The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

10 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

tough day for utica.  leipsic doesn't make it past waivers and now carcone is gone.

They had too many wingers.  Cull explained that they sent Gagner to Toronto because he would be taking ice time away from prospects that they want to get up and running.  

Boucher, Gaunce, Bancks, Archibald are veteran wingers and likely to play when healthy.  It would be 5 with Leipsic.

Even without Leipsic it only leaves 4 winger spots for prospects: Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, MacEwen, Dahlen, Jasek and now traded Carcone.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

they should have sent Gaudette down.......protected and he needs the ice time.  I'm a big JB supporter, but that was a poor move, imo.  

they may have wanted leipsic gone.  

same reason they waited an extra day to send archie down so he had to clear waivers. 

the logical explanation in both cases is they wanted this player to be picked up by another team corrado style because management has seen enough.

• Upvote 1

Just now, krutovsdonut said:

they may have wanted leipsic gone.  

same reason they waited an extra day to send archie down so he had to clear waivers. 

the logical explanation in both cases is they wanted this player to be picked up by another team corrado style because management has seen enough.

I also hadn't heard about the Leivo trade when I wrote that.  Though it doesn't help Utica, it does replace the lost depth from the BL claim by LA.  I still think Gaudette should mve down to Utica, for his own development.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I also hadn't heard about the Leivo trade when I wrote that.  Though it doesn't help Utica, it does replace the lost depth from the BL claim by LA.  I still think Gaudette should mve down to Utica, for his own development.

with leivo added onto the roster, the door is now open for that to happen if beagle looks good on his return.

2 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

with leivo added onto the roster, the door is now open for that to happen if beagle looks good on his return.

By my count if Leivo is added to the Canucks roster that means one player will have to be waived or sent down as we would be over the 23 man roster limit. This is assuming that Beagle is returning to play vs Minn tomorrow

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

By my count if Leivo is added to the Canucks roster that means one player will have to be waived or sent down as we would be over the 23 man roster limit. This is assuming that Beagle is returning to play vs Minn tomorrow

yep, either gaudette (logical) or they may try and unload another contract through waivers.  pouliot comes to mind.

24 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

yep, either gaudette (logical) or they may try and unload another contract through waivers.  pouliot comes to mind.

I would think they would prefer to trade Pouliot rather than lose him outright to waivers but I am not sure there would be all that much interest in him so it certainly is a possibility we should have a better idea as the day progresses as to what the clubs intentions are.

Canucks Acquire Josh Leivo From Toronto

... in exchange for Michael Carcone

by Canucks Media Relations @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired forward Josh Leivo from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forward Michael Carcone.

Leivo, 25, has appeared in 27 games for Toronto this season, collecting six points (4-2-6) and seven penalty minutes.

The Innisfil, Ontario native has played 84 NHL games, recording 28 points (14-14-28) and 27 penalty minutes over the course of six seasons with Toronto.

In 2015.16, he was named to the AHL All-Star game in a season where he registered nearly a point per game for Toronto's AHL affiliate, the Marlies: 48 points (17-31-48) in 51 games.

The 6'2", 192-pound left wing was originally drafted by Toronto in the third round, 86th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

This just proves that not everyone likes to play in their hometown.

Leivo has spent some time in Toronto, but he feels he could prosper somewhere else, hence the trade request he made back in February. Hopefully he can prosper on our team.

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sucks for the Comets that they lose Carcone and now they don't even get Leips either. Hopefully they'll get Gaudette when Beagle starts playing.

I have a feeling that if Adam Gaudette does get sent down tomorrow he is going to make everyone forget about Carcone. The Comets have lots of wingers but desperately need a quality center and Gaudette is all of that IMO.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Sucks for the Comets that they lose Carcone and now they don't even get Leips either. Hopefully they'll get Gaudette when Beagle starts playing.

Surely this happens all the time. There are PTOs out there that the Comets can consider. It's not like these are injuries, they are entitled to sign new players are they not? 

I often speak for Utica but at the end of the day this was a chance to trade for a big body with potential for a small body with less potential. We are not turning our back on that. We might in the future consider this to be a bit of a steal by JB.

As I said above I'm not convinced we will send Gaudette down. Look at it this way, do you send a young guy who has played fast physical hockey and who has done everything asked of him or do you say "Down you go, we are going to play someone (Schaller) who quite frankly doesn't look like he wants to be here"

I would love JB to trade Schaller for maybe a prospect who is say round about 2/3rd round calibre but is in a bit of limbo at his present club. Similar to Leivo.

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It should be fine. Carcone's departure will open the door for Petrus Palmu, Lukas Jasek, and Jonah Gadjovich -- all of whom have been carouselling with being healthy scratched because of the glut of "marginal" tweener NHL/AHL bodies in the lineup. Of the three, I expect Jasek will probably seize the opportunity but hopefully a bigger role for either Palmu or Gadjovich will get them out of there first half slump and awaken them as AHL players. A strong second half from those three will only bode well for them going forward. All three of Palmu, Jasek, and Gadjovich have higher NHL upside than Carcone anyways -- and I was/still am a big Carcone fan.

• Upvote 1

My guess is if Leipsic wasn't claimed he would have been loaned to Marlies and would have seen Utica as a visitor only.  Benninig continues to make the Marlies better at Utica's expense.  Surprised Demko isn't there too. Won't lose sleep over losing Carcone but the move, the loss of Leipsic and sending Gagner back to the Marlies is all negative from the Comets' side.  You basically give up Leipsic and Carcone for Leivo, who is slower than Leipsic and put up worse numbers  than Leipsic at the AHL level?   Would be nice to see Leivo gel in Vancouver, but on paper this looks like an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle by a GM that didn't do so well with his FA picks.