The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Go After Panarin?

Rindiculous

A player like this is not available for just salary that often and next season is interesting timing for Vancouver's development curve.   He would likely see Vancouver as a very attractive landing place for a variety of reasons and an ability to be on a team like he had in Chicago a few years ago (Horvat being Toews, EP being Kane, Boeser being.....well, Chicago never had anyone as good) etc.    

Sure, if you can make this work without messing with the plan - go for it.

Any time someone brings up a big spend I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room (or should I say rink)
That being Luongo's cap recapture penalty.
I won't go into why it could be a disaster for us in the not so distant future as it's been talked about at length.
It's too bad the team fired Laurence Gilman as he was the guy who could navigate a bad monetary situation like that.... 

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Have you lived in the bay area? Their cost of living is so high that Vancouver is actually a cheap place to live.

I'm guessing your talking housing. You can choose where you live, although hockey players can pretty much afford to live any place. I'm talking purchasing power. Food is cheaper, cars, appliances, etc. Lower taxes combined with greater purchasing power. Then add in they're not under the microscope in public like they are here. There's definite advantages for NHL players to play in the US.

51 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Any time someone brings up a big spend I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room (or should I say rink)
I won't go into why it could be a disaster for us in the not so distant future as it's been talked about at length.
It's too bad the team fired Laurence Gilman as he was the guy who could navigate a bad monetary situation like that.... 

Gilman is the one that got us into that contract.

1 hour ago, fecklund said:

I really think that Canucks will never end up having to pay a recapture penalty.  Either it will be struck down for pre-2013 contracts in the CBA in 2020 (like seriously, who thinks the league will actually cripple Nashville so much with a 25 million recapture penalty?), or Luongo plays out his contract, or he'll be placed on LTIR.  No team has been affected by this sort of penalty in the past, and it is just unfair to those teams when they made the contracts before the rule.

My initial real action was to say no on the basis that we need to upgrade our defence first and foremost and that we have a ton of competition for our forward group. But then the more I think about this the more I like it.

First off I’m really high on Panarin. As someone mentioned, he is a playmaker and a scorer. He improves every year and he is at the uppermost age at which we’d want to bring in players with whom to win but still in that range.

With him in the lineup we can shed some of our forward vets that are just obviously place holding. Gagner can go; we don’t have to debate about Goldobin; somehow get rid of Ericksson; all the floaters... Package them up with some D and maybe a prospect or two and overhaul our D corps.

Basically Panarin solves all our problems.

11 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Have you lived in the bay area? Their cost of living is so high that Vancouver is actually a cheap place to live.

Kane Makes $7 000 000 MILLION.  That's   $583 333.33 per Month - U.S.A. dollars

Karlsson will be signed for (at least) $10 000 000 MILLION.  $833 333.33 per Month - U.S.A. dollars

Cost of living NON ISSUE...:rolleyes:

Archived