The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Newest) 2018-2019 Time Capsule thread

Canorth

On August 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Samgagner'sface said:

Canucks come out of the gate strong and remain in the top 10 in the league after the first 20 games. Sutter gets injured between games 20 and 25 and the Canucks go on a 5 game losing streak. Virtanen gets the flu and unknowingly distributes it through the locker room. The team is then made up of a large portion of Utica for a month and win a few games, but ultimately fall out of playoff contention by February. Jim Benning proceeds to sell off vets for picks at the deadline and the Canucks finish 24th and lose the lottery, but stil get a top 10 pick 

Apart from the virt flu joke I was pretty close. No selling of vets as they were either hurt or edler. We held on to playoff hopes a bit longer than I thought we would, partly because of how weak the competition was. We'll see about the pick

On 9/27/2018 at 6:51 PM, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Here goes:

- Pettersson wins calder if he loses it will be a travesty

- Canucks finish last and finally win the draft lottery, reuniting the Hughes brothers and signing them both here in Vancouver wrong

- Brock scores 35-40 goals and makes Benning look bad for not signing him to a contract this summer, the new contract costs more than it should have wrong, but still think Benning should have gotten the contract done earlier, his next deal value went up with his strong play in the last month of the season 

- Horvat named Captain at some point this year or right after the season ends wrong but still think he will be the captain for next year

- Gaudette and Joulevi are full time players after the trade deadline and some players are moved out would have been right if not for Joulevi’s injury

- Demko plays some games this year, looks good and leads the Comets to the finals 1/2 right

- one of this summer free agent signings is traded, not a good look around the league but with one of Jake, Goldy, Motte or Leipsic taking their spot is inevitable  wrong

- Some of the vets are traded at or before the trade deadline, Sutter, Tanev, Del Zotto, or maybe Gudbranson won’t finish the year in Vancouver got DelZotto and Gudbranson right

- Virtanen scores 15 and finally puts it together looking like the power forward we all thought he could be glad to say I was right on this one

- Edler finally waves his no trade and Benning surprises us with the return this one hurts 

- Benning picks up 2 2-3 round draft picks and another couple solid prospects at the trade deadline oh boy, didn’t expect this to be wrong

Around the league/AHL

- San Jose wins the cup :angry: beating Tampa 

- Mcdavid wins art ross and MVP

- Ovechkin wins rocket Richard 

Well this was fun, there’s always next year

On 7/9/2018 at 8:12 PM, Sygvard said:

Reserved

On 7/9/2018 at 8:20 PM, Pears said:

Reserved

On 7/9/2018 at 9:13 PM, Darius said:

reserved.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:48 PM, Deathbyoompa said:

Preserved

On 8/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Reserved

On 9/19/2018 at 1:33 PM, kilgore said:

Virtanen finally gets serious about his career and has a monster year

Canucks management is forced to award Bo the C half ways through the year, because it is just too embarrassing for them not to anymore,  getting so much grief from fans with how well he is leading the team.

Boeser cracks 45 goals.

Pettersson is everything we could have dreamed, but doesn't win the Calder as the eastern sports media has already made their minds up and awarded it to Dahlin by Christmas.

Eriksson goes from the first line, to the second, to the third, until mercifully he gets injured and is out for the rest of the season, making room for a player like Gadjovich. Addition by subtraction.

Surprisingly, to most, Canucks are in a playoff position at the TD. JB is still able to dump underperformers Gagner, Granlund, for picks.

With our late surge to the season, we make the playoffs, and Hughes, after setting records for Michigan, is added to the mix for the playoffs.

Which proves to be the final piece to the puzzle, Canucks go all the way. We win the Stanley #@%&#@* Cup! 

Side note: Eriksson is finally healthy for the last few games of the Final, has some kind of epiphany, charged up from all the ridicule, he scores the winning goal to end the series.

I trust in Oracle Laura. She predicted last December on 650 that either last season or this season we win.  Hey I admit it, my blind sick obsession with this team winning something is making me reach for anything right now. Go to the 5 min. mark:

http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_demand/Oracle-Laura-on-Starting-Lineup-sl-20171124-Interview.mp3

And a final prediction, of which I was spot on last year (with seven)......Five posters will end up with a prediction of "Reserved"

Go Canucks Go!!!

:frantic:

WOO HOO!  Exactly spot on again, two years in a row!

(Okay technically one of them is "preserved", but hey)

On 9/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, gizmo2337 said:

-Canucks miss the playoffs, finish last place

Missed on that one. The young guys took us farther than I thought. And Marky excelled in the second half.

-Pettersson keeps the games worth watching (20G, 35A)

Exceeded my best prediction with 28G 38A. He definitely kept the games worth watching is an understatement!

-Horvat takes over leadership of the team

Nailed it.

-Boeser has a slow start, but has a hot second half of the season (25G, 20A)

Close call. He finished up with 26G, 30A. His second half was definitely better.

-DiPietro passes Demko on depth chart as our most promising goaltender

Missed on that one.

-Canuck fans will have a hard time realizing that this D is terrible, our G is well below average, and we cant score at F. Future maybe not as bright as we think.

The D was indeed terrible. Marky though surprised very much, especially in the second half. With a new look D for next year, I think the future is now brighter than I thought.

-Despite good odds, we miss out at the draft lottery and drop to 3rd pick

We didn't finish last. However, if we get 3rd pick, I'd be pretty happy.

-Tank GDT returns by Xmas

Team tank was very much still alive this year.

-TDL brings us at most 1 or 2  5th,6th round picks.

One 6th round pick in the Nilsson trade, but it came before the TDL.

-Pittsburgh vs Sharks for the cup - Sharks win first cup.

tbd

On 8/20/2018 at 3:53 PM, EdgarM said:

Bo and Boes welcome the new offense minutes and continue putting up the points. They both improve over last year. Right

Petterson is paired with Goldobin and /or Baertchi and they benefit with legit 2nd line points Did not foresee Petey playing with Boes or Baertchi's injury.

Virtanen continues to grow and shows a little offense in his game. Right

The new FA's improve the PK and free up Granlund and Sutter to put up better offensive numbers. Right but did not foresee Sutter injury

Gaudette starts in Utica as does OJ and Dahlen. Right

One of Poiliot or Hutton is traded before the season is out. I am sure Pouliot was on the block but there was no takers and I think Hutton was injured.

Markstrom improves with the new goalie coach and Demko outplays Nilsson by the trade deadline and Nilsson is traded. Right !!!!!!!!!!!!

The PP is improved with Boeser/Petterson/Bo. Edler finds out there is life after the Sedins. Right. It started out slow but improved towards the end of the year.

The team plays a more cohesive/assertive game. The team is beginning to build character and start to learn to play for each other. Right. Again started slow but improved as the year progressed.

A new Era begins. Right 

I think I got the majority of it right but missed on injuries and trades. Overall I think pretty accurate.::D

On 7/9/2018 at 8:45 PM, RWMc1 said:

I was going to project us near a wild card spot until our schedule came out. With our travel and a tough schedule, I see us at around the 25 spot with 6 teams lower than us. I kept up and downing on being close to a wild card!! I think it actually comes down to our goal-tending. Can Ian Clark raise the level of Markstrom and Nilsson enough to make that difference. Probably by later in the season just in time to mess with our draft position.   Pretty close.

After coming back from his 1st injury, Eriksson had 5 goals and 5 assists in 10 games before moving to the checking line. With the acquisition of our ufas, he will be used in a more offensive role. I can see him around 50 pts or more. Pettersson with 10 more points than Loui.  Way off on Loui. He went right back to matching up against the other teams top players. I had Pettersson at over 60, but stated it in a sneaky way. I should have just said it.

Boeser and Horvat will see the top defenders all season long. The book is out on Boeser shooting high most times. I think he will have to start shooting over the pads more to match last seasons output. 35 goals and 27 assists for Brockstar. 28 goals and 41 assists for Horvat. 25 goals and 32 assists for Baertschi. That line didn't stick together. Baertschi injured. Brock started slow. Bo was amazing considering he ended up playing against the top players from our opponents,

Sutter and Beagle are outstanding as shutdown players. Our pk is better by a fair margin. Close again. Sutter injured. Beagle as well.

Goldobin grows a pair and actually engages in board battles and even wins a couple. He even goes to the net front without the puck at least four times this season. Leipsic finally realizes that it's a team game and starts passing to his line mates before he runs out of room. Dare to dream. Sarcasm, but close to the mark. Goldy needs to man up and play in the tough areas if he wants to stick. Lip stick gone.

If all of our forwards commit to team defense, I can see our defenders having a better season. They finally started to play a better team game at the end of the season. Too little too late. Hopefully next season they start out with a team game and don't look back.

The whiners will continue to whine even though we are moving in the right direction. Media hacks will still look for whining angles and the local whiners will perpetuate them on CDC. Absolutely nailed this one. It was pretty much a gimme though. 

I was going to make more predictions,but the cut-off came before I could. Next season I will include my Playoff predictions as well.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, TimberWolf said:

The usual suspects of this site won't make any predictions and wait for the season to end explaining it went exactly how they thought :)

yup and they know who they are running around the forums acting like experts in everything except prediction, I suppose.

We'll have a bad team good start until Christmas where we start thinking about the draft again

Pretty much, we knew this team was going in the tank. I should have predicted we'd blame injuries and lack of depth again but even I didn't think we'd go for that hail mary 4 straight years

We'll miss the playoffs again no picks at the deadline (but not trade picks either)

Even benning isn't bad enough to trade picks this deadline. But is bad enough not to acquire any when we host the draft and are a bad team with the draft being the only thing to look forward to

Bo will be captain unless the nucks have the ridiculous notion to give it to Sutter

If Bo was drafted by benning, he'd be the captain already

EP will have flashes but will not be strong or durable enough to be in contention for rookie of the year. He'll need patience

EP turned out to be more resilient than I thought. Knew he'd be a player but no patience to see that emerge required, good job EP :canucks:

Defense will be bad, goaltending will be blamed

Always knew marky was good but holy crap did he carry the awful defense all year on his back

The new signings will not be memorable in any way

All replaceable if not for untradable contracts.

Overall I don't think any season objectives were met but EP and Hughes are nice additions. Hopefully a new team president will overhaul the management team. Even if we do have the youth of the future we still need a savvy trader, FA obtainer and team builder to fill in the gaps. None of which I believe the current management is capable of. (nope,  hitting on half your high picks when your team you made to win sucks doesn't make you a great GM, Even Edmonton pulled that off)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

TEAM

• Canucks will be in upper half of NHL in shots on goal but lower half in shooting percentage
  • Goals against average and save percentage for Canucks improves over last season
  • Canucks are in upper quarter of league in hits per game  
  • Canucks face-off percentage is above 50% for first time in several years
  • Canucks will exceed their points from last season - if they have their top 4 D who start season play at least 70 games each, they will top 84 points

PLAYERS

• Boeser will struggle at times but still put up a respectable 20-25 goals
  • EP will have an outstanding rookie season be third in team scoring and third in Calder voting....people will rave about his "complete" game
  • Gaudette will spend the season in Utica and find his scoring touch in the latter half of the season
  • Hughes will have a slow start in Michigan but catch fire and be a top 3 Hobey Baker
  • OJ will have a strong start to season but it will be in Utica but he will be with Canucks by Christmas and be a top 6 mainstay by end of season
  • Guddy will win over many who have been harsh on his being on the team

LEAGUE

• Edmonton will start stronger than last year but still hit a wall and look for answers in wrong locations
  • Toronto will be a great regular season team but not in May
  • Washington and Las Vegas will both have hangovers but Vegas one will be shorter
  • Crosby will have something to say about him not topping best player polls
  • Flames will confuse people for hot/cold play
  • Coyotes will be better than most people expect
  • Kings will be worse

My league-wide predictions were a little better than my Canuck specific (I didn't expect them to be top two injuries again) as OJ getting injured didn't help his ascension to the main club and Guddy being traded didn't help much either.    My thoughts on Edmonton, Toronto, Flames, Coyotes and Kings were all pretty predictable to me but I still feel nicely vindicated as (largely elsewhere) people did not agree with me.    Those who argued about how much better Edmonton would be or how Toronto and the Flames were built for the playoffs - do you really pay attention to hockey or just what others say about it?

On 7/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, MattJVD said:

Pettersson is a Calder finalist, over 60 points. We finish with ~5 more points than last year.

Julouvi plays more than 30 NHL games.

Baertchi sets career highs in all offensive categories.

Eriksson has his best season as a Canuck

Well the first part was right, the second was a huge miss.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 7:13 AM, mikeyman109 said:

RESERVED

tenor.gif?itemid=5376227

Ok here we go

Horvat leads the team in scoring , 30 goals and 40 assists- 70 points

Boeser scores 35 but doesnt have the assists total to match Horvat. 25 assists, 60 points

Petterson struggles at center, provides some offense but not what some people think he will get, 25 goals, 30 assists=55 points

Leipsic, Virtanen, Sutter Eriksson, all over achieve in points as the attention is on the aforementioned players.

Goldobin is waived by Christmas as he still cant score or defend.

Gaudette lights up the AHL and is brought up by Christmas as the team struggles to score

The power play gets more chances than last year but doesn't have the same success, no scoring from the D hurts the team again.

30 games in Green realizes the best way to use the D is to have Edler and Gudbranson together instead of trying to spread them through the lineup

Tanev and Hutton become a good pairing.

Biega and Juolevi end up in Vancouver by Christmas as the usual injury bug hits the D hard.

Markstrom plays well. keeping the Canucks in a lot of games but Nillsson cannot stop a beach ball again.

Canucks finish 37-35-10 for 84 points but still are not a wild card team.  we draft 12th.

Ok here we go

Horvat leads the team in scoring , 30 goals and 40 assists- 70 points missed 70 points but had to play way more D than expected with both Sutter and Beagle hurt. Make him the Captain

Boeser scores 35 but doesnt have the assists total to match Horvat. 25 assists, 60 points scored 26 goals and 56 points pretty close to 60

Petterson struggles at center, provides some offense but not what some people think he will get, 25 goals, 30 assists=55 points scored 28 out performed what i hoped for.

Leipsic, Virtanen, Sutter Eriksson, all over achieve in points as the attention is on the aforementioned players.Leipsic traded, Virtanen right, Sutter hurt and eriksson well ok hes done

Goldobin is waived by Christmas as he still cant score or defend. Still don't understand why this guy is still on the team

Gaudette lights up the AHL and is brought up by Christmas as the team struggles to score he was brought up but it was due to injuries. Half right

The power play gets more chances than last year but doesn't have the same success, no scoring from the D hurts the team again. I'm not sure on the PP chances but no scoring from the D is killing us.

30 games in Green realizes the best way to use the D is to have Edler and Gudbranson together instead of trying to spread them through the lineup Ok I blew this one

Tanev and Hutton become a good pairing. Stecher and Hutton were alright at times

Biega and Juolevi end up in Vancouver by Christmas as the usual injury bug hits the D hard. Biega played 41 games

Markstrom plays well. keeping the Canucks in a lot of games but Nillsson cannot stop a beach ball again. I am going to give my self this one Marky was great

Canucks finish 37-35-10 for 84 points but still are not a wild card team.  we draft 12th.This is pretty close. 81 points 5th in division and still not a wild card team

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 12:45 AM, Jaku said:

1. Boeser will score 43 goals and finish 3rd in goals scored in the NHL.

2. Boeser will be one of 3 Canucks to finish with 60 + points and one of two to finish with 70+ points. I'm going to say 72 points. (43 goals, 29 assists)

3. Elias Pettersson will have an unreal rookie season. He will be in the running for the Calder. He will be second in scoring on the Canucks with 70 points (22 goals, 48 assists) 

4. Bo Horvat will be the third member of the Canucks to break the 60 point plateau with 63 points (27 goals, 36 assists). 

5. Olli Juolevi will only play 20 games for the Canucks. The rest of the year will be in Utica. 

6. Quinn Hughes will also be in Utica for most of the season. He will play 35 games for the Canucks.

7. Tanev gets traded.

8. Baertschi gets traded.

1.  Brock did not score 43 goals. 26 actually scored.

2. Brock scored 58 points

3. Elias had 66 points (28 goals, 38 assists) he is going to win the Calder, and he led the Canucks in scoring.

4. Bo did score over 60 points(61). He also finished with 27 goals but 34 assists. Only off by 2 points.

5. Olli barely played for Utica this season.

6. University and a handful of pro games.

7. He did not.

8. He also did not.

Couple right predicitons. This was fun! I look forward to next season.

Archived