The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Ducks are so bad that 7th rdr is like getting a 4th rdr! :) Don't worry I understand the math. We can advocate for a lottery expansion. 

hey Hansen was a 9th rounder, its at least possible that this turns into something. 

• Upvote 1

i assume kero is getting a paycheck reward and is an extra man on the roster insurance who is unlikely to dress.  

the canucks going down to 7 dmen and carrying 2 extra forwards likely means utica guys other than gaudette are going to see reward call ups where they may ride the pine but will cash cheques, especially if goldobin is also moved which i think is now likely.  the comments on the broadcast last night by dan murphy was that coaching staff felt they had done all they can with goldy in terms of additional coaching and now it is up to him.  that means to me he is down to his last chance.

Edited by krutovsdonut

1 hour ago, krutovsdonut said:

i assume kero is getting a paycheck reward and is an extra man on the roster insurance who is unlikely to dress.  

the canucks going down to 7 dmen and carrying 2 extra forwards likely means utica guys other than gaudette are going to see reward call ups where they may ride the pine but will cash cheques, especially if goldobin is also moved which i think is now likely.  the comments on the broadcast last night by dan murphy was that coaching staff felt they had done all they can with goldy in terms of additional coaching and now it is up to him.  that means to me he is down to his last chance.

Simon

Kero is on a one way so no pay increase.  Probably isn't expected to play so they rather keep Gaudette here for the time being getting a lot of minutes.  Kero will get to practice a few times for Green to get a look at him.

• Upvote 1

Some JB devotees(like yours' truly) were advocating patience here, to the Utica Brethren. In Nov/Dec the window ledges were filling up like the Tokyo subway platform at rush hr.

Please for the love of all that's freeken'Holy, save the drama queen antics for Feb(at least!) in future yrs...

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Some JB devotees(like yours' truly) were advocating patience here, to the Utica Brethren. In Nov/Dec the window ledges were filling up like the Tokyo subway platform at rush hr.

Please for the love of all that's freeken'Holy, save the drama queen antics for Feb(at least!) in future yrs...

not to excuse the most extreme manifestations of what you describe, but i think it's fair to say it's been a bumpy ride and there were points where the plan was not working and the youngsters were not in a nurturing structured environment and saying that was fair comment.  you can blame that on injuries i guess but there was reason for concern.

i also am skeptical he recent moves benefiting the comets were initiated to benefit the comets.  we just happened to pick up some assets that help the farm/

that being said, you are somewhat right.  the lesson that "it all comes out in the wash" is probably a good one for purposes of farm team watching.  

plus we got saucerman

28 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

not to excuse the most extreme manifestations of what you describe, but i think it's fair to say it's been a bumpy ride and there were points where the plan was not working and the youngsters were not in a nurturing structured environment and saying that was fair comment.  you can blame that on injuries i guess but there was reason for concern.

i also am skeptical he recent moves benefiting the comets were initiated to benefit the comets.  we just happened to pick up some assets that help the farm/

that being said, you are somewhat right.  the lesson that "it all comes out in the wash" is probably a good one for purposes of farm team watching.  

plus we got saucerman

There's even a trace of JB playin poker/ or teen memories of "chicken", with the dissers & naysayers(incl plenty media). They were waiting for the housa'cards'collapse, & he held in til the (perhaps?) optimal time to make astute, assertive moves. Not huge moves, but a succession of minor/medium manoeuvres, that tweaked both clubs at key moments.

With burgeoning youth & ample cap, he can continue this strategy for a lengthy spell, if need be.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
French spellin eh?

20 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

plus we got saucerman

But that's exactly what they have been doing in Utica. You can say play the kids all you want, but if they aren't ready and playing well, you run the risk of absolutely shattering their confidence, which may take even more time to repair. Dahlen, Gadjovich and Lind are all playing better and getting better minutes recently as a result. Palmu was the overage late round pick, who was seemingly the odd man out with so many rookies in the lineup, but now he's playing bigger minutes with Kakko.

Adding Pyatt, Leighton and Schenn will help out the prospects even more and now the Comets are on a trajectory to make some noise in the Calder playoffs.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

But that's exactly what they have been doing in Utica. You can say play the kids all you want, but if they aren't ready and playing well, you run the risk of absolutely shattering their confidence, which may take even more time to repair. Dahlen, Gadjovich and Lind are all playing better and getting better minutes recently as a result. Palmu was the overage late round pick, who was seemingly the odd man out with so many rookies in the lineup, but now he's playing bigger minutes with Kakko.

Adding Pyatt, Leighton and Schenn will help out the prospects even more and now the Comets are on a trajectory to make some noise in the Calder playoffs.

i don't say "play the kids" or at least i am not complaining about the fact some kids are seeing limited action.   

i just say that there were times in the fall when the kids who were playing were playing on a team that was a mess.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

plus we got saucerman

And the point is Utica is THEIR team, THEIR "life," they don't have to care a rats ass for Vancouver, and so of course they fret over things they "perceive" to be against them. They don't look on their team as an affiliate they see them as their home town heroes. Some of us need to walk for a bit in their shoes.

Jeez we should be the last people to throw stones in that respect.

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why do you keep beating a dead horse? Because 2-3 people in Utica who write stupid crap on these boards? I won't speak for them, but I feel pretty lucky to have the Comets here, win or lose. There's probably more than 3,800 people in this town that feel the same way. I like reading the comments from everyone just to keep up on how the Canucks and Comets are doing. Why don't you just leave it at that? It's gotten real tiring.

Edited by UticaComment
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

And the point is Utica is THEIR team, THEIR "life," they don't have to care a rats ass for Vancouver, and so of course they fret over things they "perceive" to be against them. They don't look on their team as an affiliate they see them as their home town heroes. Some of us need to walk for a bit in their shoes.

that's just not fair.  i think even the strongest critics of the canuck's strategy for utica do it within a framework that respects that utica is a farm team that must put development of prospects first.  their argument is that a well built farm team with its own structure and veteran mentors is good for everyone and especially for the prospects.

i actually think it's remarkable how few "utica first" comets fans there are posting here given human nature.  

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

55 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

that's just not fair.  i think even the strongest critics of the canuck's strategy for utica do it within a framework that respects that utica is a farm team that must put development of prospects first.  their argument is that a well built farm team with its own structure and veteran mentors is good for everyone and especially for the prospects.

i actually think it's remarkable how few "utica first" comets fans there are posting here given human nature.  

I am 100% Utica first and not ashamed to admit it.  The Comets are the pride of the city and we feel very blessed to have this level of hockey to enjoy in such a small town when compared to other cities in the AHL.  Most Comets fans eat and breathe hockey and the success on the ice is extremely important to us.  There is nothing more important to Comets fans than returning to the success of the 2015 Calder Cup run.  Knowledgeable Comets fans understand the role of being a farm team and the importance of developing players for the Canucks and we love to see our former players playing in the NHL.  But the success of the Comets is what really gets us going. 

11 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I am 100% Utica first and not ashamed to admit it.  The Comets are the pride of the city and we feel very blessed to have this level of hockey to enjoy in such a small town when compared to other cities in the AHL.  Most Comets fans eat and breathe hockey and the success on the ice is extremely important to us.  There is nothing more important to Comets fans than returning to the success of the 2015 Calder Cup run.  Knowledgeable Comets fans understand the role of being a farm team and the importance of developing players for the Canucks and we love to see our former players playing in the NHL.  But the success of the Comets is what really gets us going. 

And the night that the Comets clinched first place in the conference on the road.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2