The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who goes on Pettersson's line to protect him?

*Buzzsaw*

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree Jake is the ideal winger for Pete and Goldy.  Jake fights lefty, which can really surprise guys.  Plus, he’s a mean hitter, which hurts guys.  And Jake can play at high level.  Hopefully Green figures this out. 

Green is a bit of a mystery to me, Virtanen had a little over 10 minutes of ice time as Goldobin saw 9 and a half in Florida.

I dunno from game to game how he manages the bench but on the road I thought he would load up these two with heavy minutes.

1. Jake.   Only current option available.  Need a big body.  Also It will encourage jake to take on more of a leadership role.  He isn’t a babysitter but protecting your line mates is something u can really do only if you are on the ice at the same time

2. Tryamkin.  Please come back!  Not only for protection but as a character guy he would not let teammates be pushed around.  

3. Lucic - he is probably available????  Or Just get an established goon and who cares if he doesn’t score?.  I thought these new FAs were supposed to be tough?  Bah.  I’d rather have a dwindling Overpaid Lucic - who would actually be a really good fit for EP (but who wouldn’t? Haha).  

4. Get a tough young SOB somehow - I can’t imagine EPs line being a liability no matter who he plays with.

problem here is we can’t wait.   So shotgun jake it is?  If that works it is the best option as well as the only one we currently have

The line is fine how it is. There isn't a player in the league who can prevent plays like that from happening. Guddy just broke hamonic's face a couple games ago and that wasn't a deterrent. The panthers all knew he was over there. Most players know how to hang on and survive a fight with pretty well anyone. Hopefully Elias learns to expect the unexpected after this. Not saying it's his fault in any way, of course it isn't. The play was beyond crossing the line. But in the heat of that moment, whether or not there was a tough guy on the ice to answer to or not likely doesn't stop that play from happening. It was an emotional cheap shot by a guy who had a hot head in that moment. I'm pretty sure he didn't ask himself who he was going to have to fight on the way to making that hit. Just my opinion 

47 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

So you think Pettersson should continue to play with Goldy and LE and have no one who will step up for him?

Because that is clearly no solution...  the rest of the NHL will not stop this kind of behaviour if there is not a deterrent on the ice.

Nobody on the ice even saw what happened. Wouldn't have mattered who was on the ice with him.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree Jake is the ideal winger for Pete and Goldy.  Jake fights lefty, which can really surprise guys.  Plus, he’s a mean hitter, which hurts guys.  And Jake can play at high level.  Hopefully Green figures this out. 

When have you ever seen Jake fight anybody for a teammate? He doesn't even fight when somebody gives him, in his opinion, a cheap shot. He just gives a cheap shot back and takes a penalty in the process. He fights to defend himself after throwing a hit when the player comes after him.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

When have you ever seen Jake fight anybody for a teammate? He doesn't even fight when somebody gives him, in his opinion, a cheap shot. He just gives a cheap shot back and takes a penalty in the process. He fights to defend himself after throwing a hit when the player comes after him.

Jake could certainly fill the role.  If he cheap shots a guy, as retribution for a cheap shot at Pete, that’s retribution, isn’t it?

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  Likely that would be the result.  However, I still believe Jake could learn that role, and be very good at it.  

Jake has had too many shoulder injuries and surgeries to add swinging his arms at players, that is probably the role they kept benching for not doing the last few years.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

In the organization that can patrol and enforce is in Utica, Darren Archibald.

Agreed, but add McEwan to the list, who is also a developing offensive talent that may yet become a very valuable player, and who is robust and has been known to engage in the odd bout of fisticuffs. Oddly, the best scrapper in the organization, pound for pound, is probably Carcone - unfortunately he goes about 5’9” 170 pounds! 

Pettersson's protector should be the very best in the league that can  be traded for, Gretzky had Seminko/McSorley, Yzerman had Probert/McCarty, Lemieux had Stevens, McDavid got Lucic/Maroon, Gradin had Smyl/Fraser, Bure had Gino, Ronning had Momesso, Bossy had Gilles/Nystrom and Dennis the menace, Orr had well they had to hold him back ditto with Howe.

There have always been "protectors" for the best players in the league.

Trade for Lucic or Reeves.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Just how many stupid reactionary threads are needed about the Pettersson hit?

40, if that’s what it takes for this fan base  to make our voice heard, we simply don’t care for it, and in a way feel betrayed after all the tough talk around Gudbransons role on the team, and adding the three amigos this summer.  Sure they didn’t know at the time, but with video available to check the hit and time left on the clock there was zero response by the coaching staff to make them aware.  

The bright side is he will be back soon, and hopefully this becomes a learning experience.  As a fan that watched the Sedins take verbal and physical abuse from the media and the actual players with little retribution, I think we could all agree we don’t want the same for the next core group.  A team needs to respond and have each other’s back, it doesn’t even matter if it was Goldobin or a lesser player that was injured on the play...fight back for crying out loud!  Don’t take s$?t from nobody.  Put Schaller on the line if they have to, or go find the toughest SOB in the AHL and trade for him and let him patrol for awhile until the message is received.   The NHL will never suspend the players into submission despite some efforts and the ridiculous recent Wilson debacle, the code exists for a reason, it’s time it starts to matter again.  We are a bottom team, last time we were management  made sure there was always a revolving door of tough customers in the lineup to protect the team and make sure that opponents were honest (Brashear, Ciccone, McAllister, even some goalies that were tough in Snow, Burke and Cloutier), it’s yet to been seen if what we bought is good enough, they failed miserably last night...

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

So you think Pettersson should continue to play with Goldy and LE and have no one who will step up for him?

Because that is clearly no solution...  the rest of the NHL will not stop this kind of behaviour if there is not a deterrent on the ice.

The rest of the NHL will not stop this behaviour regardless of whether there's a "deterrent" or not. Having to answer the bell isn't going to stop anyone in today's nhl. They'll just answer it, fight, and go on about their business. anyone who thinks that hit doesn't happen if there's a tough guy on that line is fooling themselves. The days of guys like odjick and semenko being an effective deterrent are long gone. The instigator rule and league culture have made sure of that. 

Archived