The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler would LOVE to re-sign with the Canucks.

singularity

The 2018 Edler was a beast, played like he cared again. It was awesome to watch after a few years of steady decline.

Which Edler will we get this season? Will he pick up where he left off, or will we get the 2014-2017 Edler? 

I can't say how I feel about resigning until I see which Edler shows up.

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Agree on all of what you say here. That has nothing to do with future plans.

I agree on Canuck fans they love their players so much they cant move on past them.

Sedins, it was time for them to go but people still want them to stay despite thri better years being over. Love what they have been for this city but time marches on.

Linden traded by that evil Mike Kennan guy but he became Todd Bertuzzi and One of the twins when McCabe was traded for the third overall so we could draft both.

Vancouver fans are too blinded by love for the player they often lose sight of whats best for the team.

There is always a time to move on, but we don’t have anything better.   

You don’t move on from

someone who is still your best all around dman just because he isn’t as good as he used to be. 

In 2-3 years we will have replacements, but right now he is what we have 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Guys had an 11 year and counting career as a solid #2D from a 3rd round pick and that's not good enough for some 'fans' :picard:

No one has discounted what he has done , the discussion is about whether to resign him for the future. Love what he has developed into from where he started . there is no disrespect to Alex at all, his best days are behind him. This the Sedin argument all over with a new player.

Just now, drummerboy said:

There is always a time to move on, but we don’t have anything better.   

You don’t move on from

someone who is still your best all around dman just because he isn’t as good as he used to be. 

In 2-3 years we will have replacements, but right now he is what we have 

The question was asked do we resign him. I said yes at a reduced level of pay and role. I also listed my reasons for why.

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

But if we have room for him, I'd love to have him back for a more reasonable salary and put him down in a #3 role or so.  I think he would be a good mentor to our younger guys, and he can still produce and be a decent all-around player for us.

If he has a decent season leading up to the TDL, I could see a scenario where keep him and move MDZ. They may then resign him for say 2 years at 2.5 to 3.5 mil per year if he is agreeable 

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Like i said bolded started every first unit power play with the Twins and had 1 goal. Great production for that extra 4 minutes a game.

Sorry no disrespect to you but i will stand by my argument that Tanev is a better D man than Edler at this time.

Edler was great around 2011, hit more, skated better jumped in the rush. Its time for him to play a reduced role if he stays. His best days are behind him. He is not a number 1 D man on any other team except maybe Toronto and Edmonton

He's not an offensive D man (not his fault your expectations are out of whack). He's a 2 way D and he still put up 34 points last year to Tanev's 11. I'd say that's full value for his extra 4 minutes. The coaches are putting him out there for a reason.

Again, still BY FAR our best all around D, had his best season in years last year (despite your assessment he needs a 'reduced role' :rolleyes:) and isn't likely going anywhere or much/any 'reduction' in his role for a while yet.

He's not a #1D anywhere. That doesn't mean that the very solid, 2-way, #2D he is, is garbage.

I don't mind bringing back Edler on a 3.5-4 million per year contract for another 4 years. This D-core is going to get younger and they need mentors. Edler has been a long tenure Canuck, and his play last season has actually be one of the best he has had in a few years. He isn't as bad as most posters on CDC labels him to be, he just is being counted on too much by being on a weak team. He is ideally a #3 or #4 D-man on a contending team. I can see the Canucks future D-core lead by Quinn Hughes. Edler would be a great veteran presence and complimentary player to the future young D-core.

He's logging the most minutes on the team. Green has really relied on him big time. From a coaching standpoint, I can't see Green easily wanting to give up that level of confidence as we transition our younger D prospects. Edler's clearly his go to workhorse. Production wise, he also had one of his best seasons last year. 

I say sign him to no more than 2-years. That'll give stability time for Hughes to arrive while we see how Juolevi, Hutton, Pouliot, and the rest of our D shakes out.

With the Sedins gone, he'll be good for Petterson and Dahlen to help them adjust. 

Edler had a very good season last year.  If he repeats it, and he is willing to take a team friendly 2 or 3 year deal, i'd resign him for sure.  Losing him would leave a gaping hole in our D, even more so than losing Tanev.  

I know it sounds silly/sappy, but having the Sedins and Edler play their entire careers with the Canucks shows very well for the team.  Imagine guys like Bo, Brock, EP, Hughes allplaying their whole careers in Van.

Just now, aGENT said:

He's not an offensive D man (not his fault your expectations are out of whack). He's a 2 way D and he still put up 34 points last year to Tanev's 11. I'd say that's full value for his extra 4 minutes. The coaches are putting him out there for a reason.

Again, still BY FAR our best all around D, had his best season in years last year (despite your assessment he needs a 'reduced role' :rolleyes:) and isn't likely going anywhere or much/any 'reduction' in his role for a while yet.

He's not a #1D anywhere. That doesn't mean that the very solid, 2-way, #2D he is, is garbage.

Your comparison in points total does not take into account that Edler started every power play with Hank and Danny just by passing the puck to them he has picked up points. That does not make him better offensively than Tanev. He himself has not produced on the power play and at times has struggled to pass the puck to Boeser.

he is not necessarily our best all around D man because he has more points given the injuries to Tanev last year and the lack of power play time Tanev gets. Tanev might be a better option on the point on the PP because Edler has not been getting it done.

I again do not claim Edler is Garbage. As in the Sedin thread, I merely state his Edlers, best days are behind him and we are discussing the future. he is not a number 1 so his role and paycheck should not be the likes of a number 1. NO NTC. Reduced role as the Younger players come on board. Thats what i would see his future being. If he is ok with that then we resign him at a reduced level of pay. If a good trade offer comes along at the deadline then he is off to where ever but no more NMC

2 years at 4 million per

get it done

and i kind of agree with another poster

who says he'll likely retire rather then move anywhere

whether he has a ntc clause or not

he is unlikely to move or accept any trade

so such a clause is irrelevant to his contract

and thoughts of moving him seem unlikely to be realized

Just now, BCNate said:

Edler had a very good season last year.  If he repeats it, and he is willing to take a team friendly 2 or 3 year deal, i'd resign him for sure.  Losing him would leave a gaping hole in our D, even more so than losing Tanev.  

I know it sounds silly/sappy, but having the Sedins and Edler play their entire careers with the Canucks shows very well for the team.  Imagine guys like Bo, Brock, EP, Hughes allplaying their whole careers in Van.

4 year extension @ 6 per?  How much would Edler get on the open market?  

Same feeling as lucky. If Edler from last year shows up, which if he's paired with Gudbranson (like he is today at training camp) most likely will, then I'm all for a re-signing of Eagle to a team friendly contract, which his last one was as well.

He looked reinvigorated with Guddy. Free to play the puck, take the body, and be an overall great defenseman.

If Edler regresses, then saying goodbye at the end of the season is fine too.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Bolded is whats wrong with Vancouver hockey fans.

Imagine all the guys mentioned playing so well we cant have them move on. That's what is more important than having players play out their careers in this city. I want them to play so well through their whole career that we just cant trade them. We talk about the younger players having to earn their spots, the veterans can not rest on their laurels based on previous years play. They must perform at the high level expected each season or they shouldnt be here either.

Trevor Linden was traded and at the time evryone bitched and moaned that Trevor had been moved by Evil Mike. It was the best thing that happened to the team.

Trevor got moved for Bertuzzi and Mc Cabe

Bertuzzi went on to become one of the best if not the best Power forward this team has had.

Bryan Mc Cabe was traded for the right to draft the second of the twins.

Sometimes emotion has to be left off the table when discussing players.

Making the right hockey move sometimes demands hard decisions.

Alex Edler started as a unknown quantity when the Canucks got him. He turned out so much better than expected and for that I applaud him. If we can get one or two more years out of him as a 3-4 d man then great. I personally do not see a long term deal, a NMC, or a need to keep him in the family should a trade make sense for the team.

Its a new day. I believe the D is still in need of another drafted player. Juolevi, Hughes, and Woo are the future. Trades, free agent pick ups, all can affect the D personell. Edler is an option for now, but long term he shouldn't be an option.

Having said all this I hope this season he goes out , scores 20 leads the team in Hits and has a great injury free year. I wish him all the best.

Archived