The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal report calls for special treatment of immigrants

RottenCanuck22

Opinion pieces without verification are just opinion pieces.  Doesn't matter who they are speaking of.  I can't find much actual evidence of this outside of her opinion column.  While she may be correct.  Without any corresponding evidence 

Meh

That Toronto Sun article is just terrible.

It claims the report “sat unnoticed in a dark corner of the Government of Canada website until uncovered by Tom Korski, a journalist with Blacklock’s Reporter.”

Really?

The same report that you can easily find here:

http://www.canadabeyond150.ca/assets/reports/FemGov - EN.pdf

And the same report that was tweeted about here (including a full text link):

Yup, Twitter and the official web page for Canada Beyond 150. Sure sounds like some “dark corner of the Government of Canada website.”

I’d encourage people to read the actual report instead of the Sun article. I’m sure some of you will still be upset by it, but at least you’ll be getting upset over the actual contents of the report.

Not that the article doesn’t include a few paragraphs from the report. The quotes themselves are accurate.

It’s just a little easier to digest the contents and stay objective when you read the full report itself, rather than just a few snippets framed around the author’s dog whistling about immigrants in “Justin Trudeau’s Canada.”

Also, it would probably have helped if the Sun writer had bothered to read the first paragraph found in every report from Canada Beyond 150:

“This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.
Instead, it records the work of a sub-group of new public servants who participated in Canada Beyond 150,
a professional development program co-championed by the Privy Council Office and Policy Horizons Canada. The program was designed to support the development of new public servants, and to drive a culture change within the public service. The participants were invited to use foresight, design thinking
and engagement tools to explore policy issues relating to diversity and inclusion.”

That first sentence is kinda important, so I’ll quote it again:

This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.”

The Sun writer kind of glosses over that point (or at least buries it pretty deep into the story).

And, as the reports clearly indicate, these policy proposals were actually written by “new public servants” and not people from “the highest levels of public service” as claimed in the article. In fact, these reports were the result of a “10-month professional development program” through the Canada School of Public Service where “participants experimented with new approaches and tools to support open policy making and address future policy challenges.”

Canada Beyond 150 actually put out seven reports. They’re all easily accessible here:

http://canadabeyond150.ca/reports/

Announcements and fulltext links for all seven reports were also put out via Twitter.

And just for an idea of what the others are like, the one entitled Sustainable Development Goals is about “creating an effective ecolabelling system” for the “environmental impact and sustainability of products throughout their life cycle” based on “an algorithm to translate data from the supply chain and grade it according to metrics.”

Yeah, like that’s actually happening anytime soon.

Still, I'd better be careful not to say much more about these reports. I could unintentionally end up writing the Sun’s next story for them. I’m sure it’ll include several catchy “Welcome to Justin Trudeau’s Canada” refrains.

6 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

None of this even remotely amazes me anymore. This guy has single handedly ripped any shred of tradition and identity from this country. Just send them all back so Canadians can start being Canadian again.

It would be interesting if 'we' all went 'back where we came from'. I have a French sourced surname that is somewhat well used in the UK, but my family roots are 200 years in Africa and 100 years of UK/ Malta/ Canada. I'm sure if I went back to France, UK or Africa, I'd be told to 'sod off'/'voetsek' or however the French impolitely say go away !

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Why didn't the journalist provide a link to the said report? So people can make an informed opinion. 

I'll take a stab at that one:

Editorially, the paper frequently follows the positions of traditional Canadian/British conservatism and neo-conservatism in the United States on economic issues. Editorials typically promote individualism, self-reliance, the police, and a strong military and support for troops. Editorials typically condemn high taxes and, most of all, perceived government waste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Sun

If Fox News was a Canadian newspaper and JT was Barrack Obama.....

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Stopped reading at "gender pay gap".

In hindsight, I should have stopped reading at "Feminist Government".

Some interns or summer students write something and now it's federal policy. I know some of you are just desperate to let your issues out in the open, but come on. 

The NHL retweets players sometimes, I guess that makes Kopitars dog an official NHL news source. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That Toronto Sun article is just terrible.

It claims the report “sat unnoticed in a dark corner of the Government of Canada website until uncovered by Tom Korski, a journalist with Blacklock’s Reporter.”

Really?

Yup, Twitter and the official web page for Canada Beyond 150. Sure sounds like some “dark corner of the Government of Canada website.”

I’d encourage people to read the actual report instead of the Sun article. I’m sure some of you will still be upset by it, but at least you’ll be getting upset over the actual contents of the report.

Not that the article doesn’t include a few paragraphs from the report. The quotes themselves are accurate.

It’s just a little easier to digest the contents and stay objective when you read the full report itself, rather than just a few snippets framed around the author’s dog whistling about immigrants in “Justin Trudeau’s Canada.”

Also, it would probably have helped if the Sun writer had bothered to read the first paragraph found in every report from Canada Beyond 150:

“This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.
Instead, it records the work of a sub-group of new public servants who participated in Canada Beyond 150,
a professional development program co-championed by the Privy Council Office and Policy Horizons Canada. The program was designed to support the development of new public servants, and to drive a culture change within the public service. The participants were invited to use foresight, design thinking
and engagement tools to explore policy issues relating to diversity and inclusion.”

That first sentence is kinda important, so I’ll quote it again:

This document does not represent an official policy position of the Government of Canada.”

The Sun writer kind of glosses over that point (or at least buries it pretty deep into the story).

And, as the reports clearly indicate, these policy proposals were actually written by “new public servants” and not people from “the highest levels of public service” as claimed in the article. In fact, these reports were the result of a “10-month professional development program” through the Canada School of Public Service where “participants experimented with new approaches and tools to support open policy making and address future policy challenges.”

Canada Beyond 150 actually put out seven reports. They’re all easily accessible here:

http://canadabeyond150.ca/reports/

Announcements and fulltext links for all seven reports were also put out via Twitter.

And just for an idea of what the others are like, the one entitled Sustainable Development Goals is about “creating an effective ecolabelling system” for the “environmental impact and sustainability of products throughout their life cycle” based on “an algorithm to translate data from the supply chain and grade it according to metrics.”

Yeah, like that’s actually happening anytime soon.

Still, I'd better be careful not to say much more about these reports. I could unintentionally end up writing the Sun’s next story for them. I’m sure it’ll include several catchy “Welcome to Justin Trudeau’s Canada” refrains.

Seeing the dog whistle progression between what the report actually says and this thread itself is fascinating. 

9 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

None of this even remotely amazes me anymore. This guy has single handedly ripped any shred of tradition and identity from this country. Just send them all back so Canadians can start being Canadian again.

if all it takes is a report on a meeting to shed you of your identify I'd say you have bigger issues 

Archived