The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

18 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Tanner Macmaster traded to Toronto for D-man Stefan Leblanc. More moves to come ???.

Yeah, just saw that on twitter.

I liked what MacMaster brought in the preseason but it's pretty clear that he wasn't going to get an ELC from the Canucks. Just hasn't kept the momentum of his strong preseason and rookie tournament into a meaningful AHL campaign. Plus, the Canucks are a little overwrought with forward depth right now. One less forward body for guys like Jasek, Gadjovich, Lind, and Dahlen to contend with.

This could signal that a d-man on the Canucks NHL roster may be on the move and that Utica will be losing a guy to the Canucks soon. With Chatfield and Sautner returning, and the arrival of Luke Schenn, one would think the Comets wouldn't need another d-man right now but that could change if one (or more) of Gudbranson/Edler/Tanev/Pouliot is on the move.

Pouliot has been horrible for awhile now. Maybe the Canucks are gearing up for the possibility of placing him on waivers and losing him? I feel like guys like Chatfield, Brisebois, Sautner, and McEneny deserve looks over him and would probably be better than Pouliot at this point. I mean, in the Aves game yesterday Pouliot nearly took out Boeser in a particularly dumb moment. Can't have your own d-man accidentally colliding with one of your star player's at any point in a game... accidentally or not.

Interested to see what LeBlanc can bring to the table.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Yeah, just saw that on twitter.

I liked what MacMaster brought in the preseason but it's pretty clear that he wasn't going to get an ELC from the Canucks. Just hasn't kept the momentum of his strong preseason and rookie tournament into a meaningful AHL campaign. Plus, the Canucks are a little overwrought with forward depth right now. One less forward body for guys like Jasek, Gadjovich, Lind, and Dahlen to contend with.

This could signal that a d-man on the Canucks NHL roster may be on the move and that Utica will be losing a guy to the Canucks soon. With Chatfield and Sautner returning, and the arrival of Luke Schenn, one would think the Comets wouldn't need another d-man right now but that could change if one (or more) of Gudbranson/Edler/Tanev/Pouliot is on the move.

Pouliot has been horrible for awhile now. Maybe the Canucks are gearing up for the possibility of placing him on waivers and losing him? I feel like guys like Chatfield, Brisebois, Sautner, and McEneny deserve looks over him and would probably be better than Pouliot at this point. I mean, in the Aves game yesterday Pouliot nearly took out Boeser in a particularly dumb moment. Can't have your own d-man accidentally colliding with one of your star player's at any point in a game... accidentally or not.

Interested to see what LeBlanc can bring to the table.

To be honest, I know very little about Stefan Leblanc, but from his stats he appears to be a stay at home type of D man.

Tanner MacMaster; IMO had flat lined in his progress this year and now that the rookies appear to be ready to take on the task; he became expendable. Good that they picked up some added depth on the blue line as I suspect that at least one and possibly two Canuck players might be on the move before the TDL.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Connor comet said:

Word we are getting is that Blujus was injured and is out long term. Sautner is still not back and may be some time before he does. Marlies had a glut of defenseman. So it appears to be a depth move. 

Do these two guys traded today have NHL contracts, or is this strictly an AHL deal?

1 hour ago, The Beagle had landed said:

If someone is recalled it will most likely be Gaudette. 

Would Gaunce have to clear waivers?

I think Gaunce has about a week left of waivers exemption. Spent something like 22 days on the Canucks roster, and you get 30 days (or 10 games) exemption after clearing waivers. So he’d need to clear waivers again if he used up his remaining exemption.

Unless you’re talking about the recall? Those waivers were eliminated and you don’t have to clear waivers to come up to the NHL anymore. Only going down to the AHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Beagle had landed said:

If someone is recalled it will most likely be Gaudette. 

Would Gaunce have to clear waivers?

That's a good point.  To get Gaunce back down to Utica for their playoffs, he'd likely have to clear, and I think he gets claimed.  

On February 4, 2019 at 11:42 AM, The 5th Line said:

God MacEwen is a beauty

Hope Benning brings him up for look for 2-4 games..

Future bottom 6 players, excited how this prospect has come along, 6'4, 215, decent hands...

Close to NHL ready 2019-2020 season.... He will replace Schaller for sure..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Big news for the Comets, get a huge piece back on the blueline.  Hope he gets caught up to speed quickly and can get a look in Vancouver.

Good to hear. I loved the way this kid played up here. Size, mobile, a bit of aggression, and smart positonally

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here we go again

JD Burkes assessment of Utica

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040

:huh:

Heard that.

Seems like Coach Cull is putting wins ahead of development for Canucks players. And even then its backfiring. Kind of like a minor league version of the kind of mistakes the big team was making a few years ago. Trying to  make the playoffs by using older vets and not playing the youth...and still finishing at the bottom. Players like Lind and Gadjovich getting 8 min. on the 4th line, Intermittently scratched for games in a row. No wonder their numbers are so low. 

Sounds like an AHL  coach that is in it for himself more than the Canucks. In some ways I can see why. Coaches that get promoted to the NHL are the ones that win Calder Cups. But its stalling our young players growth. Me thinks Benning needs to have a little chat with Cull.

Here's the article, for those that subscribe to the Athletic

https://athletique.com/774416/2019/02/06/are-the-kids-alright-making-sense-of-the-utica-comets-player-deployment-this-season/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Heard that.

Seems like Coach Cull is putting wins ahead of development for Canucks players. And even then its backfiring. Kind of like a minor league version of the kind of mistakes the big team was making a few years ago. Trying to  make the playoffs by using older vets and not playing the youth...and still finishing at the bottom. Players like Lind and Gadjovich getting 8 min. on the 4th line, Intermittently scratched for games in a row. No wonder their numbers are so low. 

Sounds like an AHL  coach that is in it for himself more than the Canucks. In some ways I can see why. Coaches that get promoted to the NHL are the ones that win Calder Cups. But its stalling our young players growth. Me thinks Benning needs to have a little chat with Cull.

Here's the article, for those that subscribe to the Athletic

https://athletique.com/774416/2019/02/06/are-the-kids-alright-making-sense-of-the-utica-comets-player-deployment-this-season/

I just listened to the interview and posted everyone should listen....I can't believe this, was wondering why Lind only has 10 points..

Guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek should be given lots of playing time to develop..You can't develop playing 8 mins a game...

Just crazy when i heard the good interview...Burke just tells things the way they are!!!!!