The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, The Bookie said:

I know it's heresy to suggest anything other than BPA these days but I keep looking at the gaping hole at the 1st line LW spot and thinking we need to fill that sooner than later. It's quietly been our weakest position for well on a decade now but was always masked by the presence of Daniel Sedin.

Ouch!

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-13379/daniel-sedin-wins-the-1011-ted-lindsay-award

• Thanks 1

The more I learn about this draft class, the more I'm liking Alex Newhook. Sure, he's playing in a lower tier league, but he's absolutely destroying it, and did very well for himself in the Worlds too. And of course I still like Boldy as well. Perfect guy to compliment Petey and Boes.

I was almost sold on Caufield, but his small stature coupled with his lack of speed worries me. Also, assuming he'd eventually play on Bo's right side, I don't know if they're a great fit. Cauliflower seems like the type of guy that needs a real great playmaking center to set him up, and I don't know if Bo is that guy. 

Krebs might be another nice option to eventually slot in on Petey's left side, but considering his style is pretty comparable to Bo, would that end up being somewhat redundant?

Right now I'm liking Boldy and Newhook. Also pretty intrigued by Zegras. Not totally sold on either defender. Broberg had himself one helluva World tournament, but I don't know exactly how much stock to put into these types of tournaments. We've seen guys like Mittelstadt absolutely light up these types of tournaments, only to fizzle once the hit the NHL. By contrast, Pettersson has always been somewhat mediocre in these types of tournaments, and...well.... Still, it most certainly doesn't hurt his stock, but I worry about is supposed "lack of hockey IQ". Soderstrom sounds like a safer bet, but the pick honestly just screams "meh" to me. I'd much rather take one of the forwards this time around.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'd like to see our pick packaged with someone like Hutton and/or Sutter and see if we can move up a few spots to snag Cozens or Dach.

I'd like to see Sutter, with 50% retention packaged with another piece (TBD) for EDM's 8th OA and pick at 8 and 10.

Edited by aGENT

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd like to see Sutter, with 50% retention packaged with another piece (TBD) for EDM's 8th OA and pick at 8 and 10.

We're eating Lucic then.  There's no way around it.

You'd be looking at say, our 2nd or 3rd, Sutter at 50% for lucic straight across and their 8th

Minimum.  Probably have to throw a prospect in there too.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

We're eating Lucic then.  There's no way around it.

You'd be looking at say, our 2nd or 3rd, Sutter at 50% for lucic straight across and their 8th

Minimum.  Probably have to throw a prospect in there too.

No Lucic. I wouldn't take on that contract for 8th OA alone.

I'd certainly consider Sutter @ 50%, our 2nd and another piece though.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

From recent drafts the closest comparison is probably Sergachev. 

Or Chychurn

22 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Is Caulfield's top end projection like a Phil Kessel type player ? 

Not as fast, and prob not as good a playmaker.

Its been said so often, but DeBrincat is probably the best comparable.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No Lucic. I wouldn't take on that contract for 8th OA alone.

I'd certainly consider Sutter @ 50%, our 2nd and another piece though.

that would be a great deal for both. Despite Sutter being criminally under-rated here and in our media, he would allow EDM to make some much needed line changes. And there isn't a free agent shut down C that even comes close to his ability at just over 2 mil per. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be a great deal for both. Despite Sutter being criminally under-rated here and in our media, he would allow EDM to make some much needed line changes. And there isn't a free agent shut down C that even comes close to his ability at just over 2 mil per. 

He's EXACTLY what they need. Depend on how desperate they are to actually try to make playoffs though.

@Warhippy I might even consider our 2020 1st....

Edited by aGENT

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Or Chychurn

Not as fast, and prob not as good a playmaker.

Its been said so often, but DeBrincat is probably the best comparable.

Yeah I have seen that comparable a lot but I am trying to think of an older more established comparable 

That being said.... nobody wants to miss out on the next DeBrincat as he just scored 40+ goals as 21 year old lol

Can we ever have enough snipers ? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree, although it is likely that Sutt's NTC includes Edm as a team he can't be traded to. 

Edm could use more cap space

How 'bout Kris Russell cap dump 2yrs/ $4m and B. Manning (buried) 1yr/ 1.75m  Total  5.175m

LD still on ELC not named Juolevi.  They would probably pick Brisbois or Sautner

2nd round pick.