2 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Zegras

Boldy

Krebs

Dach

Soderstrom 

seem to be the standard BPA at our current pick 

who do you take?

From that list I'd take Soderstrom or Boldy.

Not as high on Dach and Krebs as other people. Zegras is also not as much of a 200ft player as Turcotte and others. 

1 minute ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Zegras

Boldy

Krebs

Dach

Soderstrom 

who do you take?

If zegras is avaiable when the canucks pick you take him. But it really comes down to boldy. He plays like a tkachuk without all the bs. Plus some scouts peg him as a future selke candidate.

17 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

how did Dach look?

Pretty good. The Blades were out matched most the game but Dach had his moments.

He was good defensively. He reads the play well down low & can use his reach/size to get pucks free. Had a really nice play along the wall where 2 guys were on him & he was able to pull the puck out into the middle with his reach & get away from both.

Offensively had some nice rushes. He had one where he turned on the jets as he entered the zone, cutting right around the D then right in for a chance, pulled it backhand but Scott got the blocker across & made a nice save.

The Raiders were playing him really hard, trying to hit him any chance they got. One guy took a run at him in the neutral zone knocked him into the boards hard. Dach then pushed right back and put the guy on his @$$ and a scrum insued.

When I fell asleep in the 3rd it was 4-1 Raiders and they had taken over the game. Not sure if Dach ended up getting on the scoresheet or not.

I think the Blades are going to be up against it in this series, Prince Albert's been the best team in the WHL this year.

On another note I really liked Leason's game. Guy was everywhere winning battles, turning pucks over & making plays. Had a nice assist on the 3rd goal IIRC.

38 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Zegras

Boldy

Krebs

Dach

Soderstrom 

Edit: Turcotte ( I’ll add him because someone could take zegras/boldy earlier

who do you take?

1. Dach

2  Turcotte

3. Soderstrom 

Id be shocked if Dach falls to our pick though 

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

1. Dach

2  Turcotte

3. Soderstrom 

Dont think dach or turcotte fall to us. It would be nice though. Turcotte would especially be awesome giving that he plays every game like game seven of the cup finals. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I think it plays out as you say, however what aGENT is saying is also very real, if you look at asset management. Getting rid of one of the goalies this offseason, will likely be easier than next summer or Trade Deadline the season after, as all the other teams will be trying to shed players as well in order not to lose any good players for nowt...

And if you had to make the decision now, I think Benning would go with the tried and tested, provided he could get a decent return for Demko (big ?).

Benning future decides on whether Canucks continue to show progress. If he let go of Marky and Demkos development stalled, he could look at another losing season (provided he doesn't spend huge on a back up). Thus Demko could be in play...

However for the above reasons, Benning future, I still believe it will end up playing out as you suggest... He'll keep both goalies until TD 2020, as which stage he will have to make a huge decision on Marky going forward.

I think, based on this seasons play, he will extend Markys contract, unless Demko blows the door wide open next season.

And if he keeps both after TD 2021, Demko will be protected provided he continues to improve his talent... 

I don't know which team is going to pay a big return for Demko when he's barely played this year & isn't proven at the NHL level.

I'd imagine you might get a 2nd round pick if a team really likes him. 

• Upvote 2

I figure if the Canucks don't get a lotto pick, the these guys will be off the table by our turn:

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Byram

Dach

probably Cozens

possibly Zegras

Still, there are good players that could be available:

Krebs

Boldy

Newhook

Caufield

Soderstrom

Kaliyev

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know which team is going to pay a big return for Demko when he's barely played this year & isn't proven at the NHL level.

LOL. Demko is a stud!  a second rounder LOL

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes you are correct.  That would be the return.  And we're not getting a first round pick for Marky.

So let's screw up our goaltending situation for next year just so we can get a 2nd round pick because of asset management and because of the expansion draft which is still 2 years away...  Umm no Jim Benning isn't that stupid thank God...

• Upvote 3

I think I like Matthew Boldy.  We need a left winger and don't have any of quality in the system and only Tanner Pearson is legit on the big club to play a top 6 role.

Pearson   Horvat         xxxxx

Boldy       Pettersson   Boeser

Boldy could be a real good complimentary player to Petey and Brock.  He may be able to step in as early as next year.  Perhaps we can find a RW for Pearson and BO in free agency or via a trade.  In any event Boldy could fill up a big spot in our top 6 for the next decade.  If we don't win the lottery or get a top 3 pick I'd want Benning to pick Boldy at #8 or #9 if he's available...

• Upvote 2

I wonder if NYR would trade their (last) 1st Round pick for Virtanen. That pick would be around #31? Just a thought. Jake may do well in the east, fresh start, and he's NHL ready.  

Couple of Options:

#8-12 - Soderstrom or Broberg

#31 - Tomasino or Pelletier

#8-12 - Krebs or Boldy

#31 - Thomson or Korczak

10 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

LOL. Demko is a stud!  a second rounder LOL

Yeah there's no reason for us to do that right now.

Looking back that's been pretty much the return for promising young goalies that aren't proven.

Only time I can think of where a younger goalie returned a roster player was Bishop for Corey Conacher & he didn't work out at all for Ottawa. (or I guess Bernier for Matt Frattin)

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if NYR would trade their (last) 1st Round pick for Virtanen. That pick would be around #31? Just a thought. Jake may do well in the east, fresh start, and he's NHL ready.  

Couple of Options:

#8-12 - Soderstrom or Broberg

#31 - Tomasino or Pelletier

#8-12 - Krebs or Boldy

#31 - Thomson or Korczak

i like lassi thomson and cozens for bo’s right side. imo petey and brock need a roussel type left winger.

• Upvote 1

Highest % odds that we pick 9th or 10th. According to Bob Mackenzie these are some players who will be available for us in that grouping. Boldy or Krebs could be a good fit with Bo Horvat. However its harder to find a top 4 right defence man. Soderstrom could be that guy. Might be a good fit with Juolevi. Broberg, and Harley I think both play a fast game but need to fine tune the details.  My gut tells me Krebs is the best choice based off his leadership, character, and skill. Although if management knows something I don't I trust in their decision. 

Matthew Boldy
9. Matthew Boldy (Mid-season: 7)

Left Wing | USA NTDP (WHL) | 6'2 | 187 lbs. | Apr. 5, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Philip Broberg
10. Philip Broberg (Mid-season: 8)

Defence | AIK (SWE-Als) | 6'3 | 199 lbs. | Jun. 25, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Victor Soderstrom
11. Victor Soderstrom (Mid-season: 17)

Defence | Brynas (SHL) | 5'11 | 179 lbs. | Feb. 26, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Peyton Krebs
12. Peyton Krebs (Mid-season: 9)

Centre | Kootenay (WHL) | 5'11 | 180 lbs. | Jan. 26, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Arthur Kaliyev
13. Arthur Kaliyev (Mid-season: 13)

Right Wing | Hamilton (OHL) | 6'1 | 190 lbs. | Jun. 26, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Thomas Harley
14. Thomas Harley (Mid-season: 22)

Defence | Mississauga (OHL) | 6'3 | 188 lbs. | Aug. 19, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

Cam York
T15. Cam York (Mid-season: 15)

Defence | USA NTDP (USHL) | 5'11 | 171 lbs. | Jan. 5, 2001 

2018-19 STATISTICS

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

1. Dach

2  Turcotte

3. Soderstrom 

Besides Dach's first 20 games though he hasn't shown much offensive flair IMO

Would much rather draft a guy like Turcotte

I see the latter turning into a guy like Domi while Dach reminds me of Rasmussen.

Maybe I'm wrong tho 

33 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah there's no reason for us to do that right now.

Looking back that's been pretty much the return for promising young goalies that aren't proven.

Only time I can think of where a younger goalie returned a roster player was Bishop for Corey Conacher & he didn't work out at all for Ottawa. (or I guess Bernier for Matt Frattin)

Schnider for Bo Horvat. You can't protect both goal tenders come expansion. 

If they think that Demko is still their number one goalie of the future then you move Marky and bring in a solid backup.

Being that Benning is the one who will be in charge of the trades I wouldn't expect much of a return for anyone.  

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Schnider for Bo Horvat. You can't protect both goal tenders come expansion. 

If they think that Demko is still their number one goalie of the future then you move Marky and bring in a solid backup.

Being that Benning is the one who will be in charge of the trades I wouldn't expect much of a return for anyone.  

Demko's not close to Schneider when we traded him. Not even close.

Schneider was considered a star goalie & had already played (albeit a lockout shortened) season as a starter. Schneider was proven.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2