heard.

My only issue is that once you sign him to a pro contract, that Michigan option is out. So if they're on the fence about whether he's ready to turn pro or not, going back to the NCAA is not going to hurt his development. Lots of great players have gone back in their D+1 years and it seemed to benefit them alot.

I don't see the rush. I suspect another year of struggles so why not wait. After this season I think the Canucks trend upward in a hurry. 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My only issue is that once you sign him to a pro contract, that Michigan option is out. So if they're on the fence about whether he's ready to turn pro or not, going back to the NCAA is not going to hurt his development. Lots of great players have gone back in their D+1 years and it seemed to benefit them alot.

It might be ok if he goes back and forth between Utica and Vancouver. 

I think it depends on who will be with him down on the farm.  If the future youth movement can gain some chemistry, I wouldnt be completely opposed to it.

Whos a maybe between Canucks and Utica and who's a for sure Utica?

Utica

Maybe: Petterson (unlikely), Gaudette, Hughes, Goldobin, 

Likely: Lind, Jasek, Juolevi (numbers game until they move out Hutton, Pouliot,etc), Dahlen, Palmu, Gadjovich

That would be such a fun team to watch if they all went down

Edited by CanucksJay

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It might be ok if he goes back and forth between Utica and Vancouver. 

I think it depends on who will be with him down on the farm.  If the future youth movement can gain some chemistry, I wouldnt be completely opposed to it.

Whos a maybe between Canucks and Utica and who's a for sure Utica?

Utica

Maybe: Petterson (unlikely), Gaudette, Hughes, Goldobin, 

Likely: Lind, Jasek, Juolevi (numbers game until they move out Hutton, Pouliot,etc), Dahlen, Palmu

Add Gadjovich to that list, plus Brisebois and Motte if you consider them future players for us.

Would be good if we have a highly skilled Utica team, which they should. Also Ryan Johnson could keep a close eye on him there.

We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Add Gadjovich to that list, plus Brisebois and Motte if you consider them future players for us.

Would be good if we have a highly skilled Utica team, which they should. Also Ryan Johnson could keep a close eye on him there.

We'll see what happens.

Living in Calgary, maybe I'll forgo NHL Centre Ice and get the AHL Pass lol

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree, him going back to NCAA isn't a bad option, and I don't think it would hurt his overall development either. I'm trying to decide if being in Utica, playing a lot more games and getting to know his future teammates better would accelerate it at all. I don't think either one is a bad option though.

Another year in the NCAA is most likely the best path for Hughes this year. Both Werenski and McAvoy went back to college for a year after being drafted despite being considerably bigger and stronger than Hughes while still being above average skaters (Werenski was 6'2 and 205 pounds and drafted at 17 and McAvoy was 6'0 and 200 pounds). Those two players are very comparable to Hughes in terms of production in the NCAA. If they can go back for a year, then there's really no reason Hughes can't do the same. He can sign at the end of the year like those two players did (and guys like Boeser and Gaudette as well) or, if that's not available, he can sign an AHL deal to play with Utica for the rest of the year like Ottawa did with White. 

There's not much for him to gain by playing in the NHL next year even though he would hold his own. He would most likely have a good first half of the year and then slow down for the second half like most players coming from the NCAA do (Boeser, Hutton and Stetcher all experienced that just on the Canucks). Dealing with that transition at age 20 coming off a very good sophomore season in college would make it a bit easier. That's not a major point, but it's something. Hughes would have a chance to be a truly elite NCAA defenseman next year and learn to deal with extra minutes, different situations and being targeted more by other teams. In order to develop an elite defenseman, you have to let him learn to play elite minutes, which Hughes can do next year in the NCAA. If he were to be in the NHL, he'd play sheltered minutes and not be in a position to learn to play those hard minutes. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Rick Dhaliwal on 650 this morning said Hughes is expected to make a decision later on this week if he turning pro. If he decides to turn pro, do you think there will be some sort of gentlemens agreement that he sticks with the Canucks? I couldn't imagine him wanting to play in the AHL over returning the college.

Hughes has said if he has to play in the AHL then that is what he will do. I don't think he will have issues with that.

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Another year in the NCAA is most likely the best path for Hughes this year. Both Werenski and McAvoy went back to college for a year after being drafted despite being considerably bigger and stronger than Hughes while still being above average skaters (Werenski was 6'2 and 205 pounds and drafted at 17 and McAvoy was 6'0 and 200 pounds). Those two players are very comparable to Hughes in terms of production in the NCAA. If they can go back for a year, then there's really no reason Hughes can't do the same. He can sign at the end of the year like those two players did (and guys like Boeser and Gaudette as well) or, if that's not available, he can sign an AHL deal to play with Utica for the rest of the year like Ottawa did with White. 

There's not much for him to gain by playing in the NHL next year even though he would hold his own. He would most likely have a good first half of the year and then slow down for the second half like most players coming from the NCAA do (Boeser, Hutton and Stetcher all experienced that just on the Canucks). Dealing with that transition at age 20 coming off a very good sophomore season in college would make it a bit easier. That's not a major point, but it's something. Hughes would have a chance to be a truly elite NCAA defenseman next year and learn to deal with extra minutes, different situations and being targeted more by other teams. In order to develop an elite defenseman, you have to let him learn to play elite minutes, which Hughes can do next year in the NCAA. If he were to be in the NHL, he'd play sheltered minutes and not be in a position to learn to play those hard minutes. 

I believe QH was already playing those elite minutes you talk about on Michigan.  He was their #1 D-man playing in all situations.  What he would learn in the NHL is the time it takes to make decisions (since you have to make them quicker in the NHL).  He won't get that experience playing in the minors or in college.  I would be all for him going back to college if he wasn't a good defensemen, but from what I've heard, he's a smart player defensively as well as offensively.  Only thing he gains playing in college is playing with his brother for a "fun" season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I hope Quinn shows well and makes the team out of camp. But it would be foolish not to think that there is a higher risk of injury when a d-man is 5'10 (at best) weighing a buck seventy and only 18 years old.

Look at the Canucks man games lost on defence. The way we play, we take a beating on the blue line. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The position definitely is a huge factor though. The risks a D-man takes going back for the puck is much higher than a forwards. Not to mention the strength needed to win puck battles.

I'm sure he'll be fine when he's strong enough. The only question is will he be strong enough next season?

Time will tell.

He's not just your regular 18yo 170lbs dman. He's an elite skating dman with an insanely high IQ, and it's these qualities that keep him from being vulnerable from hits so big that he'd get injured.

24 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I believe QH was already playing those elite minutes you talk about on Michigan.  He was their #1 D-man playing in all situations.  What he would learn in the NHL is the time it takes to make decisions (since you have to make them quicker in the NHL).  He won't get that experience playing in the minors or in college.  I would be all for him going back to college if he wasn't a good defensemen, but from what I've heard, he's a smart player defensively as well as offensively.  Only thing he gains playing in college is playing with his brother for a "fun" season.

How much did you watch Hughes play this past year? How long have you been following his progression?

He did play pretty good minutes this past year, but he wasn't a lock to play in all situations the same way someone like Keith is. He played a lot on the powerplay and was used somewhat offensively 5 on 5 with occasional shifts holding leads and killing penalties. If he goes back this upcoming year, he could play just as much shorthanded as he does on the powerplay. He could progress his defensive game to the point where he could be an all situations 1D like Kieth as opposed to an offensive 1D like Subban.

I get what you're saying about making decisions quicker and you're right, but he could be put in more situations to learn that on the defensive side of the game in college, which he needs to work on more than his offensive decision making. Learning how to dominate a game defensively (again, like a Keith) instead of just being good will make him that much more valuable to us in the long run. That's what it's all about, making sure he's the best possible player 3,5,7,10 years from now.

Even without all that, letting him play with his brother for a year in the NCAA and WJC when they will likely never get the chance again outside of the Olympics/World Cup instead of AHL/limited NHL minutes is no small act of goodwill from the Canucks. I'm sure the entire Hughes family would appreciate the gesture and it would add more faith in the organization. 

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

How much did you watch Hughes play this past year? How long have you been following his progression?

He did play pretty good minutes this past year, but he wasn't a lock to play in all situations the same way someone like Keith is. He played a lot on the powerplay and was used somewhat offensively 5 on 5 with occasional shifts holding leads and killing penalties. If he goes back this upcoming year, he could play just as much shorthanded as he does on the powerplay. He could progress his defensive game to the point where he could be an all situations 1D like Kieth as opposed to an offensive 1D like Subban.

I get what you're saying about making decisions quicker and you're right, but he could be put in more situations to learn that on the defensive side of the game in college, which he needs to work on more than his offensive decision making. Learning how to dominate a game defensively (again, like a Keith) instead of just being good will make him that much more valuable to us in the long run. That's what it's all about, making sure he's the best possible player 3,5,7,10 years from now.

Even without all that, letting him play with his brother for a year in the NCAA and WJC when they will likely never get the chance again outside of the Olympics/World Cup instead of AHL/limited NHL minutes is no small act of goodwill from the Canucks. I'm sure the entire Hughes family would appreciate the gesture and it would add more faith in the organization. 

From what I read, he was put on in the end of games to defend leads in Michigan.  I also heard that the team basically changed their whole playing scheme because of him.  Based off of what I read, I can say he played in all situations.  He was also put in a top 4 role on team US by the end of the tournament in the World Championships.  He got scored on only once in the whole tournament, by Korea of all teams.  He's a cerebral player, and that is how he will be defending.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn't be the first time a young player is rushed to build hype for the franchise.

Being physically and mentally ready are both just as important.

Vancouver has not done this much (Virtanen I would argue was) but under Green, the opposite seems to be approach...even Boeser sat the first two games last year.    I don't see it as a risk with this Vancouver team to be honest.   If he plays, he will be ready.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He's not just your regular 18yo 170lbs dman. He's an elite skating dman with an insanely high IQ, and it's these qualities that keep him from being vulnerable from hits so big that he'd get injured.

I've seen lots of players with elite skating and high IQ still need another year of development.

It's not a knock on him it's just the reality of making the jump to the NHL. You need more than just skating and hockey IQ. He's going to need to seriously work on his strength an conditioning. The NHL is not like college where you get a week off between games. You have to be ready to go every day.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I've seen lots of players with elite skating and high IQ still need another year of development.

It's not a knock on him it's just the reality of making the jump to the NHL. You need more than just skating and hockey IQ. He's going to need to seriously work on his strength an conditioning. The NHL is not like college where you get a week off between games. You have to be ready to go every day.

DeNiro - this seems to concern you greatly and clearly you don't think he is ready.   Right?   So, why not wait and find out what decision he makes with team approval, coach input, trainer input etc. and if it is wrong one, in your eyes, someone right this wrong.   And, no, you don't need more than just skating and hockey IQ to start in the NHL - there are literally dozens of examples of kids having exactly just that who started their careers in the NHL.   If he is mentally prepared for the grind, to me that is the question.   The other stuff is a non-issue if he feels he is ready and that is endorsed by the trainers/coaches.    What you cannot measure is mental outlook.   That will be the key.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And don't forget the parties in between... ::D

• Cheers 1

Quinn Hughes as a 17 year old - 5'10, 175 

2017-18 6.png Univ. of Michigan NCAA 37 5 24 29 PIM26 +14

Troy Stecher as a 22 year old - 5'10, 180  

2015-16 6.png Univ. of North Dakota “A” NCAA 43 8 21 29 PIM37 +26

Unless you think we should send Stecher back to North Dakota for a fifth season... there isn't really a reason Hughes shouldn't turn pro. 

Edited by NHL'er
* 29 points in 37 games vs 29 points in 43 games.
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

DeNiro - this seems to concern you greatly and clearly you don't think he is ready.   Right?   So, why not wait and find out what decision he makes with team approval, coach input, trainer input etc. and if it is wrong one, in your eyes, someone right this wrong.   And, no, you don't need more than just skating and hockey IQ to start in the NHL - there are literally dozens of examples of kids having exactly just that who started their careers in the NHL.   If he is mentally prepared for the grind, to me that is the question.   The other stuff is a non-issue if he feels he is ready and that is endorsed by the trainers/coaches.    What you cannot measure is mental outlook.   That will be the key.

It actually doesn't concern me at all. I'm pretty confident the right decision will be made.

Just tempering peoples expectations that seem to think he's a lock for NHL next season. If he isn't ready there's no shame in it, and it shouldn't mean he's any less special of a player.

I've seen and been part of the hype game enough times now to know that you can't get too high or low on a player. I used to think Nicklas Jensen was going to be a top 6 forward for us, and he had almost all the tools a player needs. It only takes one to be missing for them to never make the jump though.

• Upvote 4