The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victim Mentality - Universities teaching to see bias here there is none

Rob_Zepp

9 hours ago, gurn said:

The pepper spray, as I don't want to accidently shoot anyone, but especially not my family. That is if I even have one that is at my home.

I remember debating this subject years ago on this forum. The amount of gun owners in the states who shoot their loved ones coming home late at night thinking they were intruders blew me away.

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

My hockey stick. That is in my bedroom, not because of fear, just to remind me of the game I love.  I have never owned pepper spray, taser or a gun. I feel totally safe in my home and community.

Same as me. I actually have old hockey sticks sitting around all over the place at my house, not really for that purpose, but they'd come in handy if anyone did break in.

I wouldn't have a gun in my house, so the old Sher-Wood would be my weapon of choice.

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

Again:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder"

A cop "screwing up" (your words) is not "oppression".

I'm not sure why you seem to be bending over backwards to try to make a link between Botham Jean's death and Kaepernick's protests - before all the evidence is in.

I can’t speak for the victim, but if it were me in Jean’s shoes, I would certainly feel I was being wronged by the police if a uniformed cop shot me in my home for (from my perception) no reason. 

Surely, with a bit of empathy, you can find the connection between that situation and Kaepernick taking a knee?

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Same as me. I actually have old hockey sticks sitting around all over the place at my house, not really for that purpose, but they'd come in handy if anyone did break in.

I wouldn't have a gun in my house, so the old Sher-Wood would be my weapon of choice.

I keep all my skis except the ones I gave to friends who could not afford their own. The memories they evoke far outweigh any money.

5 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I can’t speak for the victim, but if it were me in Jean’s shoes, I would certainly feel I was being wronged by the police if a uniformed cop shot me in my home for (from my perception) no reason. 

Surely, with a bit of empathy, you can find the connection between that situation and Kaepernick taking a knee?

I have plenty of empathy, I just don't like jumping to conclusions so quickly.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Please, explain it for me. Because I'm not the one refusing to see the correlation between a protest over the shooting of unarmed black men by police and a black man being shot to death by a police officer. 

Again, it could be what Kaepernick is protesting - but it could just be that the cop made a terrible mistake.

22 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Exactly.  I was giving Herr a lesson in generalization/stereotyping - but I'm done now.  

Rather than derail the other thread, I thought I'd take things here since you apparently want to keep having this debate. 

Please point out where I said all cops are oppressors. I have not said anything of the sort here. What I have said is a specific case relates to Kaepernick's protests but you can't seem to understand that. 

Back on topic:

Victimhood Culture has taken over college campuses

Victimhood culture has overtaken college campuses

| May 10, 2018 01:07 PM

Surprised woman reading book in eyeglasses
College culture has become engulfed in this mentality that everything is offensive in some way or form.

While college should be a time of intellectual discovery, microaggressions and safe spaces have come to dominate higher education. Campuses have increasingly transitioned from a place of intellectual growth to a place promoting victimhood culture.

“Victimhood is a culture where an individual’s status as a victim elevates him or her to the moral high ground. Its hallmarks are taking offense in microaggressions, shouting down controversial speakers, and demanding ‘safe spaces,’” writes Anthony Hennen of the James G. Martin Center.

Unfortunately, university administrators have turned this value system, held by both professors and students, into an acceptable system of violence. Where intellectual curiosity should be encouraged, college campuses have recently seen an intellectual divide: camp A, where exploration of ideas matters, and camp B, where victimhood culture is king.

Those who identify with the Left seem to routinely care more about the identity of a speaker rather than that speaker’s viewpoints or merits. In some instances, yes, what makes a person unique is their ethnicity, race, or geographic allegiance. However, in most cases it is intellectual diversity that makes a speaker worthy of attention. Sadly, many on the Left on college campuses have increasingly become more obsessed with identity politics and no longer have an interest in stepping outside of their ideological comfort zones to experiencing new ideas.

This victimhood culture has been taken to the extreme. In one case at the University of Florida, administrators notified students that a 24-hour counseling hotline was available for anyone who felt offended by Halloween costumes. Other colleges “in an attempt to pre-empt the psychological threat of offensive costumes” created and distributed Halloween costume guidelines “to help students make appropriate choices if they decide to dress up.”

College culture has become engulfed in this mentality that everything is offensive in some way or form. While students should be able to brush off a costume they may not like, victimhood culture has all but demonized an entire tradition for the sake of one’s potential feelings.

Colleges have grown into a breeding ground for victims by propping up an over-sensitive campus climate. While college should be a time to expand a student’s way of thinking, colleges have turned to censoring ideas that are often deemed “too controversial.” Instead of caving to leftist demands, administrators should stand up for freedom of speech. They should prop up the individual and explain that victimhood mentality and collectivism does nothing to empower or enrich students’ lives. Without a bold stand, victimhood culture will only grow.

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Back on topic:

College culture has become engulfed in this mentality that everything is offensive in some way or form.

While college should be a time of intellectual discovery, microaggressions and safe spaces have come to dominate higher education. Campuses have increasingly transitioned from a place of intellectual growth to a place promoting victimhood culture.

“Victimhood is a culture where an individual’s status as a victim elevates him or her to the moral high ground. Its hallmarks are taking offense in microaggressions, shouting down controversial speakers, and demanding ‘safe spaces,’” writes Anthony Hennen of the James G. Martin Center.

Unfortunately, university administrators have turned this value system, held by both professors and students, into an acceptable system of violence. Where intellectual curiosity should be encouraged, college campuses have recently seen an intellectual divide: camp A, where exploration of ideas matters, and camp B, where victimhood culture is king.

Those who identify with the Left seem to routinely care more about the identity of a speaker rather than that speaker’s viewpoints or merits. In some instances, yes, what makes a person unique is their ethnicity, race, or geographic allegiance. However, in most cases it is intellectual diversity that makes a speaker worthy of attention. Sadly, many on the Left on college campuses have increasingly become more obsessed with identity politics and no longer have an interest in stepping outside of their ideological comfort zones to experiencing new ideas.

This victimhood culture has been taken to the extreme. In one case at the University of Florida, administrators notified students that a 24-hour counseling hotline was available for anyone who felt offended by Halloween costumes. Other colleges “in an attempt to pre-empt the psychological threat of offensive costumes” created and distributed Halloween costume guidelines “to help students make appropriate choices if they decide to dress up.”

College culture has become engulfed in this mentality that everything is offensive in some way or form. While students should be able to brush off a costume they may not like, victimhood culture has all but demonized an entire tradition for the sake of one’s potential feelings.

Colleges have grown into a breeding ground for victims by propping up an over-sensitive campus climate. While college should be a time to expand a student’s way of thinking, colleges have turned to censoring ideas that are often deemed “too controversial.” Instead of caving to leftist demands, administrators should stand up for freedom of speech. They should prop up the individual and explain that victimhood mentality and collectivism does nothing to empower or enrich students’ lives. Without a bold stand, victimhood culture will only grow.

#rightwingopinionpiece

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Back on topic:

Huh, I tried to follow the rabbit hole down to see what was actually going on in that campus and all I got was more conservative blogs and an unsourced Fox news article:

Link in your article: https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/fetishizing-victimhood-how-colleges-promote-psychological-frailty

Link in the next article: http://mediatrackers.org/2016/09/29/uw-lacrosse-review-halloween-costumes-racism/

So from everything here, it seems to me that the people with the victim mentality are conservative bloggers and they've effectively made themselves into the ass end of an ouroboros of offense.

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

#rightwingopinionpiece

Yeah. I clicked on the link, as I was curious as to the source of the article and I saw these two other headline gems:

Not sure The Washington Examiner is a publication you want to use to lend your argument credibility.....I guess there were no horror stories about College campuses on foxnews.com...

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

#rightwingopinionpiece

Uh, it may well be but the Halloween counselling.....really?    If that is indeed true, and Googling indicated it is, whether this is left, right or any wing that is pretty messed up for a university.

54 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Huh, I tried to follow the rabbit hole down to see what was actually going on in that campus and all I got was more conservative blogs and an unsourced Fox news article:

Link in your article: https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/fetishizing-victimhood-how-colleges-promote-psychological-frailty

Link in the next article: http://mediatrackers.org/2016/09/29/uw-lacrosse-review-halloween-costumes-racism/

So from everything here, it seems to me that the people with the victim mentality are conservative bloggers and they've effectively made themselves into the ass end of an ouroboros of offense.

OK, here is a link you may respect more....and an older article that may explain the trend.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/10/24/survey-finds-professors-already-liberal-have-moved-further-left

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, it may well be but the Halloween counselling.....really?    If that is indeed true, and Googling indicated it is, whether this is left, right or any wing that is pretty messed up for a university.

you wanted academic freedom.... :ph34r:

Archived