The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Go After Panarin?

Rindiculous

5 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I really think that Canucks will never end up having to pay a recapture penalty.  Either it will be struck down for pre-2013 contracts in the CBA in 2020 (like seriously, who thinks the league will actually cripple Nashville so much with a 25 million recapture penalty?), or Luongo plays out his contract, or he'll be placed on LTIR.  No team has been affected by this sort of penalty in the past, and it is just unfair to those teams when they made the contracts before the rule.

I'd like to agree.
But, we're talking about the Canucks. When was the last time you saw a break that big go our way?
For crying out loud, we've been around for FIFTY YEARS,  sucked for a huge portion of that, and have NEVER had a #1 draft pick.

Add to that, Brian Burke worked supreme magic in 1999 to draft TWO future hall of famers....  and the organization squandered it. 

This team is like the friggin Red Sox man. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, samurai said:

Yes, the nucks should go all in but doubt he would want to play here.  We don't have a good track record with Russians - see Nikita.  Nikita if you are reading this please come back ASAP.  

Maybe if we get Panarin he and Goldy can convince Tryamkin to come back next season :)

I think who we go for really depends on the development of certain players this year and our draft position. If we are top 3. A lot of things could happen. 1. We luck out and get Hughes, Kaako or Cozens and they most likely start with the team or we get Byram and it opens our D prospects for trade. 

If we get Hughes. We have to address the Defence. We will be getting his brother and hopefully Tryamkin. But, i wonder if a guy like Trouba or Myers intrigues us in the offseason. 

If we select Byram or a D. That might open up a Juolevi in a package for a prolific forward. 

Who knows really, only time will tell. 

On 9/22/2018 at 2:49 AM, fecklund said:

I'd like to agree.
But, we're talking about the Canucks. When was the last time you saw a break that big go our way?
For crying out loud, we've been around for FIFTY YEARS,  sucked for a huge portion of that, and have NEVER had a #1 draft pick.

Add to that, Brian Burke worked supreme magic in 1999 to draft TWO future hall of famers....  and the organization squandered it. 

Yikes, 50 years.  That's pretty unlucky!  Though, not unheard of....until Patrick Kane, the Hawks had never had the #1 pick up to that point and were talking 80 years.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:28 AM, King Heffy said:

We have the Luongo recapture to worry about too.  Better to wait until we're actual contenders and not have to overpay as much.

I think what we learned from other teams there's always a way to work around that. I'm sure Florida will put Luongo in LTIR so they also don't have to get hit with his cap. 

5 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Yikes, 50 years.  That's pretty unlucky!  Though, not unheard of....until Patrick Kane, the Hawks had never had the #1 pick up to that point and were talking 80 years.

All things being equal the amateur draft only started in the late sixties because the rest of the league was tired of MTL having a monopoly on French Canadian players and wanted in....Then Boston drafted Dryden, turned around and traded him to MTL for three guys that never played so joked on them.  So there has only ever been 53ish first overalls all-time, and the WHA dipped into that pool as well they were willing to draft guys that weren’t 20...

Hartford/Carolina never picked first...

Calgary too

SJ,MIN and ANA too although they haven’t been around as long...

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think what we learned from other teams there's always a way to work around that. I'm sure Florida will put Luongo in LTIR so they also don't have to get hit with his cap. 

Florida might want to get hit with his cap though if they're not going to spend to the ceiling.  It's really not in their best interests to help us out by putting him on LTIR.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:49 AM, fecklund said:

I'd like to agree.

Could well be wrong ( again ), but I believe we briefly owned the #1 pick in 1999 when BB was doing all his wheeling and dealing ! I think that Atlanta had said they would not draft a Sedin.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

All things being equal the amateur draft only started in the late sixties because the rest of the league was tired of MTL having a monopoly on French Canadian players and wanted in....Then Boston drafted Dryden, turned around and traded him to MTL for three guys that never played so joked on them.  So there has only ever been 53ish first overalls all-time, and the WHA dipped into that pool as well they were willing to draft guys that weren’t 20...

Hartford/Carolina never picked first...

Calgary too

SJ,MIN and ANA too although they haven’t been around as long...

You couldn't just leave it at "the Blackhawks were established in 1926 and have had only one #1 overall draft pick in that time... therefore, they must've only had one pick in nearly a century and the NHL hates them too."

You had to get all technical 

On 21/09/2018 at 6:09 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I don't get the "I want to play here or there" attitude of some players. Sure, players have preferences where they might want to play, but this is the NHL. Playing for any team is huge. Some veteran players might feel they want to go to a contender, but was there a lineup of players thinking Vegas was going all the way last year? No, they all seem to want to play for Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Jose, etc. If it's about wanting to play on a future contender in front of real hockey fans in a filled building on Hockey Night in Canada, in a beautiful city that has so much to offer, including decent winter tempts - then Vancouver would be the place to be.

Because greedy players like Kane and Karlsson chose to play for San Jose, I hope they never win the Cup. I'm still miffed that Karlssson didn't have one Canadian team on his list. He wants to hide, out of the public eye and collect his multi-millions while his new team wins a Cup for him.

I don't blame them. Hockey is a rough sport, and there's a good chance that even if you stay relatively injury free through your career you are going to suffer as you age. The market says these guys are worth $xxx because of their position and skill then power to them! 

I do agree with the first part of your post though. Vancouver is a great city, and if you're making millions then you can afford to live there.

Archived