The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

This is a pretty sad statement about guys being paid to play hockey.

It very much is that. Really makes me wonder about the leadership group in the dressing room. Sadly two of the best "lead by example" players are currently in Vancouver (Biega and Archibald) and the ones left IMO, are not being very effective (Bancks, Kero, Boucher and Sifers) A coach can only do so much; it is up to the players to motivate one another to perform to the best of their abilities and that does not seem to be happening.

• Upvote 2

On 11/11/2018 at 7:53 AM, Dungass said:

Don't really know what to tell everyone. The team just in not good with several non AHL players in the lineup. Team has one AHL level center, is extremely soft and lacks any offense what so ever. Its just a mess and virtually impossible to watch.   

Benning and Johnson at their best.....

They didn't want to sign players better than their prospects but their prospects are so bad they have guys on pto contracts playing ahead of them.... 

I've never seen so many people on the outer concourse during play as I did last night, people prefer to visit with friends than watch this dumpster fire..

Edited by Connor comet
  • Upvote 1

Season six as a Comet season ticket holder and regular attendee.  Worst team to date especially the defense..  Demko will help, but doesn't solve the compete problems Coach mentions, nor the lack of centers and good 2-way d men.  Below average prospects (overall) and some poor AHL vet signings of players who spend more time on the injured list than in the lineup.   Sad regression and fan support is falling.  Losses are fine if the team puts in a good effort, but last night was bad.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Don't really know what to tell everyone. The team just in not good with several non AHL players in the lineup. Team has one AHL level center, is extremely soft and lacks any offense what so ever. Its just a mess and virtually impossible to watch.   

Benning and Johnson at their best.....

They didn't want to sign players better than their prospects but their prospects are so bad they have guys on pto contracts playing ahead of them.... 

I've never seen so many people on the outer concourse during play as I did last night, people prefer to visit with friends than watch this dumpster fire..

2 hours ago, UTICANUCK said:

Season six as a Comet season ticket holder and regular attendee.  Worst team to date especially the defense..  Demko will help, but doesn't solve the compete problems Coach mentions, nor the lack of centers and good 2-way d men.  Below average prospects (overall) and some poor AHL vet signings of players who spend more time on the injured list than in the lineup.   Sad regression and fan support is falling.  Losses are fine if the team puts in a good effort, but last night was bad.

I've been saying it since before the season started as has other Utica posters.  This team cannot compete without better skilled centers which is directly on Ryan Johnson and Jim Benning and even more egregious when you consider the fact that the higher end prospects in Utica are on the wings (minus Juolevi).

Take a look at the four centers right now.

Kero

Bancks

Woods

ECHL PTO Cameranesi in for the injured Darcy

Bancks and Woods have a combined 5 points in a combined 34 games.  Neither should be centering any line in the AHL.  Darcy would be an adequate fourth line center but has been asked to do too much when playing in the middle of the top six on this team.  Kero is the only legitimate top six center.

Does anyone think this group of centers are capable of competing in this league?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I've been saying it since before the season started as has other Utica posters.  This team cannot compete without better skilled centers which is directly on Ryan Johnson and Jim Benning and even more egregious when you consider the fact that the higher end prospects in Utica are on the wings (minus Juolevi).

Kero

Bancks

Woods

Bancks and Woods have a combined 5 points in a combined 34 games.  Neither should be centering any line in the AHL.  Darcy would be an adequate fourth line center but has been asked to do too much when playing in the middle of the top six on this team.  Kero is the only legitimate top six center.

Does anyone think this group of centers are capable of competing in this league?

Let's not forget the comets are short gaunce gagner and gaudette. Those are just the centers your missing not including the wingers who should all be playing for the comets right now. Injuries effect the entire franchise. We lose 6 players, you lose your six best players. I don't really know what your solution would be As we're at 46/50 contracts right now. Had we of signed two more AHL plugs for your depth that handcuffs us come trade deadline and or college signing time.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Let's not forget the comets are short gaunce gagner and gaudette. Those are just the centers your missing not including the wingers who should all be playing for the comets right now. Injuries effect the entire franchise. We lose 6 players, you lose your six best players. I don't really know what your solution would be As we're at 46/50 contracts right now. Had we of signed two more AHL plugs for your depth that handcuffs us come trade deadline and or college signing time.

And I criticized the decision to loan Gagner to the Marlies at the time and is even more ridiculous right now.  Injuries happen every year so the loss of Gaudette and Gaunce needed to be planned for.  There are always better options at center available to be signed to AHL contracts than Bancks and Woods if they didn't want to use another NHL contract.  Hell even Cole Cassels would be better than Bancks and Woods if they had brought him back on an AHL deal.  And if they stop signing junk like Laplante to 3 year ELCs they would have more NHL contracts available.

30 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And I criticized the decision to loan Gagner to the Marlies at the time and is even more ridiculous right now.  Injuries happen every year so the loss of Gaudette and Gaunce needed to be planned for.  There are always better options at center available to be signed to AHL contracts than Bancks and Woods if they didn't want to use another NHL contract.  Hell even Cole Cassels would be better than Bancks and Woods if they had brought him back on an AHL deal.  And if they stop signing junk like Laplante to 3 year ELCs they would have more NHL contracts available.

The gagner situatuon requires you to read between the lines a bit. Do you think he reports to Utica? Why would they just loan him. He clearly would have helped in some ways. Benning isn't as dumb as you and the other Utica crew believe.

• Upvote 2

Lets face it Comets fans are always going to look at things differently than Canucks fans.  At the end of the day Canucks fans are primarily concerned with the development of a few prospects each year.  Comets fans who are paying to watch the team play want to see competitive hockey and hopefully winning hockey.  Being 2 - 7 at home while playing a listless style is not fun to watch.  When this team eventually moves out to Abbostford or Vancouver itself the priorities of the Canucks fans that spend their money watching them play will change to.

Edited by UticaHockey

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The gagner situatuon requires you to read between the lines a bit. Do you think he reports to Utica? Why would they just loan him. He clearly would have helped in some ways. Benning isn't as dumb as you and the other Utica crew believe.

if he would have chosen to not report to utica could his then 6.3m left on his contract then be terminated? Be stupid of him to not report, he aint gonna make that much in the nhl again

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

if he would have chosen to not report to utica could his then 6.3m left on his contract then be terminated? Be stupid of him to not report, he aint gonna make that much in the nhl again

Key word there. He's made it before. At one point his family comes first. Thag point was an ahl demotion apparently.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Kero

Bancks

Woods

Brings home your point on having Gagne on this team. He would really help out. I understand we did an NHL vet a "solid" by getting him close to home..but you can't ignore the fact the Comets can really use a guy like him right now.

• Upvote 1