The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen Finds 10K and Returns it-Would You?

nucklehead

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

What world are we living in where someone is obligated to give a reward, they are not. Then giving someone a hundred bucks is not good enough ? I don't get it.

Could have taken out of bank for a purchase. Could have collected etc not really crazy to think 10g is sitting in a purse, but since it was and was returned its nice to see people do the right thing in those situations. 

Very nice to see the right thing done in returning but, yes, it is crazy as no one buys things with cash anymore.    Not for that much cash.   Save one thing.    Super rare.    Strange amount too as one dollar more gets the interest of the boys with blue and yellow jackets.    Kid who found is a good kid - what that money was for, unlikely for good things.

On 18/09/2018 at 12:23 AM, Toews said:

I think I would but then again I can't be sure what would happen when I have all that cold hard cash in my hands. :ph34r:

I admire your honesty.

I believe I would take the money to the local police station and hope the policeman I gave it to was honest.

21 hours ago, gurn said:

I do all my purchases in cash except for satellite internet.

If I had a higher income I'd be carrying more cash. Nothing nefarious.

Old school

I never use cash. I have $40 in my wallet that has been there so long I can't remember why I put it in there.

It's a dog eat dog world. If someone's careless enough to carry that kind of cash and then to forget it on the roof of their car, well then they probably didn't need it that much and in my opinion deserved to lose it. That all being said, I'm not a well-off man and have only myself to rely on so therefore I believe in taking your breaks where you can get them. If I was already wealthy I'd probably return the money though.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, Coconuts said:

Not sure what I'd do tbh. My first inclination would likely be to return it, but man.. ten grand would go a long way to turning things around for me. That's a decent chunk of a student loan.

would the loss of 10 grand change your life any?

On 18/09/2018 at 5:41 PM, gurn said:

I do all my purchases in cash except for satellite internet.

If I had a higher income I'd be carrying more cash. Nothing nefarious.

If it weren't for the rewards and cash back CCs give us, my wife and I would probably do all cash.  She needs CC for work all the time so doesn't work for her but nothing wrong with all cash, we pretty much treat our CC as cash and pay it off every 2 weeks.

26 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

would the loss of 10 grand change your life any?

I think most people 10 grand could be a major life changer.  Thats a lot of money for mortgage, investments, etc.  

I think I would personally return it, my conscious would eat me alive if I tried to keep it. 

On 9/19/2018 at 7:29 PM, Rim Jobson said:

It's a dog eat dog world. If someone's careless enough to carry that kind of cash and then to forget it on the roof of their car, well then they probably didn't need it that much and in my opinion deserved to lose it. That all being said, I'm not a well-off man and have only myself to rely on so therefore I believe in taking your breaks where you can get them. If I was already wealthy I'd probably return the money though.

I pretty much have to agree with you. It's highly unusual to carry that much cash around in this day and age of electronic banking and e-transfers and such. Why on earth would somebody be carrying around 10k in a purse? And then be foolish enough to lose it! If I had that much cash I'd be guarding it with my life! All I can figure is that it was payment from a drug deal or something else that's shady. Either that or the woman who lost it was rich and going on a shopping spree; or is the wife/mistress of a rich guy and that was her allowance. Either way she couldn't have cared too much if she was absent-minded enough to forget it on the roof of her car.

Finders keepers.

Archived