The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

Some of those guys you mentioned went back to college or overseas. Throw in the fact that many on that list were underwhelming to start their careers. Just shows a guy at 5th 7th or 21st, can be better there the first year in the NHL than guys drafted in the top 3. Even Mack took a while to put it all together. kot was really not that special and was benched for the last part of the season. Miro had 33 points and the worst analytics on his team.  Tho he will get better, But at this point Makar all the way. Nico and Patrick have done nothing to warrant their draft picks. Larkin Charlie went back to college. Aho went back to Europe I believe. Mark didn't make it his first year. and the older players you mentioned are all first ballot HOFS  Not one of our elite guys you mentioned went straight to the NHL. Not sure this post was very accurate. I could make a list of guys like Barzel Point Bo ETC who were picked higher who made the jump. Unless you have a Crosby or McDavid its a crapshoot. 

If you actually followed the topic, The point was that they NEVER played in AHL...

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

One of Harley, York, Soderstrom, or Broberg could be ranked in Canucks top 10. But hopefully some teams go off the board and a top 6-7 ranked player on the Canucks list drop to us.  

Well exactly, even if the Canucks have one of Soderstrom/Seider/Harley/York/Broberg at say 9 or 10 (which is a long shot itself IMO), what do you think the chances of another team taking someone they have ranked lower, going ahead of us and bumping a forward they have ranked 8th or better to us? Pretty high IMO.

I'm like 99.9% we're taking a forward.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If he became a Canuck, he would be exposed during the expansion draft in his final year under contract. He doesn't have a NMC.

So why did you say we'd protect him?

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So why did you say we'd protect him?

Wouldn't they though? He would probably still be worth quite a bit at the 2022 TDL.

I watched some Podkolzin video last night, and well, I don't think he drops to #10. The guy is a stud, and with that blend of size, speed, hands, physicality, shot, hockey IQ - he's the complete package. His only real knock is he's Russian. Most other teams don't have issues with Russian players, so I don't expect him to fall that far. I would love to get him though. This year, I hope we don't play it safe. Take a chance on Podkolzin, Caufield, or Seider.

Speaking of Seider, he's ranked lower than #10 (but that doesn't really mean anything). Someone made a suggestion yesterday saying they think the Canucks should trade down a few spots, and then acquire another high 2nd, and a prospect. If they had, say, the #14 or #15, they could draft Seider, and then with the two 2nds, could go after a couple of forwards (Grewe, Beecher, Rees, Lagare, Puistola, etc.) That's an interesting idea.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't they though? He would probably still be worth quite a bit at the 2022 TDL.

An expiring, mid 30's, $9m D? Even if he's still a pretty capable 2nd pair guy at that point, I doubt SEA takes him.

Similar deal to Edler. They're not going to be gung ho for an expiring mid 30's, $6m Edler either.

And if they miraculously do claim one... We clear cap space.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't see it.

Our 2nd, plus... ? Maybe.

Our 2020 1st (lottery protected)? Maybe.

Our 2019 10th  OA at the home town draft..... don't see it.

Besides, I doubt Nashville is looking for futures.

I agree.  If they move Subban, it has to be for a roster player as the centrepiece.  I don;t think they are interested in a 2020 pick, and there is no way we give up our 1st when the draft is in our rink.

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I agree.  If they move Subban, it has to be for a roster player as the centrepiece.  I don;t think they are interested in a 2020 pick, and there is no way we give up our 1st when the draft is in our rink.

Yup, they just moved Fiala for Granlund because the didn't want to wait for him to mature. What the hell do they want with 2019 or 2020 picks who won't even likely be on the team for another 2-4+ years!?

They've got Fabbro to fill Subban's spot and need a legit top 6 F in trade for PK. We don't exactly have a surplus of those...

As much as I'd happily add Subban, we're poor trade partners with Nashville. I suppose there's the possibility for a 3 way trade or similar but it's not terribly likely IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

In reference to Pettersson playing his draft eligible year in the Allsvenskan. I think its definitely a credit to Soderstrom that he was able to play in the SHL as a teenager, especially as a defencemen.

Yeah I get it, it's definitely something to take notice of. He is scoring at the same rate in the SHL that Broberg is in a lesser league. All while being considered good defensively and being a good competitor. Doesn't shy away from the physical side of hockey either. For me it's Soderstrom > Broberg. Part of it is I also know what it's like to really like the size and speed of a player at the draft, that's what I loved about Jake's game pre-draft.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well exactly, even if the Canucks have one of Soderstrom/Seider/Harley/York/Broberg at say 9 or 10 (which is a long shot itself IMO), what do you think the chances of another team taking someone they have ranked lower, going ahead of us and bumping a forward they have ranked 8th or better to us? Pretty high IMO.

I'm like 99.9% we're taking a forward.

I was 99.9% sure Barrett Hayton wasnt going in the top 5 last year, but if ive learned anything from the last couple years the draft rarely goes as predicted after the top 3. At least two teams in the top 10 usually gamble on the wildcard (and there are a few wildcards in this draft).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

Looks like Craig Button sees what many of us see.  Podkolzin isn't as good as we thought.

He was actually on my no draft list due to Russian factors, that being said is he’s ranked 13, saves me time from arguing with others who wants him at 10.

wow if Turcotte is still available at 9 benning should make a move.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Like 1

Canucks need a game-changer. I believe Zegras, Newhook, Cozens, and Boldy will become good NHL players, but maybe not game-changers.

Krebs

Podkolzin

Caufield

Broberg

Seider

Buitton also said, "whoever passes on Caufield, will do so at their own peril".

With Soderstrom, he isn't a very big player, and seems to be more of a mobile Dman. Canucks already have Hughes and Stecher (and Rathbone developing). They need big, fast, reliable Dmen who's main purpose is to keep the puck out of the zone. I think Broberg and Seider fit this role.  

One thing regarding BPA - isn't that how EDM has drafted the last 10 years? They've had high picks every year there for a while, and always took the BPA (which was always a forward). Look where that got them. They still don't have adequate D.  

• Like 1

The closer to the draft we get, the more it becomes apparent that Caufield will not make it to 10.

Initially I had hoped his size might deter some folk and JB would swoop in, but I don't think he gets to us at this point.

We will still get a great young player, really do not want to move from 10 though as some have been clamoring for us to trade down.

One thing regarding BPA - isn't that how EDM has drafted the last 10 years? They've had high picks every year there for a while, and always took the BPA (which was always a forward). Look where that got them. They still don't have adequate D.  

I tend to think that bad or poor management was as much part of this issue as drafting. The coaching was a shambles and the GM wouldn't recognise himself in a mirror

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think that bad or poor management was as much part of this issue as drafting. The coaching was a shambles and the GM wouldn't recognise himself in a mirror

Yes, they're a complete mess. I'm just waiting for McDavid to request a trade lol