The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Finally, some good 2020 news: there might actually be extraterrestrial life on Venus!

(Awaiting 2020’s response: these alien microbes are lethal and are coming to Earth to murder us all. ;))

They arrived in January......landed on a bat in Wuhan, China....

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Finally, some good 2020 news: there might actually be extraterrestrial life on Venus!

(Awaiting 2020’s response: these alien microbes are lethal and are coming to Earth to murder us all. ;))

**Crosses alien life found on Venus off 2020 bingo card

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Unreal.

Throw the book at those that have done this, for a second time. 

Cable of Sea-to-Sky Gondola deliberately cut for a 2nd time

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-vandalism-2020-1.5723042

Horrible. But at least it was done at night when it wasn’t in use. 

Have to wonder if this is just meaningless vandalism or some sort of radical group that’s cutting the cables? I know there were people opposed to the gondola being built and petitions against it. 

Scary to think what could happen if these vandals cut the lines during the daytime when people were using it. Or if they cut the cables half way, weakening them enough to potentially cause a catastrophic failure during use.

Thankfully, it doesn’t seem like the vandals are looking to hurt people, they just want to damage the actual gondola.

(I mean, it’s bad enough, but at least it doesn’t appear they’re looking to murder anyone).

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They arrived in January......landed on a bat in Wuhan, China....

Good things this news about Venus came out the day after the Vancouver “Freedom Rally.” :lol:

Personally, I don’t think the microbes are COVID-19. Seems more likely the gas is being produced by emissions from from the Scientologists’ thetan landing station on Venus. ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good things this news about Venus came out the day after the Vancouver “Freedom Rally.” :lol:

Personally, I don’t think the microbes are COVID-19. Seems more likely the gas is being produced by emissions from from the Scientologists’ thetan landing station on Venus. ;) 

Either that, or a covert Space Force garrison....

• Cheers 1

Whoever did this should be shot and pissed on.....

....and not necessarily in that order......:mad:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/michigan-razorblades-playground-trnd/index.html

Razor blades -- 41 of them -- were found at a playground in Eaton Rapids, prompting officials to canvass parks in the Michigan city out of caution.

"Some of the blades appeared to have been placed intentionally to cause harm," city police said in a news release.
A group of people found 39 blades around playground equipment at Howe Park on Monday. Police and city staff found two more when they searched the park.
The city put out an all-call for large, construction grade magnets to help find and collect any other razor blades that may have been left at other parks in the community.
City workers found more in the grass at GAR Memorial Island.
"Although we have done everything in our ability to ensure the safety of the park spaces, please remember to always remain aware, alert and diligent about your surrounding," the city said in a statement.
Witnesses reported seeing four teenagers on the Howe playground equipment before the razor blades were discovered.
The city is offering a $2,500 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the suspects.
All parks are now open again.

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Whoever did this should be shot and pissed on.....

....and not necessarily in that order......:mad:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/michigan-razorblades-playground-trnd/index.html

Nah I would just take those 39 blades embed them into a bat and start out a neighborhood night watch with some likeminded neighbours. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Freedom of speech, just watch what you say.

Report: Employees threaten to strike if Spotify refuses to censor Joe Rogan

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/9/24/21454543/report-employees-threaten-strike-spotify-refuses-censor-joe-rogan-mma

too funny. Good luck not getting fired for striking over that. Joe's a big boy, he'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

too funny. Good luck not getting fired for striking over that. Joe's a big boy, he'll be fine. 

I suppose that depends on how wide spread the strike is in the company. I'm surprised he and the Spotify brass didn't iron this out before signing. He must have thought ...100mil? no further questions.

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I suppose that depends on how wide spread the strike is in the company. I'm surprised he and the Spotify brass didn't iron this out before signing. He must have thought ...100mil? no further questions.

its a non issue imo. Joe's free to say what he wants. Spotify employees are free to complain and/or strike and/or quit. 

"trigger warnings" :lol: how about this, don't tune into Joe Rogan if you are afraid of being triggered?

The problem here imo is people co-opting legitimate ideas of cultural aggressions (e.g., cab drivers not stopping for black people) and transferring that to anything you don't happen to like. 

I like Rogan, sometimes he says dumb things. Sometimes he's bang on. But giving the offended the control over free speech is a line that shouldn't be crossed. We're all offended by something. 

Edited by Robert Long

23 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

its a non issue imo. Joe's free to say what he wants. Spotify employees are free to complain and/or strike and/or quit. 

"trigger warnings" :lol: how about this, don't tune into Joe Rogan if you are afraid of being triggered?

The problem here imo is people co-opting legitimate ideas of cultural aggressions (e.g., cab drivers not stopping for black people) and transferring that to anything you don't happen to like. 

I like Rogan, sometimes he says dumb things. Sometimes he's bang on. But giving the offended the control over free speech is a line that shouldn't be crossed. We're all offended by something. 

I do too.

Apparently recently he repeated some misinformation about the Portland fires. He apologised as soon as he could. Good stuff.

I think Spotify and Joe screwed this up in the first place. I think that originally Spotify was going to only list the episodes that they wanted but there was a bit of a backlash from his fans. So maybe they considered putting them all up? and now the employees have something to say...

What is interesting is that there are plenty of songs on Spotify that have lyrics that should curl some toe nails amongst the staff... but not a peep.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I do too.

Apparently recently he repeated some misinformation about the Portland fires. He apologised as soon as he could. Good stuff.

I think Spotify and Joe screwed this up in the first place. I think that originally Spotify was going to only list the episodes that they wanted but there was a bit of a backlash from his fans. So maybe they considered putting them all up? and now the employees have something to say...

What is interesting is that there are plenty of songs on Spotify that have lyrics that should curl some toe nails amongst the staff... but not a peep.

Cancel culture can't be given this much power. I blame the invertebrates running universities giving these people hope.