The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal report calls for special treatment of immigrants

RottenCanuck22

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Report:  Women with poor english skills given opportunities to succeed where young canadian males completely failed to succeed

LOL exactly!!

Immigrants and global cabals are holding them all down dont you know ;P For people who are so against social services and helping others, they sure want everything handed to them on a platter. Used to be called laziness and apathy and these fools would call it conservatism.. 

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Opinion pieces without verification are just opinion pieces.  Doesn't matter who they are speaking of.  I can't find much actual evidence of this outside of her opinion column.  While she may be correct.  Without any corresponding evidence 

Meh

Well, it is more than an opinion piece WH - Sweden have had this program for a while and Canada 150 through the Prime Minister's office launched this a while ago.

From Canada Beyond 150 - Feminist Government  :

Social Impact Bond for Newcomer Career Advancement

Quality job opportunities have both economic and social benefits for immigrants and refugees. Working at a higher level than “survival jobs” prevents de-skilling and can lead to higher pay, while building professional and social networks and encouraging wellbeing.

Vision

The Government of Canada could promote supporting newcomers with various skill levels and abilities, by providing small and medium-sized businesses with financial incentives for hiring newcomers and supporting their professional development.

An approach using Social Impact Bonds (SIBs), targeting small and medium-sized businesses, could be designed to promote two outcomes:

Initial hires: Employers would collaborate with third parties, such as employment agencies, to prepare and match newcomers with job opportunities to increase hiring of newcomers by small and-medium sized firms.

Job laddering: Employers would facilitate work-related learning opportunities for newcomers in their employ to be “laddered” into higher-skilled jobs, turning their entry-level positions into launch pads for career paths.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Sad but true.

When people claim that somehow immigrants have taken jobs, positions or opportunities away from them I seriously question how stupid they are.

IN that:  A person, born elsewhere, with a questionable education and rudimentary grasp of the English language somehow someway managed to obtain and succeed in a position that THEy had the ability to train for, go to school for, receive government assistance in qualifying for yet failed to do 

Yes...immigrants are getting hand held opportunities that somehow someway you weren't people

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, it is more than an opinion piece WH - Sweden have had this program for a while and Canada 150 through the Prime Minister's office launched this a while ago.

From Canada Beyond 150 - Feminist Government  :

Social Impact Bond for Newcomer Career Advancement

Quality job opportunities have both economic and social benefits for immigrants and refugees. Working at a higher level than “survival jobs” prevents de-skilling and can lead to higher pay, while building professional and social networks and encouraging wellbeing.

Vision

The Government of Canada could promote supporting newcomers with various skill levels and abilities, by providing small and medium-sized businesses with financial incentives for hiring newcomers and supporting their professional development.

An approach using Social Impact Bonds (SIBs), targeting small and medium-sized businesses, could be designed to promote two outcomes:

Initial hires: Employers would collaborate with third parties, such as employment agencies, to prepare and match newcomers with job opportunities to increase hiring of newcomers by small and-medium sized firms.

Job laddering: Employers would facilitate work-related learning opportunities for newcomers in their employ to be “laddered” into higher-skilled jobs, turning their entry-level positions into launch pads for career paths.

Actually it IS an opinion piece and the person literally 1 post after me pointed out exactly why it was erroneous and completely taken out of context

Thank you @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

That Toronto Sun article is just terrible.

It claims the report “sat unnoticed in a dark corner of the Government of Canada website until uncovered by Tom Korski, a journalist with Blacklock’s Reporter.”

Really?

The same report that you can easily find here:

http://www.canadabeyond150.ca/assets/reports/FemGov - EN.pdf

And the same report that was tweeted about here (including a full text link):

Yup, Twitter and the official web page for Canada Beyond 150. Sure sounds like some “dark corner of the Government of Canada website.”

I’d encourage people to read the actual report instead of the Sun article. I’m sure some of you will still be upset by it, but at least you’ll be getting upset over the actual contents of the report.

Not that the article doesn’t include a few paragraphs from the report. The quotes themselves are accurate.

It’s just a little easier to digest the contents and stay objective when you read the full report itself, rather than just a few snippets framed around the author’s dog whistling about immigrants in “Justin Trudeau’s Canada.”

Also, it would probably have helped if the Sun writer had bothered to read the first paragraph found in every report from Canada Beyond 150:

“This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.
Instead, it records the work of a sub-group of new public servants who participated in Canada Beyond 150,
a professional development program co-championed by the Privy Council Office and Policy Horizons Canada. The program was designed to support the development of new public servants, and to drive a culture change within the public service. The participants were invited to use foresight, design thinking
and engagement tools to explore policy issues relating to diversity and inclusion.”

That first sentence is kinda important, so I’ll quote it again:

This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.”

The Sun writer kind of glosses over that point (or at least buries it pretty deep into the story).

And, as the reports clearly indicate, these policy proposals were actually written by “new public servants” and not people from “the highest levels of public service” as claimed in the article. In fact, these reports were the result of a “10-month professional development program” through the Canada School of Public Service where “participants experimented with new approaches and tools to support open policy making and address future policy challenges.”

Canada Beyond 150 actually put out seven reports. They’re all easily accessible here:

http://canadabeyond150.ca/reports/

Announcements and fulltext links for all seven reports were also put out via Twitter.

And just for an idea of what the others are like, the one entitled Sustainable Development Goals is about “creating an effective ecolabelling system” for the “environmental impact and sustainability of products throughout their life cycle” based on “an algorithm to translate data from the supply chain and grade it according to metrics.”

Yeah, like that’s actually happening anytime soon.

Still, I'd better be careful not to say much more about these reports. I could unintentionally end up writing the Sun’s next story for them. I’m sure it’ll include several catchy “Welcome to Justin Trudeau’s Canada” refrains.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Actually it IS an opinion piece and the person literally 1 post after me pointed out exactly why it was erroneous and completely taken out of context

Thank you @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

It claims the report “sat unnoticed in a dark corner of the Government of Canada website until uncovered by Tom Korski, a journalist with Blacklock’s Reporter.”

Really?

Yup, Twitter and the official web page for Canada Beyond 150. Sure sounds like some “dark corner of the Government of Canada website.”

I’d encourage people to read the actual report instead of the Sun article. I’m sure some of you will still be upset by it, but at least you’ll be getting upset over the actual contents of the report.

Not that the article doesn’t include a few paragraphs from the report. The quotes themselves are accurate.

It’s just a little easier to digest the contents and stay objective when you read the full report itself, rather than just a few snippets framed around the author’s dog whistling about immigrants in “Justin Trudeau’s Canada.”

Also, it would probably have helped if the Sun writer had bothered to read the first paragraph found in every report from Canada Beyond 150:

“This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.
Instead, it records the work of a sub-group of new public servants who participated in Canada Beyond 150,
a professional development program co-championed by the Privy Council Office and Policy Horizons Canada. The program was designed to support the development of new public servants, and to drive a culture change within the public service. The participants were invited to use foresight, design thinking
and engagement tools to explore policy issues relating to diversity and inclusion.”

This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.”

The Sun writer kind of glosses over that point (or at least buries it pretty deep into the story).

And, as the reports clearly indicate, these policy proposals were actually written by “new public servants” and not people from “the highest levels of public service” as claimed in the article. In fact, these reports were the result of a “10-month professional development program” through the Canada School of Public Service where “participants experimented with new approaches and tools to support open policy making and address future policy challenges.”

Canada Beyond 150 actually put out seven reports. They’re all easily accessible here:

Announcements and fulltext links for all seven reports were also put out via Twitter.

And just for an idea of what the others are like, the one entitled Sustainable Development Goals is about “creating an effective ecolabelling system” for the “environmental impact and sustainability of products throughout their life cycle” based on “an algorithm to translate data from the supply chain and grade it according to metrics.”

Still, I'd better be careful not to say much more about these reports. I could unintentionally end up writing the Sun’s next story for them. I’m sure it’ll include several catchy “Welcome to Justin Trudeau’s Canada” refrains.

I didn't read the Sun article, I thought you were implying the article was fabricating through opinion that such a program existed and/or was proposed by the PM's office.   That has been the case for a while - I don't know why it is news now.   Sweden enacted something similar - it hasn't been a glowing success by any means but maybe in Canada it will work.  Who knows.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

When people claim that somehow immigrants have taken jobs, positions or opportunities away from them I seriously question how stupid they are.

IN that:  A person, born elsewhere, with a questionable education and rudimentary grasp of the English language somehow someway managed to obtain and succeed in a position that THEy had the ability to train for, go to school for, receive government assistance in qualifying for yet failed to do 

Yes...immigrants are getting hand held opportunities that somehow someway you weren't people

It's one of those "the world is out to get you" type beliefs.

The world probably doesn't know who you are. If you're qualified/skilled enough, immigrants and more diversity shouldn't scare you.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Report:  Women with poor english skills given opportunities to succeed where young canadian males completely failed to succeed

It's a good thing I am no longer young then or I just may feel gosh darn threatened by those displaced humes.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I mean I can’t say I haven’t seen a version of this in that I’ve seen some “crews” do work “under the table” and hence I’ve lost bids and as a result contracts, based on charging tax alone.

i wish I could say it’s a one off but it’s not.  And can “canadian“ workers do this? And do they? Absolutely.

but to say there is a level playing field all of the time would be false.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't read the Sun article, I thought you were implying the article was fabricating through opinion that such a program existed and/or was proposed by the PM's office.   That has been the case for a while - I don't know why it is news now.   Sweden enacted something similar - it hasn't been a glowing success by any means but maybe in Canada it will work.  Who knows.

No, I read the article and was responding to the article.

The "author" cited no actual credible link, gave no basis other than opinion and backed up none of what she wrote let alone managed to effectively pin this on the government outside of claiming that said office reports directly to the PMO (heads up...all offices report directly to the PMO< has been that way since Harper channeled it all through the PMO's desk back in 2009)

I will read anything and listen to anyones argument.  But opinion pieces being passed off as fact piss me off

this is old news   ,   go to a government office and see how many programs , training. money and grants you can get being a new Canadian but as a tax paying Canadian citizen I get no access to any of this ,  and here I thought Canada is suppose to be  about equality what a crock   

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Opinion pieces without verification are just opinion pieces.  Doesn't matter who they are speaking of.  I can't find much actual evidence of this outside of her opinion column.  While she may be correct.  Without any corresponding evidence 

Meh

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Really?

And, as the reports clearly indicate, these policy proposals were actually written by “new public servants” and not people from “the highest levels of public service” as claimed in the article. In fact, these reports were the result of a “10-month professional development program” through the Canada School of Public Service where “participants experimented with new approaches and tools to support open policy making and address future policy challenges.”

Guess you didn't look very hard, hip.

As long as it's not official government policy things should be good.

19 minutes ago, the grinder said:

this is old news   ,   go to a government office and see how many programs , training. money and grants you can get being a new Canadian but as a tax paying Canadian citizen I get no access to any of this ,  and here I thought Canada is suppose to be  about equality what a crock   

That's called school, scholarships, and student loans. All of which are very much available to people born in Canada. 

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

It's one of those "the world is out to get you" type beliefs.

The world probably doesn't know who you are. If you're qualified/skilled enough, immigrants and more diversity shouldn't scare you.

Good point however the previous government introducing the TFW program was terrible for many Canadians. Paying non Canadians 90% of what a Canadian makes only helps to drive wages down. TBH it's hard to believe such a program would take place in a Country like Canada.

19 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's called school, scholarships, and student loans. All of which are very much available to people born in Canada. 

Yep. When I got laid off from my construction job in 2009 I qualified for schooling through EI. It wasn't just handed to me, though. I had to jump through a few hoops to make it happen, but as a normal Canadian taxpayer it was a program that certainly was available to me.

I also changed all the windows and upgraded the insulation in my house a few years back, thanks to a program that refunded about 60% of the costs to me. Again, there were several requirements that I had to fulfill, but to suggest there's nothing available to non-immigrants is just lazy and incorrect.

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

As long as it's not official government policy things should be good.

It’s really far from actual GoC policy.

Canada Beyond 150 is a group of young policy analysts and futurists working within the civil service. They were tasked with investigating several topics over a ten month period and to come up with a set of reports detailing policy recommendations. The group was put together by Policy Horizons Canada, on behalf of the Privy Council. Michael Wernick, the Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet, describes Canada Beyond 150 as “a test kitchen for policy development and the public service of the future.” 

It’s also not the first time newspaper articles have misrepresented the role of the Privy Council Office in relation to the PMO.

Here’s an excellent letter from 10 years ago that makes my point more concisely and eloquently than I could:

I congratulate the Toronto Star for initiating a six-part series examining the secrecy that typifies the operation of the current federal government. I was astonished, however, to see the Privy Council Office referred to as "the bureaucratic wing of the Prime Minister's Office," "a wing of the Prime Minister's Office" and "the bureaucratic branch of the PMO."

Your readers have been left with a message that the PCO is subordinate to the PMO. In fact, the Privy Council Office is the Cabinet Secretariat and is responsible to provide, on behalf of the public service, expert and non-partisan advice to the Prime Minister and cabinet.

The PMO is a separate central agency that "stands apart from the other central agencies in that it is staffed by partisan supporters of the government in power rather than by non-partisan public servants."

That quote is from the third edition of Understanding Canadian Public Administration: An Introduction to Theory and Practice, written by my colleague, Greg Inwood.

Neil Thomlinson, Chair, Department of Politics and Public Administration,

Ryerson University, Toronto

So when the Sun writer suggests the authors of the report come from “within the prime minister’s own department” and “report directly to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau,” he’s, at best, being ignorant and factually inaccurate, and, at worst (and much more likely IMO), seeking to rile people up by deliberately misrepresenting the report.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. When I got laid off from my construction job in 2009 I qualified for schooling through EI. It wasn't just handed to me, though. I had to jump through a few hoops to make it happen, but as a normal Canadian taxpayer it was a program that certainly was available to me.

I also changed all the windows and upgraded the insulation in my house a few years back, thanks to a program that refunded about 60% of the costs to me. Again, there were several requirements that I had to fulfill, but to suggest there's nothing available to non-immigrants is just lazy and incorrect.

Huh, that sounds similar to me when I was 19 and realized that I didn't want to be a cook the rest of my life; so I applied to college and took out student loans. I had to work my ass off in the process but the government was totally on board with paying my way through school. 

Archived