The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

6 hours ago, kilgore said:

Heard that.

Seems like Coach Cull is putting wins ahead of development for Canucks players. And even then its backfiring. Kind of like a minor league version of the kind of mistakes the big team was making a few years ago. Trying to  make the playoffs by using older vets and not playing the youth...and still finishing at the bottom. Players like Lind and Gadjovich getting 8 min. on the 4th line, Intermittently scratched for games in a row. No wonder their numbers are so low. 

Sounds like an AHL  coach that is in it for himself more than the Canucks. In some ways I can see why. Coaches that get promoted to the NHL are the ones that win Calder Cups. But its stalling our young players growth. Me thinks Benning needs to have a little chat with Cull.

Here's the article, for those that subscribe to the Athletic

https://athletique.com/774416/2019/02/06/are-the-kids-alright-making-sense-of-the-utica-comets-player-deployment-this-season/

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I just listened to the interview and posted everyone should listen....I can't believe this, was wondering why Lind only has 10 points..

Guys like Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek should be given lots of playing time to develop..You can't develop playing 8 mins a game...

Just crazy when i heard the good interview...Burke just tells things the way they are!!!!!

23 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

jd burke is a blogger who in the past has trashed the drafting/signing of adam gaudette, zack mcewan and matthew tkachuk just off the top of my head.   i appreciate the guy's dedication and statistical knowledge but he is a stat hound who knows nothing whatever about developing players in the minors, having never spent a nanosecond in the minors being developed or developing guys and having no useful insight that i can see (full disclaimer, i was down on tkachuk also but i don't evaluate hockey players for a living).

i also want to be quick to say i don't know what's going on in utica either and nor do i know the pros and cons of cull's approach.  i am just saying burke's opinion on this subject had no weight for me one way or the other.  i am much more interested in the comments of comets fans who go to games and watch closely.  by and large, they have supported the idea that several in this crop of canucks prospects were not ready to play regularly in the ahl when they got here and have been brought along appropriately relative to how they have performed.  i will also say that, anecdotally, junior kids other than the cream of the crop taking half a season at least to adjust to the ahl seems like par for the course.

I would not be so hard on JD Burke. I think he is pretty good. There is a reason he gets paid to comment on hockey and is a frequent guest on sports talk radio. (Not that  everyone on talk radio knows what they are talking about but regular guests are usually quite knowledge.)

Also, you don't need to play in the minors or anywhere else to know that actually playing games is an important part of development. Palmu went back to Finland this year because he was not playing in Utica. It is very unlikely that sitting in the press box so much has been good for Gadjovich or Jasek, among others. If they can't play in Utica, they should play somewhere else. But they do need to play.

Also, Burke is right that so far we have seen very little developmental value added from Utica. We can't expect every prospect to make a lot of progress but if no prospects make significant progress, there is a problem. This year, just going by normal league translation factors and variance in subsequent performance, at least one of Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Dahlen, or Palmu should have been able to put up good AHL numbers, and preferably two or three. But I would say that all of them have had disappointing years so far. And none of the D prospects in Utica have done a lot either, although they have had injury problems.

I would say only one skater (non-goalie) both spent significant time in Utica and is helping the Canucks. That is Virtanen. And he was coached by Green, not by Cull. (Gaudette and Goldy spent some time in Utica, but not enough for that time to be more than a blip on their development charts.)

I am not pretending to know a lot about what is going on in Utica but I think Burke's reporting is at least interesting and might be getting at a genuine problem. After all, some organizations do better at development than others and it is possible that the Utica operation is below average.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I would not be so hard on JD Burke. I think he is pretty good. There is a reason he gets paid to comment on hockey and is a frequent guest on sports talk radio. (Not that  everyone on talk radio knows what they are talking about but regular guests are usually quite knowledge.)

Also, you don't need to play in the minors or anywhere else to know that actually playing games is an important part of development. Palmu went back to Finland this year because he was not playing in Utica. It is very unlikely that sitting in the press box so much has been good for Gadjovich or Jasek, among others. If they can't play in Utica, they should play somewhere else. But they do need to play.

Also, Burke is right that so far we have seen very little developmental value added from Utica. We can't expect every prospect to make a lot of progress but if no prospects make significant progress, there is a problem. This year, just going by normal league translation factors and variance in subsequent performance, at least one of Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Dahlen, or Palmu should have been able to put up good AHL numbers, and preferably two or three. But I would say that all of them have had disappointing years so far. And none of the D prospects in Utica have done a lot either, although they have had injury problems.

I would say only one skater (non-goalie) both spent significant time in Utica and is helping the Canucks. That is Virtanen. And he was coached by Green, not by Cull. (Gaudette and Goldy spent some time in Utica, but not enough for that time to be more than a blip on their development charts.)

I am not pretending to know a lot about what is going on in Utica but I think Burke's reporting is at least interesting and might be getting at a genuine problem. After all, some organizations do better at development than others and it is possible that the Utica operation is below average.

Did this Burke dud ever actually play beyond minor hockey?  Guy is a goof, who know little to nothing about actually playing the game at the tough levels.  Given that little factoid, I do agree with him that our farm team is not producing crops.  Our young players need opportunities to develop on the farm.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The organization still has no depth still you can see that on both teams.   Canucks and Comets are still in building situations and should be for a few more years.

I think people are over estimating what is on the rosters.  Just look at Cole Cassels, playing for Wolfburg Grizzlies.  Who???  ya some crappy fringe german league.    and he was supposed to shut down connor McDavid once he got here.....Another QUIET BUST   Mackenze Stewart Innisfail Eagles Senior league....Bust  Dmitry Zhukanov um not printing all that. lol 4 Russian teams in 2019....Bust   Tate Olson 3 ECHL teams since 2019.....Bust

All I'm saying is it seems like just a decimal point over 1 player per year is making it out of our drafts year after year.

Being realistic, Gaunce is one of a very few players on the Comets that can be activated on the Nucks roster with out it hurting the team

You know what: I think you do not know what you are talking about, dude. Here is the truth: the top teams in the German league can easily defeat any and the emphasis is clearly on any top team in the AHL. Just take a couple of minutes to look at the roster of the Mannheim Adler currently sitting on top of the standings in the top league in Germany. Some NHL veterans like Marcel Goc ( > 700 NHL), Ben Smith on the forward group. Do you know Ben Smith? He is the guy who played on the Toronto Marlies team last season. He was fundamental in their Calder cup win. Most of the headcoaches in the German league are north american. up to 10 players from north america are allowed to play on a team. The consequence is: most of the teams in Germany's top league play and north american style of game: north / south, physical game with big hits, aggressive forecheck. You dude are telling that this is a crappy fringe german league. Come on.

The AHL is one tough league for young players to adjust to. It's faster, tougher and with the schedule concentrated on the weekends is physically challenging.

Playing a bunch of 1st year kids is just going to end up being a disaster. And the comets other than Gaudette have no blue Chip prospects but rather have lower picks who have been brought along slowly. 

Obviously the development is happening and working as players are improving from season to season and taking bigger rolls and more minutes. 

Unfortunately these guys are not NHL talent at this point. 

Sautner, Brisbois, Mceneny all come to mind as fitting this mold. All were raw rookies at one point and are now important pieces to the team. 

Unfortunately at forward there are fewer, but big Mac definitely is one...... Demko in net is another.....

I have no clue how anyone can say development is not happening..... It takes time... In Sautners case it took untill his 3rd season till he took off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe Utica shouldn't be the first choice for our young guys if it's so tough and so hard to get ice time. 

Keep them where they are comfortable and going to get ice time like Palmu.

Utica could focus on our development of older types like Gaunce and Archie.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Maybe Utica shouldn't be the first choice for our young guys if it's so tough and so hard to get ice time. 

Keep them where they are comfortable and going to get ice time like Palmu.

Utica could focus on our development of older types like Gaunce and Archie.

Same principle as the big club applies........veteran players allow the young players to develop without unnecessary pressure to carry a club before they're ready.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Same principle as the big club applies........veteran players allow the young players to develop without unnecessary pressure to carry a club before they're ready.  

For a young player ice time should be paramount. 

Not siting in the press box.

They should stay down with their clubs instead, European, University or where ever.

• Upvote 1