The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes does skate better than Goudreau.  If he is not signed it’s because JB and TL think Hughes will make us too good too soon.  Those two want a fancy high pick at the draft in Vancouver.

I seriously doubt they want us to drop 3 spots in another draft lottery rather than show fans the team is getting better. Hardcores see light at the end of the tunnel, but casual fans see us bottom out again they aren't gonna keep showing up/supporting. There are no downsides to having a guy, as talented as you claim, on the roster next season.

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gaudreau spent 3 years in college, entered the league at 21.

Spurgeon entered the league in his D+3 season, at 21.

Gerbe spent 3 years in college, 2 years in the AHL, and entered the league at 23.

See the pattern?

We're talking about an 18 year old. Strength is always an issue with smaller players like this.

Yeah, the two patterns are that they were all late round picks that hadn't played (and already succeeded) against men, and that Hughes is bigger than all of them.  If strength is "always an issue" then how did Patrick Kane walk into the league at 18 and put up 72 points?  We're talking high-end prospects here, not tiny late-round gambles.

Cookie cutters do not apply.  Enough of the hand-wringing.  If he's ready, as determined by him, his family and advisor, and the team, he goes pro and almost certainly makes the NHL next year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, the two patterns are that they were all late round picks that hadn't played (and already succeeded) against men, and that Hughes is bigger than all of them.  If strength is "always an issue" then how did Patrick Kane walk into the league at 18 and put up 72 points?  We're talking high-end prospects here, not tiny late-round gambles.

Cookie cutters do not apply.  Enough of the hand-wringing.  If he's ready, as determined by him, his family and advisor, and the team, he goes pro and almost certainly makes the NHL next year.

Do you really want to compare him to Patrick Kane? That's kind of a silly comparison, especially when we're comparing a forward to a defenseman.

As for being later round picks, had Gaudreau been drafted in 2018 rather than 2011 he probably would have been a top 10 pick. Times have changed quite a bit. Back then the "big bad Bruins" had just won the cup.

Of course if it's determined he's ready he'll make it, that goes without saying. Don't be surprised if he isn't though. It wouldn't mean he's a bad prospect. it would just mean he's 18 and needs more time. There's no hand wringing going on, just a dose of reality. Just because fans have determined he's ready doesn't mean it's true.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

IF Hughes were to sign a pro contract, I could definitely see management hanging onto Chris Tanev for the foreseeable future. Tanev has that stabilizing presence for his d-partner and hopefully a hungry and determined Hutton would fare well playing alongside him. Juolevi to Utica; Del Zotto and Pouliot in the press box.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

That may work.  I personally would like to see:

Edler - Gudbranson

Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Pouliot - Biega

Not to start the year but perhaps by the trade deadline if Del Zotto and Hutton can be moved.  If Hutton can outplay Pouliot so be it.  I don't think Edler will be moved (waive).  I could actually see him sign an extension.

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Do you really want to compare him to Patrick Kane? That's kind of a silly comparison, especially when we're comparing a forward to a defenseman.

As for being later round picks, had Gaudreau been drafted in 2018 rather than 2011 he probably would have been a top 10 pick. Times have changed quite a bit. Back then the "big bad Bruins" had just won the cup.

Of course if it's determined he's ready he'll make it, that goes without saying. Don't be surprised if he isn't though. It wouldn't mean he's a bad prospect. it would just mean he's 18 and needs more time. There's no hand wringing going on, just a dose of reality. Just because fans have determined he's ready doesn't mean it's true.

I dunno why but remember this hit during Kane's rookie season? 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

People, including pundits, do compare him to PK,  the only difference being he's a dman. There's a reason why they sat together at the world's too - they're very similar players.

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I dunno why but remember this hit during Kane's rookie season? 

Great example of a tiny guy getting hit in his rookie season and then never playing again :D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

People, including pundits, do compare him to PK,  the only difference being he's a dman. There's a reason why they sat together at the world's too - they're very similar players.

Great example of a tiny guy getting hit in his rookie season and then never playing again :D

The only difference being a BIG difference. 

D-men take a much bigger beating throughout the course of the season, especially on a team that doesn't have very good possession numbers. They're constantly having to go back and get the puck while getting run by forecheckers.

As for that hit, it looks worse than it is. It was shoulder to shoulder and had no real impact into anything. The only thing that clip proves is that this team misses a player like Kesler.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Highly doubtful.  Not only his size but the fact he was committed to college would have dropped his position, same as it did for Hutton and Rathbone.

Fans have nothing to do with it.  He believes he's ready, Canucks believe he's ready, both want him to turn pro.  If he's ultimately not ready that's fine, but this constant "not big or strong enough" broadbrush is tired and stale because it does not apply to every single prospect and it is only one aspect of development.  Did Girard suddenly get "big and strong enough"?  Do you really think Benning is going to throw his prized dman in when he's not ready for it and risk this nuclear annihilation that the armchair development expertz are declaring that is absolutely inevitable?

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

D-men take a much bigger beating throughout the course of the season, especially on a team that doesn't have very good possession numbers. They're constantly having to go back and get the puck while getting run by forecheckers.

As for that hit, it looks worse than it is. It was shoulder to shoulder and had no real impact into anything. The only thing that clip proves is that this team misses a player like Kesler.

I think you're missing the point, tho. The type, not the position, of player makes a huge difference, in that Hughes is fast and shifty, which is extremely hard for players to be physical against. Like Kane, QH creates space for himself to the point where players are stand offish with him because they're worried about being beat. He'll be just fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I hope Quinn shows well and makes the team out of camp. But it would be foolish not to think that there is a higher risk of injury when a d-man is 5'10 (at best) weighing a buck seventy and only 18 years old.

Look at the Canucks man games lost on defence. The way we play, we take a beating on the blue line. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Highly doubtful.  Not only his size but the fact he was committed to college would have dropped his position, same as it did for Hutton and Rathbone.

Fans have nothing to do with it.  He believes he's ready, Canucks believe he's ready, both want him to turn pro.  If he's ultimately not ready that's fine, but this constant "not big or strong enough" broadbrush is tired and stale because it does not apply to every single prospect and it is only one aspect of development.  Did Girard suddenly get "big and strong enough"?  Do you really think Benning is going to throw his prized dman in when he's not ready for it and risk this nuclear annihilation that the armchair development expertz are declaring that is absolutely inevitable?

Again the climate has changed. Players being committed to college doesn't hurt their stock like it used to. See Clayton Keller. 

Hutton and Rathbone were drafted where they were because their skills were quite raw. (And Rathbone was still playing highschool hockey).

You're repeating exactly my point. Fans have nothing to do with it. So making conclusions one way or the other means nothing. I'm responding to the people saying that he's skilled enough to play in the NHL, by providing examples of skilled players that needed more strength training and development.

Hughes not playing in the NHL next season would be going with the odds, not against them. Defensemen taken outside of the top 3 often do not play in the NHL in their D+1 season. That's just facts.

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're missing the point, tho. The type, not the position, of player makes a huge difference, in that Hughes is fast and shifty, which is extremely hard for players to be physical against. Like Kane, QH creates space for himself to the point where players are stand offish with him because they're worried about being beat. He'll be just fine.

The position definitely is a huge factor though. The risks a D-man takes going back for the puck is much higher than a forwards. Not to mention the strength needed to win puck battles.

I'm sure he'll be fine when he's strong enough. The only question is will he be strong enough next season?

Time will tell.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I hope Quinn shows well and makes the team out of camp. But it would be foolish not to think that there is a higher risk of injury when a d-man is 5'10 (at best) weighing a buck seventy and only 18 years old.

Look at the Canucks man games lost on defence. The way we play, we take a beating on the blue line. 

Yea, I don't really know why I'm having to argue this.

I know people are hyped for him and want him to make it, but lets dial it back a bit.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea, I don't really know why I'm having to argue this.

I know people are hyped for him and want him to make it, but lets dial it back a bit.

Honestly, I think you arguing this point with people has been dialing things up.  Just my two cents though.  

• Thanks 1

cut.jpg

Vancouver- Quintin Hughes believes he is ready to play for the Vancouver Canucks.

Hughes, who was selected by the Canucks with the No. 7 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, possesses a strong skating ability and puck skills and was the youngest player at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, where he had two assists in 10 games, winning a bronze medal with the United States. Combine that experience with the comfort from skating with NHL players like John Tavares and Connor McDavid at Power Edge Pro summer camps in Toronto, and it's no wonder Hughes feels good about making the NHL.

"Playing against those guys built my confidence," Hughes said. "But I had a lot going in.

"I am a pretty confident kid and I am very confident in my abilities so obviously I want to believe I can play in the NHL. But I know it's a really hard League. It's the best League in the world and not a lot of 18-year-olds come in, especially defensemen, and play."

The Canucks think Hughes can be one of those players and general manager Jim Benning said on the eve of the team's development camp he would like to sign Hughes this summer.

"I feel he is an NHL skater already," Benning said. "He is still going to have to put in some work this summer to get physically stronger to play at the NHL level, but how smart he is and what a great skater he is, I think he has a chance."

Canucks director of player development Ryan Johnson isn't worried about Hughes' (5-foot-10, 173 pounds) strength.

"I don't think he's as far off," Johnson said. "Obviously, we want him to get stronger, but the way he plays the game and the hockey sense he has, he is not a player we need to bulk up. There will be some things we will work on the defensive side of the game, but the kid is incredibly willing, he's motivated and he's a sponge to anything that we are going to throw at him."

Johnson saw Hughes a lot last season while watching University of Michigan teammate William Lockwood, who was selected by the Canucks in the third round (No. 64) in the 2016 NHL Draft. As the youngest player in NCAA, Hughes had 29 points (five goals, 24 assists) in 37 games, setting a school record for assists by a freshman defenseman as Michigan advanced to the Frozen Four.

"He changes the course of a game because he's got an elite, elite level of skating," Johnson said.

That skating also helps Hughes, who turns 19 on Oct. 14, overcome defensive concerns based on his size.

"It's something I have tried to work on because I know people try to pick at it," Hughes said.

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think Hughes is being rushed.  He’s 19 in October.  He will be one of the best players in the league as soon as he sets foot on the ice.  Again, Hughes is a phenom.  Not since Orr have we seen such a player.  

Omg Alf. Love reading your quotes but I think you have eclipsed Apollo for positivity.  I feel you are settimg yourself up for dissapointment

• Haha 1

Really on the fence on signing him this summer. I'm not 100% sure that he's ready physically, to play in the NHL, but at the same time, I'm not sure that he might not benefit from spending a year in Utica, getting to know the other players who will form the new core of this team and playing a lot of minutes and a lot more games than he would at the college level.

From the article posted, sounds like JB thinks its a good idea to sign him, and I trust his overall judgement.

• Upvote 1