The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team stuck in cave...

kurtis

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hollywood already has this in pre production. Rumour has it will be Michael Bay directing this with a budget of 400 million for all the CGI and explosions.

I don't think that sense of humour is appropriate at this time.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think that sense of humour is appropriate at this time.

You’re right.  I enjoy humour, but there is nothing funny in this situation.  Hopefully all the kids, and their coach get out safely.  No need for a movie; we are all watching (and praying) in real time. 

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hollywood already has this in pre production. Rumour has it will be Michael Bay directing this with a budget of 400 million for all the CGI and explosions.

Oh yeah without question this is a movie in the making.

i am watching this closely too. It's the story and the fact that we are watching an active rescue of a described situation.  Elon Musk is sending the mini-sub and is working on a second one about 30cm shorter.  They may still need it if the weakest boys can't swim by themselves.   

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/tested-thailand-spacexs-makeshift-mini-sub-serve-space-escape-pod/

Meanwhile in Japan, over 100 people so far died in a flood, and their national guard is searching and evacuating survivors, but it doesn't make many headlines.  

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

i am watching this closely too. It's the story and the fact that we are watching an active rescue of a described situation.  Elon Musk is sending the mini-sub and is working on a second one about 30cm shorter.  They may still need it if the weakest boys can't swim by themselves.   

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/tested-thailand-spacexs-makeshift-mini-sub-serve-space-escape-pod/

Meanwhile in Japan, over 100 people so far died in a flood, and their national guard is searching and evacuating survivors, but it doesn't make many headlines.  

The Japan floods have been in the mainstream news for a couple of days here.

Surprised to see that's not the case in Canada.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:12 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

I know the situation from when they were found onwards. The articles I read didn't say why they were in the cave to start with. Why would an entire team visit a cave known for its depth during the rainy season? 

The monsoon season in that part of Thailand doesn't normally start until mid July and entry to the cave is only prohibited from July onwards. They've been in there since June 23rd. They were caught out by flash flooding while exploring the cave and were pushed further and further in looking for higher ground and another way out. It's easy to blame the coach, especially with the west's obsession with blame culture, but I don't think that's really fair in these circumstances.

An additional factor is the lack of health and safety regulations in Thailand, whether that be on the roads or at tourist attractions. One of my most memorable moments in Bangkok was being on the back of a motorcycle taxi desperately trying to make a train on time and praying for my life as we dodged other cars and buses switching lanes without even looking at who was in them :lol: There simply isn't the same concern as in the west, although I'm sure that there will be greatly increased focus on cave safety following this incident.

5 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The monsoon season in that part of Thailand doesn't normally start until mid July and entry to the cave is only prohibited from July onwards. They've been in there since June 23rd. They were caught out by flash flooding while exploring the cave and were pushed further and further in looking for higher ground and another way out. It's easy to blame the coach, especially with the west's obsession with blame culture, but I don't think that's really fair in these circumstances.

An additional factor is the lack of health and safety regulations in Thailand, whether that be on the roads or at tourist attractions. One of my most memorable moments in Bangkok was being on the back of a motorcycle taxi desperately trying to make a train on time and praying for my life as we dodged other cars and buses switching lanes without even looking at who was in them :lol: There simply isn't the same concern as in the west, although I'm sure that there will be greatly increased focus on cave safety following this incident.

I have also taken a motorcycle taxi in Bangkok. I think a requirement to drive a motorcycle taxi is a total disregard for human life.

Once was enough for me. Never again. I'll gladly breath in the filth from a tuk tuk over that.

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have also taken a motorcycle taxi in Bangkok. I think a requirement to drive a motorcycle taxi is a total disregard for human life.

Once was enough for me. Never again. I'll gladly breath in the filth from a tuk tuk over that.

I remember pulling up at a junction, looking beside me at the family of 4 with a baby on one bike and wondering how on earth it was possible.

12 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I remember pulling up at a junction, looking beside me at the family of 4 with a baby on one bike and wondering how on earth it was possible.

6 people and the family dog..........

873a5315bc469a1805d6cb09419215fb.jpg

"The kids don't need helmets, they have skulls."

edit: pardon me, 2 dogs.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's ok. Nobody here is personally affected in any way either. Plus, comedy comes from pain, as the roast master general himself said. 

It's not really about being affected or not...there are children at risk here and they're not even finished the attempts to get them out so it's bad timing.  

Archived