The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

On 2/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Krebs - I think the hockey news had him at #2 overall a while back! so 15? seems like a far drop. Although I did see him at 10 as well recently. 

From what I've seen so far, outside of Kakko and Hughes its a massive crap shoot as to draft order. I've seen Byram anywhere from 5 to 10 e.g. 

Whatever happens I'm going to try to be there in person to see it, I've never been to a draft before. 

Drew Way's Rankings

1218 Drew Draft Ranks

Peyton Krebs at # 15.
Here u go. :lol:
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Drew Way's Rankings

1218 Drew Draft Ranks

Funny thing: without searching for a draft ranking having Krebs at # 15 randomly I found one. :P. Interesting thing is it's the first draft ranking having Podkolzin out of the top 5. Moritz Seider at #29 completely underrated. He has top 4 upside, is a RHD already having NHL size,great mobility considering his size and a stellar first pass.

Should have been listed within the top 15.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Drew Way's Rankings

1218 Drew Draft Ranks

Peyton Krebs at # 15.
Here u go. :lol:

:lol: never thought to look at the rangers version of the Canucks Way blog.

If this was the way the draft actually went up to us picking at 15, I could see Benning dropping down to get Broberg or Honka.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I know the Draft is in Vancouver this year. No way the Canucks trade their 1st. But I wonder if hoarding picks, just for the sake of being able to announce a Canucks draft pick at home, is more important than improving the team, readying themselves for this year's playoffs. Benning wants to draft and develop, which is fine to a point, so does that mean the draft picks in Rounds 5-7 will be relied on to bring them a Cup in a few years? Highly doubtful. The Canucks have a lot of "grinders" or bottom 6 guys, what they need is 2 more Top 6 wingers, which they can get by developing Dahlen and Lind, or get with this year's 1st and 2nd. Or else they can trade players/picks for a young top 6 winger.

I'm looking forward to the Draft, as I think Benning can get them a good mid-round (#10-15) player with the 1st (Kaliyev or Krebs?), but I also feel that players like Sutter, Granlund, Baertschi, Schaller and Pouliot are holding this team back.

My Hope:

- Trading for a Top 6 winger

- Bringing up Quinn Hughes

- Playoffs

- Picks in Rounds 1-4 at the Draft (minimum)

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know the Draft is in Vancouver this year. No way the Canucks trade their 1st. But I wonder if hoarding picks, just for the sake of being able to announce a Canucks draft pick at home, is more important than improving the team, readying themselves for this year's playoffs. Benning wants to draft and develop, which is fine to a point, so does that mean the draft picks in Rounds 5-7 will be relied on to bring them a Cup in a few years? Highly doubtful. The Canucks have a lot of "grinders" or bottom 6 guys, what they need is 2 more Top 6 wingers, which they can get by developing Dahlen and Lind, or get with this year's 1st and 2nd. Or else they can trade players/picks for a young top 6 winger.

I'm looking forward to the Draft, as I think Benning can get them a good mid-round (#10-15) player with the 1st (Kaliyev or Krebs?), but I also feel that players like Sutter, Granlund, Baertschi, Schaller and Pouliot are holding this team back.

My Hope:

- Playoffs

I agree, this team needs another couple top 6 wingers. Id go after a guy like Ferland in free agency and then just develop some of the talent we have. Dahlen, Lind, Madden etc all have the potential to develop into top 6 players. Baertschi is an interesting case. If this most recent "injury" is concussion related then I can see him retiring which truly destroys our current top 6 LW depth. I think we should trade Sutter for a late to mid 1st (if we have to add fine, but Boyle fetched a 2nd). 

Draft the best forward and defensemen you can with 2 1sts. Boldy+Seider would be amazing.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My Hope:

- Playoffs

After the recent injuries the Canucks will start to fall out of the last WC spot as the other teams will start to pull away and load up for a playoff push. The Canucks should definitely be sellers at the trade deadline. They could definitely still be in the WC race even after selling.

This is what I want to happen:

Trade Edler/Tanev or both and Sutter for picks (hopefully can get a 1st and 2nds) and/or prospects, retain some salary to get maximum return. Take on 1-2 contracts with 1-2 years term left for picks. The picks will give GMJB flexibility at the draft to make some trades.

Call up some kids to get them some NHL game experience in the last 10-15 games.

Draft 1 Forward & 1 D or 2 Forwards in the 1st Rd (The Canucks pick should at least be in the top 10) or use one 1st to draft and the other in a package to move up in the draft or package to get a top 6 forward.

Free Agency: sign Edler if he wants to come back, resign Brock and some of the other RFAs, and save the rest of the money for Pettersson's next contract. I was originally on the sign Karlsson bandwagon, but the Matthew's contract changed that. Could gamble to sign EK and hope that GMs get 1-2 compliance buyouts in the next CBA that is ratified after the 19-20 season.

AC Readership - I think you're right, that with the Edler and Baertschi injuries, the Canucks may slide just enough to be on the outside looking in (playoffs). But I believe Benning is stubborn and will continue to push ahead with the same roster until they're mathematically eliminated. To me, it makes sense to trade Sutter, so they can bring up Gaudette permanently. Hopefully Hughes comes up later this season too. I'd love to see Benning trade a few vets (Sutter, Granlund, Gagner), and then bring up the young guys (Gaudette, MacEwen, Chatfield, Brisebois, etc). Maybe we'll see them all once the Canucks are out of the playoff race.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

AC Readership - I think you're right, that with the Edler and Baertschi injuries, the Canucks may slide just enough to be on the outside looking in (playoffs). But I believe Benning is stubborn and will continue to push ahead with the same roster until they're mathematically eliminated. To me, it makes sense to trade Sutter, so they can bring up Gaudette permanently. Hopefully Hughes comes up later this season too. I'd love to see Benning trade a few vets (Sutter, Granlund, Gagner), and then bring up the young guys (Gaudette, MacEwen, Chatfield, Brisebois, etc). Maybe we'll see them all once the Canucks are out of the playoff race.

I think some of the other teams will start to turn it on and the Canucks will start to fade in the next 2 weeks, Markstrom's play will start to drop depending how long Demko is out too. The Canucks have no organizational goalie depth.

It would be nice if the Canucks traded a few vets for picks and/or prospects. Then bring up some kids for NHL experience. Win win imo.

5 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Another RH defensive prospect would be nice. Honka?

Not in the first round. Honka has really struggled this year and plays alot like his bro. Have guys like korczak, thomson, seider, and soderstrom ranked before him.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Turcotte, zegras, and caufield looked good at the five nations even though the yanks did lose. Really tempting to hope that van tanks next year and grab either raymond or holtz. 

Raymond Holt?!? From Brooklyn 99????

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Gone to a few rockets games this year, Thompson is a stud. Offensive game night not not translate as well to the next level, but every game he goes on at least one end to end rush dangling guys and rarely is caught up ice, great skater. Korzcak is good, not as offensive but another smooth skater. Foote has been the least impressive to me, big boday, decent skater but doesn't create much on his own. I've seen them all ranked in the lower half of the first round, maybe one will slide to our second rounder? Thoughts? I haven't watched anyone else so I'm just going strictly off what I've seen from those three, there's probably better options. 

• Upvote 1

Went to see Bowen Byram play against the Cougars tonight.  Wow that kid is worth the hype!  Such an effortless skater, he was everywhere on the ice.  Very noticeable.

Defensively sound, as he was always in the right position.  Knows where to be to retrieve the puck.  Seemed like the puck was on his stick all night.  

He was willing to take a hit to make the play.  Noticed a few times that he saw the hit coming, but waited until the last second to make the pass before getting hit into the boards.

First pass out of the D-zone was tape-to-tape and he always seemed to make the right play.  Skating out of his own zone was effortless for him.  He looked like the best skater on the ice.

Made offensive entries look easy and smooth.  Ran the power play from the top of the umbrella and looked dominant there.  Seemed to be controlling the point the whole game.  

He knows when to jump into the play, if he wasn’t leading the rush in the first place.  Very aggressive and could recover quickly.

Obviously, I was pretty impressed.  Only one game, but I see why he is rated so highly in this upcoming draft.  Was also the first star of the game tonight with the overtime winner!

8788A4BE-E95D-4F0B-906E-069F1B03096B.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1