The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

26 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I definitely get that gut feeling that the Canucks are going to move up in the draft

i don’t think they get 1st overall though 

If it’s to move a couple spots for byram and doesn’t cost a lot like from 9th to 6th 

could see that as well! 

49 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I definitely get that gut feeling that the Canucks are going to move up in the draft

i don’t think they get 1st overall though 

I see Benning being teased at the lottery. Our card doesn’t show up and we go through, pictures, headlines and new stories of “Vancouvers new Duo: The Hughes’” only to get 2nd or 3rd. 

Killing and rewarding us. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

The most current 20’s pick with our new scouting staff is Brock Boeser. Would you do the trade for a prospect like that? There’s lots of guys that turn up in the 20’s and with our current scouting regime I’d do a trade if you can get a pick in that range.

Yes, but the 2 before that were McCann and Shinkaruk.

9 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I see Benning being teased at the lottery. Our card doesn’t show up and we go through, pictures, headlines and new stories of “Vancouvers new Duo: The Hughes’” only to get 2nd or 3rd. 

Killing and rewarding us. 

I'll take that all day any day.

Kakko or Byram.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

The guys I'd be looking at for 9th, 10th would be (a) Karlsson Jr., (b) Tkachuk-lite, (c) decision-meh Dahlin, or (d) Bold decision.

These are my nicknames for Soderstrom, Zegras, Broberg, and Boldy. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, I love them all.

HOWEVER... ideally, the Canucks win a top 3 spot and get their guy in Hughes, Kakko, or Byram. Ideally.

Will it happen?

I’m curious about the Tkachuk comparison to Zegras.  From what i’ve heard and read he is more of a skilled playmaker than a power forward type, granted I’ve never seen him play

32 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Yes, but the 2 before that were McCann and Shinkaruk.

McCann’s attitude was poor but he’ll be a fine player. Selected right after him was Pastrnak. It’s almost a shame that McCann fell in the draft and maybe our Euro scouts had Pastrnak next on the board.

Shinkaruk wasn’t Bennings pick.

9 minutes ago, Bilbro Baggins said:

I’m curious about the Tkachuk comparison to Zegras.  From what i’ve heard and read he is more of a skilled playmaker than a power forward type, granted I’ve never seen him play

Zegras can play both finesse and power, but he's been pushed to be a bit more aggressive. Ever since, he's been a little rat. His game along the wall used to be non-existent, now he thrives there and can make stupendous plays along the wall. 

I think what allows him to play such different styles of games is that he's always gone to the dirty areas and he's always skated fast and hard. It just blends well. 

He's a super well-rounded player, super competitive.

• Thanks 1

Turcotte would be a steal at 9. I like Boldy as well. Both have first line potential. 

Im not impressed with the defencemen in the first round. Besides Byram the rest are middle pair potential at best. I would be happy if Benning picked a defencemen with the second rounder like he did last year, with Woo.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Turcotte would be a steal at 9. I like Boldy as well. Both have first line potential. 

Im not impressed with the defencemen in the first round. Besides Byram the rest are middle pair potential at best. I would be happy if Benning picked a defencemen with the second rounder like he did last year, with Woo.

Turcotte IMO should be gone Boldy I like very much but he is 2 years away at best his skating needs serious work though his IQ is off the charts I think he is still a lock 2nd liner. I would love JB to swing for the fences with Newhook, Caufield but Boldy would be a very good pick too. He reminds me of a bigger Daniel Sedin the way he plays down low but I'm not sure he reaches that potential. 

What do you think Toronto would stump up if you offered to take Horton and his 5+ M cap hit? Could you get their 1st +++ ? 

Its only for another year which the Canucks could handle and it allows the leafs to do something with Marner. 

Would the leafs do Sandin and their first to clear Horton?

Edit just realised they dont have a first this year, maybe next years first? Doesnt really help the Canucks immediately

Edited by canuckpuckluck15

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Turcotte IMO should be gone Boldy I like very much but he is 2 years away at best his skating needs serious work though his IQ is off the charts I think he is still a lock 2nd liner. I would love JB to swing for the fences with Newhook, Caufield but Boldy would be a very good pick too. He reminds me of a bigger Daniel Sedin the way he plays down low but I'm not sure he reaches that potential. 

See I’m not sold on Newhook because Jost who was drafted a few years ago had better numbers in the same league and he looks like a 3rd liner. Also there play style is similar. Why spend a top 10 pick on a guy who’s got a big risk with good upside. When we drafted Petey it was high risk high upside pick. If anything I’d take Caufield over him.

39 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

See I’m not sold on Newhook because Jost who was drafted a few years ago had better numbers in the same league and he looks like a 3rd liner. Also there play style is similar. Why spend a top 10 pick on a guy who’s got a big risk with good upside. When we drafted Petey it was high risk high upside pick. If anything I’d take Caufield over him.

Jost played on a better team I had the luxury of watching Jost Fabbro often. Newhook IMO is in another class.

• Cheers 3

Just taking a look at Caufield's stats in his junior career. 

It's amazing. 50 goals in 22 games in High school, 40 goals in 44gp in his USDP U17 season, followed it up with a 10g in 19gp with the U18 program.

8 goals in 6 games at the U17's.

29 goals in the USHL in 28 games. USDP U18 program 54 goals in 55 games this season.

That's just goals. This kid is remarkable. I really hope he hits his growth spurt soon tho.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, cyoung said:

Im looking at Boldy or Caufield for round 1. Either or could slot into our top six in the future.

Round 2. Kokkonen or Thomson but Honka or korczak if they both gone. Kokkonen would be ideal but im thinking he will rise. Thomson also likely be gone late first or early second. Strengthening our rhd depth is important but if kokkonen is avail we gotta take him.

Round 3. Liking Fagemo if he's there, or beaucage.

Round 4. I'd like to swing for the fences and go for Alex Campbell here, not much of a reach at round 4. Very small, committed to Clarkson next year.

This draft has some solid depth. We can really solidify our prospect depth here. Exciting times.

Indeed, Fagemo is an interesting option in round 3.

Has been playing on the top line together with Ryan Lasch and Joel Lundqvist (brother of Hendrik Lundqvist, NYR goalie) for Frölunda Indians and was quite productive with 14 goals in 42 played in the regular season. His coach labeled him "sniper". He is a goal scorer with a great shot, good speed and good hands. Nevertheless he was quiet in the playoffs so far - he did not score a goal so far even playing with real good players on the top-line. 

I read that he was not selected in the 2018 draft due to injuries and inconsistencies. He was invited to the Arizona Coyotes summer camp this summer. Main issue was that he could not adjust to the faster game. For sure an interesting option because of his great shot and his experience in one of the top leagues in Europe. He also looked very good in the Champions Hockey League (tournament of the best European Teams) scoring several goals (if I recall correctly he scored 6 goals). Frölunda won the Champions Hockey League against the Munich Red Bulls and Fagemo scored the opening goal in the final.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Based on previous drafts where Benning has picked people he’s liked that people don’t necessarily see coming I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick 

Arthur Kaliyev 

big body LW that can straight up shoot

Kaliyev I’ve been a big big fan of all year. Wouldn’t be upset if we took him at 9 but I think there will be players with better all around games than his with higher chances of making the nhl.

outside of Hughes and Kakko it’s hard to deny that Caufield and Kaliyev are maybe the next two most dangerous forwards in the draft. 

Caufields downside is his size and playing style for that size and Kaliyev downside is similar to goldobins. I honestly think Kaliyev is like Goldobin if goldy also was a deadly sniper and had higher end finish. He also needs to figure out how to be a complete player like goldobin has struggled with. Goldobin couldn’t out produce this downside. Maybe Kaliyev

offensive game is just so deadly though it won’t matter as much at the next level, but he still has time and hope to develop his all round game as well.

Could easily argue caufield and Kaliyev have the best releases in the draft too. 

-

outside of the top group 

Caufield

Kaliyev

Newhook

are all homerun swing picks - it would be awesome to have a second pick in the mid range to grab one of them. As id love to swing for the fences.

i just think if we are picking at 9 we are going to be taking one of these four:

-Zegras

-Krebs

-Soderstrom

-Boldy

or if someone like Cozens/Dach/Podkolzin falls.

but it wouldn’t be a shock to see someone take a swing on one of those three forwards I said are homerun swings.