The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I am quite suprised Raphaël Lavoie isn't mentioned more in this thread. To me his stats are very appealing, especially during playoffs!

Actually he has better playoffs stats than Pierre-Luc Dubois. I'm not saying he will be the same player as Dubois is, but to me he fills a lot of what we need: big scoring winger.

Have some of you ever watched the kid play live? What are your impressions?

32 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely interested in buying low on Puljujarvi but not at the expense of Lucic's contract.  I truly feel there is a fit for both teams on a salary retained Sutter (Truly what they need) + mid pick (4th?) for Puljujarvi.  If we did that we essentially get a high pick winger nearly ready to contribute and could then draft a D like Broberg.

Not sold on Broberg (I think he's more a late teens pick) but otherwise, yes to the rest.

I'd want some guarantee that JP wasn't signing back in Finland this season though.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SwissCanucks said:

I am quite suprised Raphaël Lavoie isn't mentioned more in this thread. To me his stats are very appealing, especially during playoffs!

Actually he has better playoffs stats than Pierre-Luc Dubois. I'm not saying he will be the same player as Dubois is, but to me he fills a lot of what we need: big scoring winger.

Have some of you ever watched the kid play live? What are your impressions?

I watched a few regular season games and wasn’t impressed.

He looked slow and sluggish to me.

his regular season numbers were disappointing to me considering he’s older, bigger and was suppose to be ripping the league up. 

This playoffs hes our up the numbers that was expected in the regular season. I

havemt watched a playoff game of his tbh but from what I saw in the regular season and what will be available at 10. Id much rather take a player that has performed all year long, is younger, a better skater and has a higher ceiling:

newhook and krebs

boldy and zegras

This U18 Tourney solidified my position on Krebs but it has  Newhook stealing my attention as it confirmed he is a player. I’d be very happy taking either of them at 10. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

his regular season numbers were disappointing to me considering he’s older, bigger and was suppose to be ripping the league up. 

havemt watched a playoff game of his tbh but from what I saw in the regular season and what will be available at 10. Id much rather take a player that has performed all year long, is younger, a better skater and has a higher ceiling:

newhook and krebs

boldy and zegras

This U18 Tourney solidified my position on Krebs but it has  Newhook stealing my attention as it confirmed he is a player. I’d be very happy taking either of them at 10. 

I want Krebs to play with Bo so bad, I think they would be perfect line mates and Horvat would be a great mentor.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, l King l 94 l said:

Rangers draft list:

1st - Kakko

2nd - Byram

3rd - Hughes

Imagine if New Jersey takes Kakko and the rangers take their 2nd BPA in Byram leaving Hughes to Chicago..

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ed-willes-the-canucks-have-improved-but-not-enough-compared-with-other-contenders/amp#click=https://t.co/jpkTi7csIA

I saw this before as well, curious what his source is with the Rangers. Willes just lists off the Rangers draft board with nothing backing it, I cant picture any team not having Hughes in their top two after what he did at the U18. He should be at #1 on every teams list unless Kakko does something crazy at the Worlds

My Opinion:

1st Line / 1st Pairing - Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Byram, Broberg, Soderstrom

2nd line / 2nd Pairing - Cozens, Krebs, Zegras, Caufield, Newhook, Pellettier, Suzuki, Kaliyev, Lavoie, York, Harley, Bjornfot, Seider

3rd LIne / 3rd Pairing - Boldy, Brink, Beecher, Grewe, Heinola, Vlasic, McCarthy, Thomson, Korczak

8 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

I saw this before as well, curious what his source is with the Rangers. Willes just lists off the Rangers draft board with nothing backing it, I cant picture any team not having Hughes in their top two after what he did at the U18. He should be at #1 on every teams list unless Kakko does something crazy at the Worlds

Seems like a tactic to get Hughes to drop if anything, why would the rangers leak their rankings.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Willes doesn't know what he's talking about. Hughes is going #1 because he's the best player, period. If NJ passes on him, they're complete idiots. I'm sure they're not. Maybe the Rangers pass on Kakko to take the D? Doesn't matter though, it won't affect the Canucks. CHI will just take Kakko at #3, and so on.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Willes doesn't know what he's talking about. Hughes is going #1 because he's the best player, period. If NJ passes on him, they're complete idiots. I'm sure they're not. Maybe the Rangers pass on Kakko to take the D? Doesn't matter though, it won't affect the Canucks. CHI will just take Kakko at #3, and so on.  

Agree 110%.  Hughes is BY FAR the guy who will be the most impactful NHL player from this draft, much like his brother was last draft.  

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

newhook and krebs

boldy and zegras

Thanks for your quality feedback. I have to say I never saw him play live and I haven't payed attention to his age before. So thanks for pointing this out to me.

But still his playoffs numbers are very impressive. And you can work on your skating, see with Bo. (But not everyone has the same workethic than Bo, I agree ;) )

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

newhook and krebs

boldy and zegras

You and I seem to be watching a different player I thought Lavoie skated very well for a kid his size. I'm with you though I want Krebs or Newhook.

Edited by hammertime

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not sold on Broberg (I think he's more a late teens pick) but otherwise, yes to the rest.

I'd want some guarantee that JP wasn't signing back in Finland this season though.

Same. There is a reason why hes ranked either the mid teens and with him being the 3rd or even 4th best dman in this draft. Scouts have seen him all year long, so no, 10th will be too high.

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Same. There is a reason why hes ranked either the mid teens and with him being the 3rd or even 4th best dman in this draft. Scouts have seen him all year long, so no, 10th will be too high.

Yup, I'd rather Seider, Sodertsom or York if we're picking a D and even then, they're likely more 10-15 range picks than 10 OA. Chances are overwhelmingly that we get a F this draft IMO.

27 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

When Bobby Mac did his NHL scout poll in Jan, one scount had him as high as 4th overall and one as low as 23rd. So there doesnt seem to be a consensus on him. I do think the U18 tourny did raise his stock a bit. 

For me it depends how our scouts view his Hockey IQ, if they think its not great then they need to stay away. If his IQ is very high and its just his hands that need some work, I would be ok rolling the dice. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, I'd rather Seider, Sodertsom or York if we're picking a D and even then, they're likely more 10-15 range picks than 10 OA. Chances are overwhelmingly that we get a F this draft IMO.

Wouldn’t make sense to draft 3 d in our past 4 drafts with our top 10 picks unless we have a game breaking offensive dman there.  Why are we drafting another juolevi level depth dman ?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Wouldn’t make sense to draft 3 d in our past 4 drafts with our top 10 picks unless we have a game breaking offensive dman there.  Why are we drafting another juolevi level depth dman ?

I mean if we'd won 3rd OA in the lotto I'd happily walk away with Byram on D from this draft but there's just too many good forwards ranked 4-10'ish, one of whom will be around at our pick (maybe even a few of whom, if some other teams have different lists, as happened last year).

Our choice of 2-3 forwards we had ranked top 10 or a D we had ranked closer to 10th... 

There's always the chance the Cnaucks scouting staff has one of the next D ranked at 7/8/9 or something as well I suppose but if I'm playing the odds, my money would be on a forward.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

You and I seem to be watching a different player I thought Lavoie skated very well for a kid his size. I'm with you though I want Krebs or Newhook.

Haha well it happens maybe he skated better the games you saw. Kind of like how we saw Krebs differently throughout the year, 

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Whose BPA? Also who is BPA? Then also, who will be BPA?

It's not as straight forward as some suggest.

I think in this case people are saying BPA in reference to the forward depth. From early on people have been saying this draft is light on defence and that might force them to get drafted higher than they should. We have needs at both wing and defence but IMO this year is a year to try to add some offensive talent to our lineup.

• Upvote 1