The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Place the blame where it belongs: Travis Green

MikeBossy

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

That brings up an interesting thought - really this whole thing isn’t about one particular incident or one particular player, but about how the team plays.  The team doesn’t play tough - so other teams think they can take liberties.... and so they do.

its about just having enough mean SOBs like Pronger used to be - of course we can’t find a player like that, but someone close.  Probert-like would be even better.

Then of course is the idiocy of the whole goon thing, which I don’t find entertaining at all, I want to watch skill on the ice - if I wanted a UFC spectacle I’d just watch that instead.   But I guess we have to have some of it else the skill can’t show properly.  Ergo, reality dictates the requirement for toughness in hockey.  As stupid as it seems...

Yes unfortunately that is the real hockey world, team toughness counts, because the other side doesn't always counter with skill. And as a team you don't let your YOUNG star player get gooned like that without a response. thats why Canucks can't have nice things....

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

Injuries are why they lost in the finals, not backing down from the Bruins.

You can blame injuries Boston have their fair share. Bruins was taking liberty all series running our players thru the boards they didn’t worry about retaliation nor did they worry about our so call potent power play. Anyone that’s playing hurt is playing twice as hurt coz they didn’t have to give a f*ck about our response 

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You can blame injuries Boston have their fair share. Bruins was taking liberty all series running our players thru the boards they didn’t worry about retaliation nor did they worry about our so call potent power play. Anyone that’s playing hurt is playing twice as hurt coz they didn’t have to give a f*ck about our response 

I agree that the Canucks did shrink away from the Bruins in 2011.  However, on Saturday night they did the opposite.  Instead of rolling over and letting their opponent have free run, on Saturday they took the bull by the horns and took the lead and the victory.

That's the difference

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why are you even here if you hate this team so much?  Don't watch, don't post if you don't support the team

Support the team? You, who apparently played some level of hockey when helmets were not required are the biggest hater out there 

playing Ghandi when most true and knowledgeable fans are calling for what has been done in the nhl and hockey since day 1 

don’t make me laugh 

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don't get why people always think that the Bruins won based on physicality alone. The reason the Bruins won wasn't because they were simply "tougher" or "more physical" than us, although they are factors. The main reason they won was because they were smarter than the Canucks in that series in that they got into the Canucks' heads and had them not playing hockey anymore and had our guys chasing THEM around for retribution while the Bruins were having a field day scoring goals no problem why we were wrestling Tim Thomas for no reason and doing all this petty stupid crap that ultimately cost the Canucks the series. It was ultimately a mental battle, and the Canucks lost that battle.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sound like what the 2011 canucks did lol go ahead take liberty at us we won’t respond physically we’ll get you on the power play and then got blown out in the finals 

Tim Thomas was a wall and the Canucks got frustrated which resulted them in doing petty crap that cost them those games in the finals. I don't think throwing extra hits would've solved anything.

3 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

I don't get why people always think that the Bruins won based on physicality alone. The reason the Bruins won wasn't because they were simply "tougher" or "more physical" than us, although they are factors. The main reason they won was because they were smarter than the Canucks in that series in that they got into the Canucks' heads and had them not playing hockey anymore and had our guys chasing THEM around for retribution while the Bruins were having a field day scoring goals no problem why we were wrestling Tim Thomas for no reason and doing all this petty stupid crap that ultimately cost the Canucks the series. It was ultimately a mental battle, and the Canucks lost that battle.

Lol when were we chasing them around for retribution in the entire series? We lost coz they physically imposed themselves on us. Whack slash and hold. Roughing up the crease after every whistle. And we would sit back and wait for the ref to blow a penalty that never came. The odd chances that we were on a power play we did nothing.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol when were we chasing them around for retribution in the entire series? We lost coz they physically imposed themselves on us. Whack slash and hold. Roughing up the crease after every whistle. And we would sit back and wait for the ref to blow a penalty that never came. The odd chances that we were on a power play we did nothing.

Yeah, and we did the same exact things with the biting, the diving, the sneaky slashing, fighting the goaltender. The Canucks just lost their composure during that series because Thomas stopped everything and they started doing what they did best back then, being annoying and performing petty antics that don't work. Meanwhile, the Bruins continued to play hockey while we were trying to annoy them Sean Avery style.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They did, the scored the next shift.  What better response than getting the go ahead goal mins after your star goes down?  Exactly what Green said, that's digging down deep.  Theres more leadership in what Bo and Baer did than in 10 Hamonic responses

Why does it have to be either or? Why couldn't they respond with physical play and still win the game? (Note that im talking about finishing their checks hard and hitting guys like it's playoff hockey) they got the quick goal, they could of also played with some grit as a way to deter any further dirty type plays against our guys.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree that the Canucks did shrink away from the Bruins in 2011.  However, on Saturday night they did the opposite.  Instead of rolling over and letting their opponent have free run, on Saturday they took the bull by the horns and took the lead and the victory.

That's the difference

Thats actually a good post.

Had they done similarly in 2011, they would probably have won the cup. Injuries or not.

After watching Green today I regret so harshly questioning the team dynamic on Saturday night. Obviously us fans are emotional after something like that because we care. And speaking for myself; with Pettersson its extra sensitive because, for me, watching him play is probably the most joyous time I've had watching this team since the 2011 season. Dude looks like he can already score 70+ points on arrival. 

I believe him when he says the guys didn't see it. The slam was pretty late behind the play. I think if the guys were around something would have happened. And I tend to agree with Botchfords take that Green, in that scrum today, came across as if he would have liked to see a fight or something aswell. He was genuinely pissed off. You can tell he's just as unhappy as us. He's right there with us fans. 

Its just so unfortunate the whole situation, the play was so unnecessary, the fact no one was nearby to respond was also very demoralizing at the time. But I believe the guys didn't see it and that things would have been different had the play still been in the zone with guys around when it happened.

Hopefully EP makes a full recovery. I don't blame Green for anything. I'm positive someone will fight Matheson in January. The suspension today was a great step. After the suspension & this Green scrum I'm ready to move on from it, and focus on how much it sucks this team doesn't have EP in the lineup. 

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Right now 152lbs Jack Hughes is deciding if joining his brother and signing with the Canucks if they win the lottery is worth the risk.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

They did, the scored the next shift.  What better response than getting the go ahead goal mins after your star goes down?  Exactly what Green said, that's digging down deep.  Theres more leadership in what Bo and Baer did than in 10 Hamonic responses

Pure BS.

The fact the Canucks scored had nothing to do with ignoring the hit. That goal could still have been scored even after retribution. Equally, what would your excuse have been if we had gone on to lose the game in OT or sooner. 

The goal was just CONVENIENT for Green and people who think like you do.

The more excuses I see on these boards the lamer this fan base looks and as for Green, I'm sure he will regret his psycho-babble double talk, down the line. Many in this fan base got an eye opener to-day with the new definition of "character guys" and they were not impressed.

16 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Im tired of all the finger pointing. People need to realize they are commenting on this forum because they are not in the know. They don’t have liability with what they say and do. 

Green is not going to comment about the hit and say they are out to get Matheson...

Crawford was held liable because of comments he made about Moore. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/court-documents-allege-marc-crawford-played-role-in-hit-by-bertuzzi-1.679500

common people. Green is not that stupid! 

Good thing a lot of Cdc’ers are not the coach or players on this hockey team. It would be a $&!# show out there if they were. 

Strawman.

Few people are caring what Green says now. He has already called it a dirty play.

He has already said he watched the incident on his iPad behind the bench. 

Stop trying to make this into a Marc Crawford situation.

People are angry because Green implied that he watched the hit on the iPad and apparently decided no action was called for, only to come out at the end of the game and say it was a dirty play. Are you surprised half the fan base are angry AND confused?

The coach was clearly covering for his own ambition and because of that was prepared to see the hit go unpunished. I'm not sure that approach will get this team too far.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Pure BS.

The fact the Canucks scored had nothing to do with ignoring the hit. That goal could still have been scored even after retribution. Equally, what would your excuse have been if we had gone on to lose the game in OT or sooner. 

The goal was just CONVENIENT for Green and people who think like you do.

The more excuses I see on these boards the lamer this fan base looks and as for Green, I'm sure he will regret his psycho-babble double talk, down the line. Many in this fan base got an eye opener to-day with the new definition of "character guys" and they were not impressed.

agreed.. if we responded with something.. anything.. next time team think twice before running pettersson or boeser thru the boards.. now that they saw the kind of response other team will do it too.. and then we finally respond to that? well by that time whomever will already be knocked out yet again.

14 hours ago, mll said:

Gudbranson was just saying he didn't see it.  

The Panthers's feed was gushing all game about Pettersson.  They have a commentator between both benches.  He said that when the hit happened he looked at the Vancouver bench to see if they would object and they didn't.  The lack of reaction from the bench does suggest that the players did not see the take down.

Am I the only one here who thinks for most teams it wouldn't have mattered if the ref considered it fair or not. Would Boston have watched EP helped off the ice and done nothing, or Calgary, or just about any other team.

I watch games all the time where players react to the injury and not whether the ref thinks it is a fair hit. THAT IS WHAT ANNOYS ME. The boy has played 5 games in the NHL and he is concussed. Very few "fair hits" result in players being helped off the ice like that.

This is the Mason Raymond hit all over again.

Lets face it. I said last season there is something lacking in our scouts/GM's check list and there has been since the RR days. I don't care if our players help old ladies over the road I want to see the "push back" gene HIGH on any assessment we make of our draft picks. That's where it begins.

Bieksa, Rypien, Iginla, Jenner, Bogosian, Giroux, Anderson, Foligno, Ferland, Getzlaf etc didn't suddenly become guys who could not be pushed around when the pulled an NHL jersey on. It is in them from the get go and we need to start putting more emphasis on these type of players imo.

Archived