The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler would LOVE to re-sign with the Canucks.

singularity

https://www.tsn.ca/edler-would-love-to-re-sign-with-canucks-1.1172879

Alex Edler has spent his entire career with the Vancouver Canucks, dating back to when he was drafted by the team in 2004.

The 32-year-old defenceman is entering the final year of his current contract and is hoping this is not his final season in B.C. He noted, however, that the two sides have yet to open contract talks.

“If something can be worked out, I would love to stay here," Edler told The Athletic this week. "Even though we’ve had some tough years, this is kind of an exciting thing to go through. There’s change and a lot of young guys are coming in. You see how they are developing. 

"There’s nothing now, but we’ll see. We’ll see what happens. All I can do is play good hockey.”

In 70 games last season, Edler scored six goals and posted 34 points - his highest total since 2012. He averaged a team-high 24:17 of average ice time per game, which was more than three minutes more than any player on the team.

Edler's future with the Canucks, at least this season, remains in his hands as he owns a full no-trade clause. The Swede declined to say whether or not he'd be willing to waive it this season if asked to do so by the Canucks. Edler carries a $5 million cap hit, the highest among Canucks blueliners.

He was listed at No. 24 on TSN Trade Bait board prior to June's draft, but was replaced on the list by Chris Tanev in July. Tanev is signed through the 2019-20 season.

A veteran of 758 career NHL games, Edler has 84 goals and 334 points over his time with the Canucks. He's led the team in ice time in each of the past four seasons.

What do you think?  

Personally, it would be "Bye Felicia" from me.

3 minutes ago, singularity said:

https://www.tsn.ca/edler-would-love-to-re-sign-with-canucks-1.1172879

Personally, it would be "Bye Felicia" from me.

for one million a year and no trade protection i think we can go with it. I am done with Alex.despite his history with this team , He has looked slow, has not scored much thus the decline in offense from the back end. He has fumbled more pucks in his feet than before also. I think he looked better with Guddy at the end of the season. I am ok if he doesnt get re signed though. i know he has his fan club here.  and cue the rebuttals.

I think he's enjoyed being part of the "Swedish club" without actually contributing much.  The number of times he coughs up the plug, craps the bed or just falls over for no reason makes him a drag on the team.  The only thing he had going for him was his veteran status and his no-trade clause.  Couldn't bench him for the money he was making, couldn't ship him anywhere and couldn't get him to play properly.

He was great for team tank though.

If Edler's contract demands are not excessive and the Canucks can play him in a lesser role, I'd be for it.  MDZ's contract is up at the end of this year and he might get dealt by the TDL anyway.  Beyond that, Pouliot and Hutton are RFAs next summer so there's no hurry to figure out what to do with them and their rights could be dealt.  The biggest question mark is probably whether Juolevi can make the jump during this season or next and whether Hughes makes the jump next season.

If Hughes makes the jump, Hutton has a banner year and Juolevi shows that he can be a NHL regular, then that's the strongest situation where Edler would probably not be re-signed.  There may still be a place for him if the team really wants to hold on to a veteran however, but it would likely result in a significant drop in his deployment.  I can see the Canucks letting Pouliot go in this case unless he plays so well this year that he beats out someone like Hutton.  Given the Canucks' management's love for veterans, I'm assuming they'll try to keep Edler.

I'm not sure which D are UFAs next summer which might muddy the waters about an Edler extension.  Even if Karlsson makes it to UFA next summer, it remains to be seen if it makes sense for the Canucks to chase him with Hughes in the pipeline.  Perhaps a few of our D may get dealt over the next year which might make it more feasible.

10 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Sign him up!  

Edler had a great year and has a couple left in him for sure.  

Now let’s watch a couple dumb dumb sheep post what garbage he is.  

Too late :lol:

Still by far our best, all around D. Who's replacing his 24+/- minutes in all situations...?

Best thing for the club would be to rent him at the TDL and re-sign him for a club friendly deal but I'd not be surprised at all to see him simply stay and re-sign.

Like the Sedins, Edler is a lifer. He might prefer to retire than relocate to a new city and join a new team. Dreams of trading him for a 1st plus at the TDL, I can't see happening. Edler has been a good, loyal Damn for this team for many years, and I would be okay with them re-signing him for another year or two. Until Hughes is ready to take over the #1 spot. 

Elder never has been, and never will be a #1 defenseman. And that's why he gets so much hate. But it's not fair to him; he was just thrust into that role by management who were never able to get us the guy we REALLY needed in that position.

But if we have room for him, I'd love to have him back for a more reasonable salary and put him down in a #3 role or so.  I think he would be a good mentor to our younger guys, and he can still produce and be a decent all-around player for us.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Too late :lol:

Still by far a best, all around D. Who's replacing his 24+/- minutes in all situations...?

Best thing for the club would be to rent him at the TDL and re-sign him for a club friendly deal but I'd not be surprised at all to see him simply stay and re-sign.

Disagree, his best years are behind him. If he wants to play in a reduced role, at a cheaper contract without trade protection I am fine with it but he isnt the 2011 Edler and hasn't been since then. He has been a major disappointment on the power play. He has 1 count them all here 1 goal in a calendar year despite starting every 1st line power play with the twins. The best D man we have when healthy is Tanev. IMHO

Just now, kloubek said:

Elder never has been, and never will be a #1 defenseman. And that's why he gets so much hate.  

If we have room for him, I'd love to have him back for a more reasonable salary and put him down in a #3 role or so.  I think he would be a good mentor to our younger guys, and he can still produce and be a decent all-around player for us.

For a guy drafted in the 3rd round, we should be doing damn happy with what we got out of him. 

People put unrealistic expectations on him, and bash the hell out of him when he doesn’t achieve.  How is that fair?   

He has been a Canuck for a LONG time. 

He had a huge amount of great seasons, followed by two bad seasons,then rebounded last year.    

He has been awesome a lot longer than bad.  

I hate Canucks fans.  Hahah

Benning has reportedly been willing to re-sign him, but for short term (1-2 years).  Too high risk going longer than that.  Undoubtedly we could get him at a good discount, and it would be even better if he could pull a solid like Burrows and help with the rebuild this year.

With all of the current left side UFA after this season, Edler may be the one worth having back for a year or two as we transition in the kids.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Disagree, his best years are behind him. If he wants to play in a reduced role, at a cheaper contract without trade protection I am fine with it but he isnt the 2011 Edler and hasn't been since then. He has been a major disappointment on the power play. He has 1 count them all here 1 goal in a calendar year despite starting every 1st line power play with the twins. The best D man we have when healthy is Tanev. IMHO

Our best DEFENSIVE D may be Tanev but our best all around D is still Edler whether you disagree or not. Who said anything about '2011 Edler'?

Edler = 24 mins/night. Tanev = just under 20 mins. Seems the coaches agree with me.

Re-sign him to a club friendly deal, perhaps a limited NTC and let him trend down the lineup to 2nd and eventually 3rd pair over the next few years as Juolevi, Hughes etc come on line.

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

For a guy drafted in the 3rd round, we should be doing damn happy with what we got out of him. 

People put unrealistic expectations on him, and bash the hell out of him when he doesn’t achieve.  How is that fair?   

He had a huge amount of great seasons, followed by two bad seasons,then rebounded last year.    

Agree on all of what you say here. That has nothing to do with future plans.

I agree on Canuck fans they love their players so much they cant move on past them.

Sedins, it was time for them to go but people still want them to stay despite thri better years being over. Love what they have been for this city but time marches on.

Linden traded by that evil Mike Kennan guy but he became Todd Bertuzzi and One of the twins when McCabe was traded for the third overall so we could draft both.

Vancouver fans are too blinded by love for the player they often lose sight of whats best for the team.

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Guys had an 11 year and counting career as a solid #2D from a 3rd round pick and that's not good enough for some 'fans' :picard:

Just now, aGENT said:

Our best DEFENSIVE D may be Tanev but our best all around D is still Edler whether you disagree or not. Who said anything about '2011 Edler'?

Edler = 24 mins/night. Tanev = just under 20 mins. Seems the coaches agree with me.

Re-sign him to a club friendly deal, perhaps a limited NTC and let him trend down the lineup to 2nd and eventually 3rd pair over the next few years as Juolevi, Hughes etc come on line.

Like i said bolded started every first unit power play with the Twins and had 1 goal. Great production for that extra 4 minutes a game.

Sorry no disrespect to you but i will stand by my argument that Tanev is a better D man than Edler at this time.

Edler was great around 2011, hit more, skated better jumped in the rush. Its time for him to play a reduced role if he stays. His best days are behind him. He is not a number 1 D man on any other team except maybe Toronto and Edmonton

Archived