The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team identity and team PR slogan ‘Battle’ in question

189lb enforcers?

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Except you can only use one side of the bat

And the stick is so damn short you run around like a cripple

Didn't like it. Sorry

its odd, I'll give you that, but it is rough.

maybe you could have said floor hockey, 

anyway I mostly agree with you so never mind

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Enough with the reactionary threads.

Matheson will get his on January 13th, we won the game.

This team isn't as soft as everyone thinks, look at the games against Calgary. 

All this bs bickering is all taken out of context and we are all still fans of this team. Petey will be ok.

On to Pittsburgh!

History has proven this to be false.

secondly.  If it does happen, the league will see it as premeditated and come down hard.  I expect the team to be ripe with injuries by that point as well.  I mean it has already started both by hockey play and intent to injure.

today I pondered a legit bet.

i will “blank” if the Canucks respond in January.

any suggestions?  Open to anyone....

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

its odd, I'll give you that, but it is rough.

maybe you could have said floor hockey, 

anyway I mostly agree with you so never mind

Soccer would have been fitting.

I'd just referred to soccer's immense level of wussiness too many times in other threads.

Tired cliche

Just now, riffraff said:

History has proven this to be false.

secondly.  If it does happen, the league will see it as premeditated and come down hard.  I expect the team to be ripe with injuries by that point as well.  I mean it has already started both by hockey play and intent to injure.

Snort a line of wasabi powder

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I have to ask, what brand of hockey is Orca selling these days?

Apparently, and judging by the million times the word Battle is stamped across this site and elsewhere, the brand is that of a warrior, just not the kind you’d expect during the beatdown of the face of the franchise, in EP40, for instance. Last night, an identity and character defining moment for the team passed, again, and without a fight; a battle. Perhaps I confuse the word Battle with something more innately-hockey than the Canucks do, but I doubt I am alone here. 

After years of being labelled as a soft, gentle pushover team, easily bullied off of the puck (and out of several playoff series) and to end those consecutive eras of docilely passive culture and captaincies, the Canucks targeted free agency this past summer for players willing and capable of pushback against physicality. Or so it appeared at the time. 

Who could blame their approach with their precious, young star players expected to be playing on a roster made famous for its lack of desire to protect and standup for one another, let alone its stars.

Genius Jim, as this forum has him labelled, had engaged the future by selecting three rugged free agents expected to address this team’s glaring need for defensive help, but more-so, the desperate need for physicality and toughness, not to be confused with goonery or the extinct enforcer role.

Along with these expensive signings, given also with terms which have raised more than a few eyebrows within the hockey word, Orca has since also simultaneously deployed its latest PR campaign - Battle - to promote a new Naslund/Sedin-less era and brand of hockey with hopes of reengaging their fanbase’s historical appeal towards a team identity not that of a bullied victim or a perpetual pushover of a sports team. Perhaps that campaign has failed itself... so far, but, extra-rhetorically speaking, when would be a better time for the team to demonstrate their new-found guts? 

After witnessing the face of their franchise, in EP40, pounded into the ice, do you feel the Canucks and their PR team have successfully managed their roster, capacity and identity towards that resembling a team perpetually engaged in Battle mode, or do you see a misalignment between the two concepts and remain curious as to what the team identity truely is?

What brand of hockey is a Orca selling to its fans and what is this team’s identity after last night?

Speaking for just one fan, I’ll be holding onto my dollars until I know the answer. 

A very well thought out post.

But I do think that mabye this one time, just this one time, we give them the benefit of the doubt. They now claim that nobody saw the hit, which could be just an excuse, but could also be true. If it is true, then I can understand there being some confusion over what to do.

This team has been put on notice by a significant portion of the fanbase, and I think there's a good chance that this team now realises that injuries to our star players, intentional or not, require payback.

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

A very well thought out post.

But I do think that mabye this one time, just this one time, we give them the benefit of the doubt. They now claim that nobody saw the hit, which could be just an excuse, but could also be true. If it is true, then I can understand there being some confusion over what to do.

This team has been put on notice by a significant portion of the fanbase, and I think there's a good chance that this team now realises that injuries to our star players, intentional or not, require payback.

Green better recognize that fact too. We have no problem turning on players and coaches in a rather rapid and rabid manner.

I had nothing but love for Green until last night, now I have serious questions about where his loyalties lie. I thought he was "a players coach" not a meek lapdog for "the new NHL".

Just now, luckylager said:

I did no such thing.

Simply requesting he skate away with his head down and go watch a less aggressive sport.

Ok, misunderstood I guess. Who the hell wants to watch field hockey? And by the way have you ever seen women’s field hockey? Brutal, see a lot less blood in hockey.

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

and why is that   ? guddy punched out   travis harmonic  in the Calgary game did he not?  if the florida game was 3-0 at the time  matheson would of paid  for what he did

well if Matheson comes up to Guber and says, "Look, I smoked your rookie feeenom, I think we should fight."

maybe Guber will engage.

But my bet is that won't happen, and neither will any fight.

Hamonic started it with Gube.

Guber has looked shy since his fight with Hamonic.

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Ok, misunderstood I guess. Who the hell wants to watch field hockey? And by the way have you ever seen women’s field hockey? Brutal, see a lot less blood in hockey.

I know a few men with dis-figured hands from playing field hockey

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

Interesting you say that. @lmm and I had a little give and take over it. I'm admittedly ignorant to the level of violence and gore in field hockey.

I attended an afternoon clinic in my early teens and watched the high school girls play at that age. Never saw much of the rough stuff I guess

I was just watching the skirts anyways

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Channel yoir inner Cersei Lannister and take a walk of shame down Robson

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

well if Matheson comes up to Guber and says, "Look, I smoked your rookie feeenom, I think we should fight."

maybe Guber will engage.

But my bet is that won't happen, and neither will any fight.

Hamonic started it with Gube.

Guber has looked shy since his fight with Hamonic.

maybe guddy knuckles are sore after breaking harmonic face

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

yeah - and there's the ludicrous nature of 'tank nation.'

Lose Pettersson. 

Lose Beagle

Better draft pick.  what else could possibly be the bottom line?

I'm pretty sure both "nations" are drawing from the same cess pool

Archived